It's off-season - let's play what if......

I tend to agree with skers - i.e. he is doing everything right and the 10+ wins season are soon to become a regular appearance. I'm not exactly sure what the timing is of his current contract; however, I believe he signed a six year agreement in approximately January of 2003. That means his contract is up in January of 09. I also realize that in today's sports world, almost no-one plays out the last year of their contract unless it is obvious that they are not wanted back at the end (i.e. most get extensions prior to the last year). This means we MUST give him an extension prior to January of 08 or risk the chance of him not wanting an extension to "play the market" so to speak. I believe SP will do that, but am unsure of his current contract status with the Chancellor.

The days of coaches staying out of pure loyalty are gone. This is a business and really needs to be treated as one. That being said, from everything I've heard, I do believe Callahan is and will be one of the most loyal coaches around.

Ya gotta wait a least a yr. Lets see what happens this yr. Its not like we have been setting the world on fire yet. Ranked once in the last 3 yrs and barely at that. We need to see more improvement I think before we start talking extention. No NU coach has averaged 5 losses in his first 3 yrs going back to 1960. No matter who's recruits you had. At least a yr. Lose 5 again and you wait another yr too.

That would be correct...if we weren't talking about Solich's recruits. I can't add anymore to this conversation since 'skers is hittin the nail on every post :clap

The year after Nutt pulled his great magic, he and his team was along side NU during the holidays with no bowl to play in. Nutt is supposedly a great recruiter, but up until last year he has done absolutely nothing at Arkansas. IMO, Nutt should have been fired after the 04 season. He cried wolf and brought in a boatload of cash to himself only to have Arkansas win 6 games in 04.

If in 6 years a coach can't bring back BCS games, Big 12 Championship, etc. to a historic program; then I see no reason for a new contract or extension. It isn't like NU is Baylor University or anything like that. It's just like Alabama. If Saban doesn't have them back in contention in 6 years, I'm sure he'll be out. Why do you think there was the turnover at OU before Stoops got there? And, OU was coming off of probation. Look at Miami. If you don't get it done in terms of winning championships at schools where you are supposed to, you are replaced plain and simple. I realize NU made it to the Big 12 championship last year. However, Barnett made it how many years? And, he was fired! Making it to the Big 12 championship especially for a North team really has lost it's luster in the last 5 years. For crying out oud, Iowa State was almost the North representative 2 years running.

If at the end of 6 years we are still having 9-5 or 8-5 records, I think it will be very interesting to see what happens. After 6 years, it's pretty hard to still blame the previous staff's recruits. Unfortunately, none of us have a crystal ball. We're going to have to endure the next 2 years before thinking about a contract extension.

Sug,

I really do not think BC is concerned about the extension. I think most on here are more concerned about it than he seems to be.

That being said, I think some need to look at the motto.

The wins are not where we all want them I agree, but the program overall is in better shape than I can ever remember it being. We are having very minor problems with behavior. Graduation rate appears to be on par with the best, accademics seem to be rising. Athletes are attending classes.

We have a "rules are to be obeyed" attitude. No special privledges for the more talented.

Positive comments from the press.

National acceptance of our recruiting ideas.

Respect for the honesty of the recruiting program.

To me, at this time, these points are just as important as the win/loss record. I think he gets the extension, because of all he has done for the program. I trust the wins will come. I do not want to see any more OK State games either. But I still do not believe we are on a level field with the SC's, Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn and a few others. Gaining ground on a daily basis, but still a few steps behind.

In honesty he has one of the toughest jobs in the country. We never have been a recruiting mecca. He still needs time and our support. The extension would give him confidence to. I have heard no one works harder, and it appears there is light at the end of the tunnel. Time to show him we appreciate all he has done in very hard job.

This a great post and brings up a lot of interesting points.

All good points but the bottom line is you have to win too. This isn't Kansas or Missouri.

We have always been able to produce good if not great scholar athletes. That was already happening. The recruit thing is also overblown and overated. Besides, our great recruit class 2 yrs ago... over half of them have left. The thing about recruiting is perception often trumps reality. So if you recruit great teams on paper and it doesn't show in the record... ppl start looking at the staff.

