Callahan gets a little upset

Hunter, I doubt anyone would honestly care. Look at Jared Glover, no one really gave him crap for de-committing. And why? Because he knew what he wanted, and even if it wasn't Nebraska he let the coaches know the minute his mind began to change. He was a man about his decision, and I respect him for it.

It's when Travis Lewis knew of his intentions, and handled it the way he did. Not only that, but to then blame our coaches afterward that royally pisses alot of people off.

From the way I understand it, Lewis and Ian Harris had a nice little laugh over the whole situation. Should tell you alot about what really happened.

Hunter, I doubt anyone would honestly care. Look at Jared Glover, no one really gave him crap for de-committing. And why? Because he knew what he wanted, and even if it wasn't Nebraska he let the coaches know the minute his mind began to change. He was a man about his decision, and I respect him for it.

It's when Travis Lewis knew of his intentions, and handled it the way he did. Not only that, but to then blame our coaches afterward that royally pisses alot of people off.

From the way I understand it, Lewis and Ian Harris had a nice little laugh over the whole situation. Should tell you alot about what really happened.

You guys are kinda touchy, I didn't come in here to S@#T stirr you all, just to have some conversation.

If Stoops call a recruits mom, I wouldn't like it. In fact Stoops really wanted the QB that you guys have now. He called about 10 times trying to talk to his dad and change his mind.

I heard the interview with Travis, his is not a EDITED FOR CONTENT READ THE RULES NOT EVEN IN THE WOODSHED DO YOU USE SLURS --RAWHIDE, but seems to be real level headed and knows what he wants. Evidently he should have let Bill know earlier but like he said, he would call and then get cold-feet. He wanted to be closer to home.

And by the way we are not hillbillys, we are rednecks. Hillybillys are in the hills in the SEC conference.

Can you imangine Osborne indicting a fan base like that. When a coach blasts a fan base he is blasting the whole conference. Ames? Stoolwater? Lawrance? Manhattan? Lubbuck? College Station? even Lincoln, not bastions like Chicago where Bill is from.

But anyway I didn't start the name calling, you guys did. I have always enjoyed discussing football through the years with Neb fans, I guess this has changed too. Hey, we have had our share of problems, you bet.

There is no one without sin .

37, do not talk about classy and Travis Lewis together.

Lewis knew his decision for a month leading up until he called Coach Callahan. He didn't make it public, or even to the coaches until Coach Callahan could not recruit anyone else. He stated he was afraid of the backlash from the media and how the coaches would react.

These coaches put in thousands of hours recruiting, don't you think the least you could do is be considerate and tell them ahead of time, if you know your true decision?

In life, you get what you give. When Travis showed his amount of respect for our coaches in how he handled his commitment status, I am glad Coach Callahan called him out on it.

It's just simply a direct slap in the face to not only Coach Callahan, but the entire coaching staff how he handled that situation.

I'll admit..I know very little about Travis..And it doesn't matter to me now how classy or not he is...He is NOT representing My school...He could steal playbooks for all I care.

A 50 Year old coach IS representing Nebraska.

I'm beginning to like Callahan a little more as I get to hear him speak, but I'm also a little embarrased if He really did call Travis' Mom and complain. What purpose did it serve? Even if you could change his mind, are you sure you want someone that is more likely to change his mind and bolt for North Carolina a year or two later?

I realize it's a little condesending of me to expect everyone to be a "Stoic Nebraskan", especially if they're from Chicago (not that there's anything wrong with that...as far as I know)...But..

Rule #1..You don't make Girls cry...especially someone's Mom or Wife.

Rule #2...I forget..Get a Job?

Rule #1..You don't make Girls cry...especially someone's Mom or Wife.

No kidding. Just let it go. Why go back AFTER the fact for a SECOND phonecall with his mom no less? Geeeez, don't give the fodder! :hmmph

Btw, isn't it a bit hypocritical of us, being condescending to what seems to be a non-confrontational Sooner, of which we most always have high regards, when we ourselves are obsessed with them? :dunno

Case in point, this recent and long standing thread on this huskerboard.

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15170

Face it, we are a "house divided" folks.

Interesting read to put it a little bit better in perspective..

Dan McCarney

Dan McCarney: Rush for early commitments has a price

Web Posted: 02/07/2007 11:01 PM CST

San Antonio Express-News

Looking resplendent in a charcoal gray suit and white Oklahoma hat, a gigantic smile plastered on his face, Lee standout Travis Lewis couldn't have been any happier after signing with the Sooners on Wednesday on National Signing Day.

As for how he reached his decision, Lewis wasn't quite so proud.

Lewis had been committed to Nebraska since November, after he had taken official visits to both schools. But with Signing Day less than a week away, a gnawing sense of doubt led Lewis to realize Norman, not Lincoln, was where he'd rather be.

"The worst thing about changing my mind was telling (the coaches at) Nebraska," Lewis said. "I've gotten hate mail already. I can't blame them. I did commit, and I went back on my word. But it's the next four or five years of my life, not theirs and not the coaches.

