QB Blaine Gabbert

I can understand some unrest because of the coaching situation, but the thing I will never understand for the life of me is how these players act like the coaches are the only reason they come to a school.

Tomorrow, their HS coach could decide it is time to quit or retire. Are they going to stop playing at their HS because of it? If they go to the NFL, their coach(es) could be fired at a moments notice, are they going to hold out until they find out about their situation then? Or if they go into the job world and their boss resigns or takes another job, will they quit and look elsewhere just based on that alone?

Familiarity is fine, but remember, you chose Nebraska because ONE of its qualities were the coaches.

When Gabbert, Compton and Givens were recruiting so hard for Nebraska, were they recruiting hard for the school they were about to play for, or were they doing it for the coaches?

They have to remember, they are signing to play for Nebraska and putting on a helmet with that glorious red 'N' on the side, not a picture of Callahan's face.

If the main reasons they were coming to Nebraska were for the coaches, then they were coming for the wrong reasons to begin with.

So, when you look at a job you only look at the company, not at the boss you'll be reporting to? It's unrealistic to expect kids to play at Nebraska only because it's Nebraska and has a great tradition. They need to consider the whole package.

FYI .... Posted earlier today at InsideMizzou

Breaking News: Gabbert Will Visit Mizzou

"Missouri has been there from the get-go." By Jeff Ermann

InsideMizzou

Posted Oct 17, 2007

Parkway West quarterback Blaine Gabbert, the No. 1 rated player in Missouri and the No. 4 quarterback in the nation, is reconsidering his commitment to Nebraska and will be in Columbia this Saturday for the Mizzou-Texas Tech game, InsideMizzou.com has learned.

Parkway West (Mo.) quarterback Blaine Gabbert, the No. 1 rated player in Missouri and the No. 4 quarterback in the nation, is reconsidering his commitment to Nebraska.He will be in Columbia this Saturday for the Mizzou-Texas Tech game and is closely considering Missouri, InsideMizzou.com has learned.

“Yes, he will be in Columbia this Saturday for the game,” Parkway West coach Mike Roth told InsideMizzou.com. “There’s a lot going on at Nebraska and a lot of uncertainty, and Blaine wants to take another look at his options … Yeah, I think he is starting to look around.”

Gabbert also considered Alabama and others before committing to Nebraska this past summer, but Roth has not heard anything about the Crimson Tide getting back into the mix.

“The only school he has mentioned to me is Missouri,” Roth said. “Missouri has been right there from the get-go. He’s got a lot of respect for coach Pinkel, coach Ford and coach Yost. It would be a great opportunity for him to come in and learn for a year under a great, great leader in Chase Daniel. That experience would be invaluable.”

Nebraska has foundered, suffering blowout losses to Mizzou and Oklahoma State the last two weeks and firing athletic director Steve Pederson, leaving the status of the entire coaching staff in doubt.

“There’s a lot of uncertainty with all of the coaches there. Coach Cosgrove is someone who Blaine had formed a strong relationship with,” Roth said. “Missouri is right up the road and coach Pinkel has it rolling right now. Missouri was always one of his top choices.”

InsideMizzou.com will keep you posted on this blockbuster breaking story…

All of this was to be expected. With all of this going on, I would love to be a fly on the wall when this coaching staff talks to these recruits. I really wonder what has been said. I heard and interview with one of the wide recievers from the raiders and the comment was made that Callahan gave up on the team and didn't want to be there and this persons also said "I wouldn't want to ever relive that". That being said, I wonder what has been said and what will be said. I really hope Callahan doesn't have such a bad taste in his mouth or be malicious twoard the program. Just a thought. I don't know anything that would point twoards this and this is just a thought.

I can understand some unrest because of the coaching situation, but the thing I will never understand for the life of me is how these players act like the coaches are the only reason they come to a school.