That in the deed stuff is fine and dandy and great candy to eat... still the bottomline is wins and losses. That is what your program is measured by in the long run. I know Stevo has said its not nessarily the record that he goes by... still it isn't that way with the fans. We've seen too many champions and kinda know what it looks like now. I think the fans know hey we lose 5 games a yr... we won't be rated. So get us to that phase at least and then lets talk extention. We can always go get somebody who can recruit and put together a decent staff and system. Just like we found Bill. We can always get someone who will continue the fine academic record. We need someone to also take us to that next level too.

I think we have him.

But as stated the first day he was hired, it will take at least 5 years to know if he was the correct man for the job.

And I also agree that our recruiting has not been as good as some seem to think. We are not near the top programs in talent, never really have been. Our top recruiting class was a flop with all the defections. But they keep working toward depth and talent. Even now some are saying we have the number one class this year. Not even close at this time. Some read more into recruiting than is actually there. But we are recruiting at the top level. We never did that during the prior staff's tenure. Without the marbles, it is hard to play the game. BC is working on finding the right pieces to put this puzzle back together.

I am not harping for a contract extension. As I said more people on here are worried about one than the coach. I say he has earned one, I think it would do the program good to give it to him. But I will not complain if he is not given one this year. We have a very tough year ahead of us. With a unproven team to play those games. If he gets us through this year with a 9-4 record, I think he will get the extension. Anything better it is a certainty.

I think the job security card will work wonders with BC. But I could be wrong.

As stated before, I do not like Mr. Pederson, but he is doing a good job for the university.

I do like and have always liked BC. Again I think he is the right man for the job.

Those are two things we were lacking prior to his arrival. Most media had our program done long before Frank left.

If this was true then why have all of the NFL Draft pick (with the exception of B Jax) been Frank's kids? Does "being done" include when Frank was coaching for a National Championship in 2001?

We are not a top 10 program at this time.

Are you Bill Callahan? You sure sound like he did after the Cotton Bowl. Like Stew Bradley said, "Don't tell the players were are not a top 10 team."

but the program overall is in better shape than I can ever remember it being.

You must have not been a Husker fan for long. This program was in okay shape in the 90's, winning championships with "subpar" talent, graduating kids, academic All-Americans, Rhodes Scholars.

(Cue the tired old Christian Peter/Lawrence Phillips CBS takes)

And I also agree that our recruiting has not been as good as some seem to think. We are not near the top programs in talent, never really have been. Our top recruiting class was a flop with all the defections. But they keep working toward depth and talent. Even now some are saying we have the number one class this year. Not even close at this time. Some read more into recruiting than is actually there.

I agree with you on this point, but which one is it, are we at the top level recruiting or are we well below the top teams. You are contradicting yourself bud.

Without the marbles, it is hard to play the game.

Ask Boise State about that. You also have to know how to play the game, with or without the marbles. That's called good coaching.

At some point all the talk about recruiting, West Coast Offense, "NFL Style Defense," "closing the gap" blah, blah, blah, needs to stop. Give us something. Winning the worst division in major college football on a down year doesn't mean anything. Do something more than average 5 losses a year and actually finish in the top 20 and your argument might have merit.

Yes it does. We had no business in the NC game. We were trounced by a Colorado team, do you remember those days. Our only real quality win was against Oklahoma on our home field with a trick play. Oklahoma went on to lose in their bowl game also

BC has not been here long enough for any of his young players to be drafted. He recruited stop gap measures to get the program rolling.

Of all those drafted of Frank's compare those numbers to SC, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida State, Miami, Ohio State. Numbers do not lie. We had some quality players, but not the number to do the job. Which became evident as we went farther down the road with Frank.

That is not an attack on Frank. Still repsect all he did, but he was placed in a no win situation, there were many things that led to his demise. But recruiting and failing to do what his superior told him to do ended his run. When Tonm's kids left so did the future. Lack of talent is evident in the NFL draft over Frank's years and still to this day.

No I am not BC. But I have been saying we did not have the talent even when Frank was coaching. We do not nor did we have the depth to be a top ten program. Still do not. Period.

You are looking at a by gone era. Without top recruits that is not going to happen again. Back when we played maybe one or two real games a year. The competition is much tougher. The money to bring a program up is available at almost every major program now. We are not unique in our attitude. We can not just build road graders out of hometown Nebraska boys. Sad but I think true.

We are recruiting the top level kids. We are not getting anywhere the numbers that the top programs are. Pretty simple to understand.