"I pushed myself to make a decision too fast. If I had it to do over, I would have waited."

Such is the fallout in the era of early commitments.

At a time when colleges are pushing harder than ever before to land pre-Signing Day pledges, late defections like Lewis' are becoming more common.

Churchill tight end Ian Harris committed to Nebraska, then Missouri, and finally to Texas after the Longhorns made a January swoop. They did the same with Clemens defensive tackle Tyrell Higgins, talking him out of the commitment he made to Oklahoma State last summer.

(Churchill quarterback Nick Fanuzzi also switched schools, from Miami to Alabama, but his decision was based more on the firing of Hurricanes coach Larry Coker than cold feet.)

Like Lewis, Harris and Higgins regret not taking their time.

"The whole recruiting process is crazy," Harris said. "When schools offer early, it's hard not to be tempted. I'd tell guys to avoid getting sucked in."

Colleges operate under a different set of rules than the recruits they pursue so fervently. While players are free to follow their whims, teams rarely back out of the scholarships they have offered.

That security is one of the main lures of committing early. Have a poor senior year, or suffer a career-ending injury, and your education is still getting paid for. There is no such safety net for schools, which are left scrambling for replacements when players break their word.

In those terms, the villains and victims seem clear cut.

But from another standpoint, it's hard to have much sympathy for the cash cow that is college football, where schools rake in money hand over fist for the pittance of a few scholarships.

With that reality in mind, Higgins couldn't have picked a better way to explain his reason for jilting Oklahoma State.

"This was a business decision," he said, "and I had to look out for myself first."

In other words, Texa$$ made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

If Higgins sounds like a mercenary, he's not. Nor are Lewis and Harris. In discussing their circumstances, all three came across as intelligent, mature and entirely sincere. They made the decision they believed was best for them, and they regret any hurt feelings along the way.

"(The OSU coaches) were pretty mad at me," Higgins said. "They were ignoring my phone calls. I 100 percent sympathize with them. They had a kid they thought was coming, and I feel sorry about that."

Rather than assign blame, we'll simply call it the price of doing business in today's college football. If you push for early commitments, be prepared to accept the consequences when your target realizes he might not have done enough homework.

Nice find Husker37. There probably needs to be some sort of reform in the way that the process is going on. I would prefer it if kid's didn't commit till the very end. Make the best decision for themselves and don't open themselves up to fans hating them for changing their mind. It's probably hard for a 17-18 year old to deal with that.

Nice find Husker37. There probably needs to be some sort of reform in the way that the process is going on. I would prefer it if kid's didn't commit till the very end. Make the best decision for themselves and don't open themselves up to fans hating them for changing their mind. It's probably hard for a 17-18 year old to deal with that.

Yeah..But then you have more pressure for a longer period of time from recruiters/Fans/Family/Mailings/Phonecalls...

I remember seeing all the recycleing my Brother had to do for all the mailings that was sent to my Nephew a couple years ago...And he wasn't even a 3* recruit.

Didn't Johnny Rodgers consider having his Son, Terry decline the Scholarship and just walk-on and support himself by writing a "Day in the Life of a Husker" column for one of the local papers?

First of all...

After watching Lewis in that Army All-star game I came away disappointed. He looked slow and tentative.

Then after listening to online recruit services guru Tom Lemming who was part of the game and observed all the practices I was sold. Tom is on record saying the same. He was much slower than expected and slower than all the other backs. Plus on top of things he balked at playing LB for the game. Wasn't crazy about doing it. He did not impress anyone that week.

Now lets see. We recruited him to play LB. No way he plays RB here with the stable already here wouldn't one think? Why waste a schollie on him if he pulls a Beck or Jackson (insert a good 20 players or so too while we are at it) and wants to bolt for greener pastures after a yr? He wants to play RB and OU has said they will give him a look at the spot. I won't be surprised to see he changes positions and plays elsewhere. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his mind after a yr at OU and xfers somewhere else too.

Sorry but the kid didn't look like a 4 or 5 star recruit in Lemming's eyes and didn't in mines as well. (He runs a 4.3? Yeah right... )

I'd expect a coach to be upset if he has any competitive nature at all. I'd also expect each and every one of you to be upset if I went back on my word to you. Yes he's young and yes he may have learned a lesson. It's been said "you are only as good as your word". I don't ever recally anyone putting an age limit on that..........In either case I wish him luck as long as it's not at our expense.

You know sometimes these recruiting visits are more about mom and dad than they are the kid. I seem to remember a certain line backer that was coming to Nebraska, but dad put in a SC hat to pull out of the bag. Maybe mom is the one that gave her word, funnier things happen. Maybe the coach felt she made the committment to him and wanted to call her on it.

As stated before, we know very little of the inner workings of this program. In fact that is the way it should be. And until we know both sides of the story, most likely never, we can speculate, complain and bitch, or we can support our coach and know he is doing everything he can to win. Uh I think that is his main job, not satisfying a bunch of internet geeks.