Tomorrow, their HS coach could decide it is time to quit or retire. Are they going to stop playing at their HS because of it? If they go to the NFL, their coach(es) could be fired at a moments notice, are they going to hold out until they find out about their situation then? Or if they go into the job world and their boss resigns or takes another job, will they quit and look elsewhere just based on that alone?

Familiarity is fine, but remember, you chose Nebraska because ONE of its qualities were the coaches.

When Gabbert, Compton and Givens were recruiting so hard for Nebraska, were they recruiting hard for the school they were about to play for, or were they doing it for the coaches?

They have to remember, they are signing to play for Nebraska and putting on a helmet with that glorious red 'N' on the side, not a picture of Callahan's face.

If the main reasons they were coming to Nebraska were for the coaches, then they were coming for the wrong reasons to begin with.

So, when you look at a job you only look at the company, not at the boss you'll be reporting to? It's unrealistic to expect kids to play at Nebraska only because it's Nebraska and has a great tradition. They need to consider the whole package.

Number 1 message board rule -- read and interpret the entire post, do not cherry pick a statement.

As I said, the coaches (or boss) is one reason you chose a school (or job). Would it be the entire reason? If it is, you are making the wrong decision to begin with.

But by 'whole package', you are getting into what I am talking about. Before the unrest with the coaches, they were happy with NU. The 'whole package' was fine, correct? All the reasons (i.e., tradition, academics, fan support, teammates, exposure) are the same, only the coaches are different. The 'whole package' is the same, except for one part. Why does that take away from everything else these same players were trying to sell others on? It shouldn't.

You really almost validate my point. Thanks. ;)

Hey, if we learned anything from the Callahan era, it's that highly-rated recruits aren't worth crap unless they are properly coached and prepared.

Give me a great coach, and I won't care where our recruiting class ends up.

Joel Mackovicka made a similar comment on 1620 the other night.

With our current staff, i think we are seeing the importance of coaching.

But this doesn't minimize the importance of recruiting. Imo, there are three elements:

recruiting, coaching, stregth training and development. Being excellent in one of these areas can make up for a deficiency in the others, but also a deficiency in any one of these can undermine success in the other areas. It depends, but to be truly great you have to have all three.

We're learning the hard way about the importance of coaching. Hopefully we don't have to learn about the others the hard way too.

It amazes me that people are shocked that we could lose him, in light of the fact that everyone believes there will be a coaching change in our program. That is what happens when you change coaches every 4 years -- there are dead recruiting years. The truth is that to build a dominant program, you need solid recruiting and performances for 5 to 8 years in a row. That gives the program momentum to push into dynasty status. If we are changing coaches, we are going right back to the beginning and starting over, so forget about keeping recruits like this one.

Jeremy Crabtree said he is probably going to Mizzou, that stinks I take back what I said before about him staying. I now will look at his struggling as him being a bad player and hope he doesn't do good as a tiger

Yeah Crabtree said Missouri came back into the picture with the thumping they gave us in Columbia. On his visit this weekend he's supposed to be spending alot of time with Chase Daniels.

Speculation, but I think the reason they wanted to come here is because Callahan was selling them a program that would get them a "better shot at the NFL"

Jeremy Crabtree said he is probably going to Mizzou, that stinks I take back what I said before about him staying. I now will look at his struggling as him being a bad player and hope he doesn't do good as a tiger

Yeah Crabtree said Missouri came back into the picture with the thumping they gave us in Columbia. On his visit this weekend he's supposed to be spending alot of time with Chase Daniels.

he's gone. but we still have lee and witt.

when we have a chance to run it up on MU I will be mad if we dont do it. the need to be sent a message.

It would help if we could get some kind of stability going in the program soon. Kids don't have to make final decisions yet, but it is late and lots of scholarships are promised. I'm sure TO on down are looking at this and will do whatever is needed to prevent major defections if possible. We may be in for a poor last half of the season with all the problems and distractions. That probably doesn't help, but on the other hand their is a major commitment from the school to move forward.