A USC's fan prediction

it's not a personal attack at all. it's just a different attitude. a couple of the long time fans on this board have a little bit of a condescending attitude towards those of us who just happen to be born after them; but are no less allegiant to N. i got on this board cuz i AGREE with about 90% of what everyone has to say. especially the...'huskers' part! i didn't mean you guys were whiners, i was referring to allbuffs.com and ksu sights i have been to. all they do is bitch and complain.

i hope we win so we can all celebrate together. i would gladly buy the first and second rounds!! :cheers

i guess i throw out ideas i have that i believe give us a chance to win. so i just don't want to be told any kind of what i think is optimism is "rose-colored-glasses-wishful-thinking-i'll-understand-someday-when-im-older" reproach. anyway.... :boxosoap

My coments were to the poster that said we had equal talent and speed. Those are rose colored glasses. They may even be electric rose colored glasses!

I also said we could win, but if we do it will be because of coaching, showing faith in our staff.

I could care less how long anyone has been a fan. I said you got to love them because they are Nebraska fans.

I said I thought we would win, but would not bet on it.

There are few on this thread that have more love or loyalty to this program. I appreciate your reasons we could or can win, but when someone says we have equal talent I call it BS. We may have equal talent, but this team is totally unproven. After the SC game I may change my mind about our level of talent, but until I see it, I will not say it is there. Those that make that coment take away from the hard work that BC is in the middle of. Because if we should lose, it will all come down to his coaching failure. I do not believe we will lose due to his coaching.

One of the reasons I am defensive on this talent issue goes back before most were born. A young coach, I think his name was Tom Osborne, was handed the keys to a back to back National championship team. Within a couple of years and no NC rumblings started that he wasn't a very good coach, we needed the other guy back. He sucks as a head coach, you know we almost drove him off. I wonder where that program would have been with out him. Too high of expectations almost drove him off and he started with a lot more than BC did. I don't think BC is going anywhere, but remember TO did investegate going to Colorado, the reason. The unrealistic expectations of the FANS. He grew to embrace it. But it put a lot of preasure on the staff at the time. That was with out Internet and daily broadcast about Nebraska football. Things move a lot quicker now days.

Again, pretty much everything we take into this game is unproven. We are not a young team, but we lack experience at the most important places against a team that is the current dynasty of college football.

Let's look at a different route. Lets say that NU and USC match-up precisely in talent.

Then it might come down to big plays, turnovers and luck and all those variables are a push also.

So then it comes down to coaching, well Pete Caroll will out coach BC everytime.

So since USC has alot more talent and better coaching yes I could see them hanging 30 or 40 on us with no problem.

I disagree on the coaching.

Pete was pretty much a failure in the NFL.

BC had his moments.

Currently you have to go with PC over BC.

But I think as the talent gets to where BC wants it, you will see a tremendous growth in his coaching. Talent wins games, it always has.

I do not think anyone is going to put 30-40 points on us again, unless it is a shootout. I think we will be in every game we play. WE may not win them, but we will play everyone tough. That is the coach and his adapting to the Nebraska way.

The building blocks are coming into place, I just want the staff to get the time to do the job I think they are capable of. Too much expectation, sometimes causes problems. If we lose two games this year I will be a happy camper, unless it is to Ball State and Oklahoma State. That would be failure. Losses to Texas and SC would hurt, but I could live with it. I just want to see a win at all cost attitude this year. Put it all on the field, the best team wins.

My copments were to the poster that said we had equal talent and speed. Those are rose colored glasses. They may even be electric rose colored glasses!

I also said we could win, but if we do it will be because of coaching, showing faith in our staff.

I could care less how long anyone has been a fan. I said you got to love them because they are Nebraska fans.

I said I thought we would win, but would not bet on it.

There are few on this thread that have more love or loyalty to this program. I appreciate your reasons we could or can win, but when someone says we have equal talent I call it BS. We may have equal talent, but this team is totally unproven. After the SC game I may change my mind about our level of talent, but until I see it, I will not say it is there. Those that make that coment take away from the hard work that BC is in the middle of. Because if we should lose, it will all come down to his coaching failure. I do not believe we will lose due to his coaching.

One of the reasons I am defensive on this talent issue goes back before most were born. A young coach, I think his name was Tom Osborne, was handed the keys to a back to back National championship team. Within a couple of years and no NC rumblings started that he wasn't a very good coach, we needed the other guy back. He sucks as a head coach, you know we almost drove him off. I wonder where that program would have been with out him. Too high of expectations almost drove him off and he started with a lot more than BC did. I don't think BC is going anywhere, but remember TO did investegate going to Colorado, the reason. The unrealistic expectations of the FANS. He grew to embrace it. But it put a lot of preasure on the staff at the time. That was with out Internet and daily broadcast about Nebraska football. Things move a lot quicker now days.

Again, pretty much everything we take into this game is unproven. We are not a young team, but we lack experience at the most important places against a team that is the current dynasty of college football.

Well stated.

The building blocks are coming into place, I just want the staff to get the time to do the job I think they are capable of. Too much expectation, sometimes causes problems. If we lose two games this year I will be a happy camper, unless it is to Ball State and Oklahoma State. That would be failure. Losses to Texas and SC would hurt, but I could live with it. I just want to see a win at all cost attitude this year. Put it all on the field, the best team wins.

I agree with that.

Well I think you could say the same for BC's NFL career.

