They say hindsight is 20/20

Was firing Frank Solich the right move or the wrong move?  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

this debate was interesting right after Solush was fired. It was still a little interesting after year 1 of the Callahan Era. Now 3 years later it is about as interesting as watching paint dry.

the only reason i check this out is to see what other drivel can be posted about this subject.

hopefully it will be closed soon enough, because i would hate for it to be going when spring practice starts this month

Yeah getting rid of solich was the right move, if a year later than it should have been. Solich couldnt recruit, and coached not to lose. Only two games in his career were coached to win. 2001 vs OU with the reverse throw to Crouch. ANd his last game vs CU.

I like Callahan. He is a great recruiter, which Solich was not. People knock his playcalling this year, but last season it was the exact opposite. We couldnt get things started in the first half and took off in the second half. So I will refrain from a judgement on it at this point. There were also plenty of great calls later in games. The 3rd down pass vs Texas, the call was great and it worked, but Nunn fumbled, it was still a great call. The end of the game vs A&M was called good too.

We are closer now to a big 12 championship than we have been sence 99. The record alone may not be indicative of how the season went. Play lots of creampuffs and of coarse the record will be better, but play a tough slate, and you take a risk of a few more losses. We played better vs the elite teams than we have in ages. We didnt beat the teams, but we were alot close and had them on the ropes at times. We are getting closer to where we want to be, and if we had retained Solich, we may well still be on a downward spiral.

Yeah getting rid of solich was the right move, if a year later than it should have been. Solich couldnt recruit, and coached not to lose. Only two games in his career were coached to win. 2001 vs OU with the reverse throw to Crouch. ANd his last game vs CU.

I like Callahan. He is a great recruiter, which Solich was not. People knock his playcalling this year, but last season it was the exact opposite. We couldnt get things started in the first half and took off in the second half. So I will refrain from a judgement on it at this point. There were also plenty of great calls later in games. The 3rd down pass vs Texas, the call was great and it worked, but Nunn fumbled, it was still a great call. The end of the game vs A&M was called good too.

We are closer now to a big 12 championship than we have been sence 99. The record alone may not be indicative of how the season went. Play lots of creampuffs and of coarse the record will be better, but play a tough slate, and you take a risk of a few more losses. We played better vs the elite teams than we have in ages. We didnt beat the teams, but we were alot close and had them on the ropes at times. We are getting closer to where we want to be, and if we had retained Solich, we may well still be on a downward spiral.

I am by no means or have I ever been a Frank fan, but Callahan has also coached "not to win." See the 2006 USC game. I believe he didn't really try to win the 2004 OU game also.

Am I the only one that is tired of this debate?

No.

Maybe we should run every topic by you to make sure it measures up in your interest meter?

I saw the phrase "offensive genious" thrown around here when referring to Callahan. I hope that that "genious" can some how figure out how to put up more that a couple of touchdowns a game against good teams otherwise he will never beat a ranked team.

1.I regards to Solich v. Callahan you have to look at what each one was able to do. FS took a team to the championship game in his 4th season as HC, most of the players being his recruits. He took a team that had been to 1 bowl game in it's history and won 6 games combined in the 4 years prior to him 2. at Ohio, and he led them to 9 wins and a bowl in his second season. He has won about 70% of his games. There should be 3 more of his NU recruits from this year's NU team playing in the NFL.

Callahan has won about 50% of his games, led NU to its first losing season in 40 years and has only finished in the top 25 once in 3 years. His offense in his 3rd year finally looked good against bad teams and below-average against decent/good teams. His adjustments are Solich-like. He is supposedly a good recruiter but his 2005 class is falling apart. He seems to be a poor evaluator of talent, as he struck out on the easiest position to evalute in PK Congdon. He still has alot to prove.

If you look at coaching resumes, Solich has by far the better resume. If Callahan were that great of a coach the NFL would have come calling in the past couple of years.

That being said, Frank didn't get the job done and Bill has yet to either. Time will tell.

1. And what happened at the end of that season? The beatdown to the puffs, and the Nationally televised slaughter to Thug U. He also took a masterful offense and revolved it around one player.

2. What conference is Ohio in? The MAC? Oh god, i can take a pack of (sorry about this) retarded midgets with a spidermonkey for a QB and Win the MAC title.

THIS IS OLD AS HELL, IT WAS THE RIGHT MOVE, GRAB THE KLEENEX AND PAT YOUR EYES DRY, WIPE UP THE SPILLED MILK AND MOVE THE F**K ON!

I am by no means or have I ever been a Frank fan, but Callahan has also coached "not to win." See the 2006 USC game. I believe he didn't really try to win the 2004 OU game also.
The idea that any coach on any level in any sport would not try to win a game has to got to be the most ludicrous idea I have ever heard.