Looks to be some major tension amongst alumni football players

The ex-players reunion today at Himark Golf Course is directly opposite the third annual Nebraska Lettermen's Club golf tournament, sponsored by the athletic department, at Wilderness Ridge.

The alternate event - billed as "Fun The Original Husker Way" - is partly a tribute to team physician Dr. Pat Clare and to former Nebraska football trainer Doak Ostergard, who was dismissed without public explanation in February after 18 years at the school overall.

As of early this week, 32 foursomes had committed to the alternate golf event, organizers said. That event is free. Osborne is among those set to attend.

As of Thursday, 20 foursomes were set for the athletic department event, N Club President Mitch Krenk said. That event charges $50 for golf. Osborne and Solich said they weren't invited to the athletic department tournament.

Seems to be some strife between ex-players. Some really dislike the new regime and feel the past is worth living on

Wait a minute, wait a minute, before we go and start bashing former huskers for not supporting the current regime, read the bottom line of the quote:

Osborne and Solich said they weren't invited to the athletic department tournament.

Maybe blame can be placed on both sides???

Regardless, the blame goes on those who scheduled the alternate event. Ultimately, the purpose had to be to create the appearance of division and to start a pissing match.

Furthermore, read the following:

"I didn't know when this was set up it was in conflict with the university's," Osborne said. "But I did get an invitation from Bill Callahan and Steve Pederson to come to the other deal, but I committed to come here and play golf."

Osborne said the ex-players held a meeting before they hit the greens and agreed to do whatever they can to support the football program.

"We emphasized we were going to be loyal to the present and we're not living in the past," the former coach and U.S. representative said.

http://www.ketv.com/bigredzone/11862337/detail.html

Wait a minute, wait a minute, before we go and start bashing former huskers for not supporting the current regime, read the bottom line of the quote:

Osborne and Solich said they weren't invited to the athletic department tournament.

Regardless, the blame goes on those who scheduled the alternate event. Ultimately, the purpose had to be to create the appearance of division and to start a pissing match.

"I didn't know when this was set up it was in conflict with the university's," Osborne said. "But I did get an invitation from Bill Callahan and Steve Pederson to come to the other deal, but I committed to come here and play golf."

Osborne said the ex-players held a meeting before they hit the greens and agreed to do whatever they can to support the football program.

"We emphasized we were going to be loyal to the present and we're not living in the past," the former coach and U.S. representative said.

So we have conflicting info. I don't know where ETR got that info, but someone got their story screwed up. I can't say I necessarily blame the folks who set up the alternative event. Maybe the got and invite, maybe they didn't, I like their thinking. It's kinda like if I can't go to this party, I'll just start my own and make it better.

This kind of division is not good for the program any way you look at it. The worst thing is that these are guys that our younger players see as mentors, the alumni support at Lincoln is one of the best in the country, the last thing that I personally want to see is that get tarnished just because someone’s invitation got "lost in the mail". There are greater tragedies in life. And it does not matter if we run the Option offense or the West Coast. No matter the scheme, they are all still HUSKERS and they should start acting like it.

But They're not part of the Athletic Dept. Maybe IWCC or Creighton will throw a golf tourny, then he'd be able to go

Nice quote by Osborne. Who knows if this will help

Anyone watch Sports Soundoff last night with Fat Trav and Clester Johnson? The Sandman called in to the show and he tore up Steve Pederson. He seems to believe that there is a lot of shady crap going down that is beyond repair. Of course he wouldn't, or couldn't elaborate and give any details, just a broad opinion.

Of course he wouldn't, or couldn't elaborate and give any details, just a broad opinion.
Of course he can't. Talk about shady. You'd think if he cared that much he'd explain. What does he have to lose? I suppose if he doesn't explain, he doesn't have the opportunity to lose any credibility with his fellow anti-Huskers. He's got the mystique of a former player and for a lot of people, that's all that he needs.

Maybe it's because like you said, they are just broad sweeping accusations from a guy who lives in Texas.

Hopefully anyone that has a Rival subscription will read a post on RSS from a former player who says this whole "being alienated" from the program is more from the players doing than it is the administration. Without going into details, as it is premium info, former players are all invited to practices and receieve detailed practice schedules to plan when they can come.

I understand that not having the coaches you played for here would make it a little uncomfortable, but I have not read one instance where these disgruntled players ever gave a specific instance where they were not allowed to participate in football affairs. All they say is they feel like outsiders or don't feel connected. Perhaps if they made a greater effort, they wouldn't feel this way. JMHO.

IMO the majority of the fans can see that there are always two sides to every story. New coaching staff means that the personal ties to the program are broken. The university was here long before these players and it will be here long after. Same with the football program. While the university should have the fore sight to reach out to many former players to help continue to build the program these same former players should have the fore sight to realize that they need to reach out to the program as well if they want to be a part of it.

For these guys it's a lot like going back to your old neighborhood only none of the same people are there and most of the buildings have been replaced with new ones. Sure they don't feel a part of it..............it's because they are not part of it. They can be again if they choose to be but that doesn't mean that they don't need to put forth some effort.

I heard Tommy F. going off on the radio, the DJ really pushing him to do so, and I was really disappointed in him. I've never really held him in high regard as a person but even less so after the interview.

TO handled himself with dignity as he always does but most forget that when he left the program he chose NOT to associate himself with the program because he felt he would be a distraction. This was a very wise decision because he was correct. Now however may be the time for him to find a way to become more involved. Possibly buy building that touchy feely environment that so many of the players mention.