Yes he did go to a Super Bowl, but I don't think he drove that car their. It was more like he was along for the ride.

Similar to Seifert at the 49ers.

More goes into it than just talent. If it was talent alone, USC Texas, Florida and LSU would never lose any game that wasnt played with one of the other listed teams.

All had loses last year. Did Oregon State or UCLA have more talent than USC? not a chance. But they got the W. KSU is drasticly far behind Texas in talent, yet pulled the win.

You get no argument from me that USC has more talent. But dont use it as a cop-out and say there is no way NU can pull the upset. While at this stage I am uncertain if NU will, pull it off, the Huskers certainly have the ability to have it happen.

:yeah Texas had much better talent than us last year, and we should have pulled out the win, and the main reason was the crowd. I remember listening to the radio, and Jim Rose said it was as loud as the sCUm games in the 90s, and even the OU game in 78. The UT game was at 11 in the morning. The SC game kicks off at 7. Husker fans have been anticipating this one since it was put on the schedule however many years ago, and we know that if we do show up loud and into the whole game, we can win.

We lost 28-10 in their house last year, a team that had Dwayne Jarret and Steve Smith on the outside. This time, while with plenty of blue chippers at the postition is young, as is playing a Husker secondary that is much better that last years with new players such as Asante and Murillo. These guys could be game breakers making plays out there.

And while he did throw 5 picks in the last game against SC, don't say because of that game that Keller won't show up and play great. This is the game he came here for. USC, under the lights, national tv, and a chance to prove that the Huskers are back. Plus, this game will help his draft stock, and that is motivation as well.

So, the Huskers can win, but of course with some turnovers early it could be over. But this is OUR house, and it's a game we have been waiting for for a long time. Stranger things have happened before in college football. That said, I can't wait for this game. Should be a good one imo. I think we'll come out on top in the end. :restore

yeah, i think one or two more years of BC getting college experience back and better and better players, he will be just as good or better than ol' Pete.

this year, they have more talent in most positions. talent wins game, but NEVER underestimate a an unfenced yard and a hungry dog!!

let's hope for the upset.

More goes into it than just talent. If it was talent alone, USC Texas, Florida and LSU would never lose any game that wasnt played with one of the other listed teams.

All had loses last year. Did Oregon State or UCLA have more talent than USC? not a chance. But they got the W. KSU is drasticly far behind Texas in talent, yet pulled the win.

You get no argument from me that USC has more talent. But dont use it as a cop-out and say there is no way NU can pull the upset. While at this stage I am uncertain if NU will, pull it off, the Huskers certainly have the ability to have it happen.

Amen brother! :thumbs

This is a really good post all the way around. The thread is great and the arguments and debates even better. I agree with a little of everything and disagree with a little of everything.

I view the game this way

O-line - 3 of the 5 starters at USC start for us while 2 of ours start for them

WR - If Purify is here then 1 of theres starts for us while 1 of ours starts for them. If Mo is not here then both there receivers start for us. WR are a different position because often more than 2 play at a time and the 3 and 4 for USC are better than ours

RB - Lucky and Glenn would play for USC and theres would play for us ITS A WASH

QB - Who knows, I think Booty is a little overhyped because he plays at USC but I think Keller is a little overhyped as well

D-Line - Suh starts anywhere in the country and Turner would play at USC that makes 2for them and 2 for us

LB - While it certainly is the strength at USC i believe Octo would start for them. I dont think Ruud or McKeon would play

DB - Asante is the real deal he plays anywhere. If Bowman is Healthy he plays for them. Jones starts for them as does Murillo

The point here is the talent gap between the players that will be on the field the most is not that great. There is a gap but it is a lot smaller than some think. If we get into the 2 and 3 deeps we have a definite problem. Barring injuries to any starters i think the game is somewhat evenly matched. Add the home crowd and the gap is closed to the smallest of margins if not even. Again, if we get to the 2 and 3 strings we are in a mess.

Skers i couldnt agree more with your take on BC. He is doing the right things and moving us in the right direction for sure. Only 1 team can win a NC each year. We are on the verge of great things to come as long as BC is here.

Pete Carrol vs. BC is hard to predict. I see Carrol as a Bobby Bowden type. He gets great players that are coached by very good position coaches and form a great team. I dont think he himself is that good of a coach really, but when you surround yourself with great coaches and talent you suddenly become a great Head Coach.

As for the Old vs the Newbies, i dont buy the difference. The old crowd experienced a lot in the days before our time, however those days have no bearing on today. The only comparison i think is worh hashing out is TO's first years and our impatience with him compared to some fans current impatience with BC. Again I agree with Skers, to want BC gone now is plain STUPID. He is doing everything we could ask for and then some.

Sorry so long winded, but its late im bored and needed something to do.

I disagree on the coaching.

Pete was pretty much a failure in the NFL.

BC had his moments.

Currently you have to go with PC over BC.

But I think as the talent gets to where BC wants it, you will see a tremendous growth in his coaching. Talent wins games, it always has.

I do not think anyone is going to put 30-40 points on us again, unless it is a shootout. I think we will be in every game we play. WE may not win them, but we will play everyone tough. That is the coach and his adapting to the Nebraska way.

You are right on the talent difference between the teams, but some times these are the games that may turn the corner of what a team is going to become. I look back at Boise St and know they had no where near the talent and depth that Okl had. I still think are kids step up big in this game. This is could be the game that jump starts this program once again to national prominence.

GBR!!! :thumbs:thumbs