I agree a top level win is needed this year. I think this is the year we turn things around, but it could be a very disappointing year very easily. You have to play the games. Hopefully both of us will be happy come January. But I still think he has at least another year after this before I start to question his direction.

one thing i worry about is assistant coaches defecting, if we keep winning. one thing with the old regime most of the coaches were from NE, played for NE or were somehow related to the Univ and never wanted to leave. that does play a big role in keeping continuity, being able to make it through adversity and attract quality talent that knows his recruiting coach will be there for the long haul. even replacing postion coaches can have an effect, at my college we had 3 DEnd coaches in my 4 years and it sucked to have to form a new bond every year. i hope the assistants at N are dedicated long haul like callahan is.

Yes it does. We had no business in the NC game. We were trounced by a Colorado team, do you remember those days. Our only real quality win was against Oklahoma on our home field with a trick play. Oklahoma went on to lose in their bowl game also

BC has not been here long enough for any of his young players to be drafted. He recruited stop gap measures to get the program rolling.

Of all those drafted of Frank's compare those numbers to SC, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida State, Miami, Ohio State. Numbers do not lie. We had some quality players, but not the number to do the job. Which became evident as we went farther down the road with Frank.

That is not an attack on Frank. Still repsect all he did, but he was placed in a no win situation, there were many things that led to his demise. But recruiting and failing to do what his superior told him to do ended his run. When Tonm's kids left so did the future. Lack of talent is evident in the NFL draft over Frank's years and still to this day.

No I am not BC. But I have been saying we did not have the talent even when Frank was coaching. We do not nor did we have the depth to be a top ten program. Still do not. Period.

You are looking at a by gone era. Without top recruits that is not going to happen again. Back when we played maybe one or two real games a year. The competition is much tougher. The money to bring a program up is available at almost every major program now. We are not unique in our attitude. We can not just build road graders out of hometown Nebraska boys. Sad but I think true.

We are recruiting the top level kids. We are not getting anywhere the numbers that the top programs are. Pretty simple to understand.

I agree a top level win is needed this year. I think this is the year we turn things around, but it could be a very disappointing year very easily. You have to play the games. Hopefully both of us will be happy come January. But I still think he has at least another year after this before I start to question his direction.

well skers, as usual your comprehension of the situation makes perfect sense to me. we can all find fault with something we don't like in the current coaching system, but by and large, you are correct, "Rome was not built in a day". Got to give Cally at least 3 more years to prove himself and the program certainly needs that time for holding on to stability as well.

One of things that people forget when comparing BC to Stoops or Meyer, is the fact that both them walked into talent laden programs. Zook and Blake gave them a tremendous head start over BC. Plus both are much easier to recruit to. Remember Meyer turned down his dream job to go to Florida. There was a reason and it starts with a capitol T.

And to further coment on the talent level, most media felt even while Tom was here that we were running an antequated system. He had the ability to overcome some things. But remember there were only 4 to 5 years of domination. Normally when it came time to play the big boys, Nebraska folded like a card house. That is the real situation. We won a lot of games there is no question, but when lined up against very talented teams with speed we had problems. Just another cycle of that situation I think.

I remember the grumblings about not winning the big one over and over. Losing to Oklahoma and how we sucked. But things change as time goes on. I just do not want to become another Alabama. A program with every bit as much tradition and history as Nebraska if not more. They still have not righted the ship. It as Hunter says takes time to build Rome.

I realize NU made it to the Big 12 championship last year. However, Barnett made it how many years? And, he was fired! Making it to the Big 12 championship especially for a North team really has lost it's luster in the last 5 years.

Barnett was NOT fired because of on field performance. He wasn't fired because he lost the Big 12 Championship games he played in. KSU won in 03 so you should have the last 3 years. Just pointing those things out.

I will take the losses and have a good clean program. I never want to be mentioned in the same breath as Colorado. When all that is important is wins and losses you end up on a path that leads to the likes of Miami and Colorado.

I know some feel differently about the wins and losses, but that is my stand. I want a program that I can be proud of on all fronts. BC has one more hurdle as far as I am concerned. I am hoping for him and this program he makes. This program will have many problems if we fire coaches again anytime soon. Set back and relax. Give it time to succeed or fail. Everything I see makes me think we are headed in the right direction, but I never felt it would happen overnight. So I may be a lot more patient than some.