Nebraska fans, lend him your ears -- and more

Roxy

why even respond to an article like this?

i've been to SoCal and i've been to small town in nebraska. i'd take pierce, nebraska over any city in the greater LA area.

heck, i'd live in dallas/fort worth before i'd *even* consider living in SoCal.

Are you from Pierce?

No need to get too worked up. Just a bit of trash talking and poking fun at an opponent. It's not something we seem to be above doing, either ;)

I went to the USC game last year... the sad thing is many people on the west coast really think that way about us though... many people at Disneyland asked me... "what is a husker" or "why are so many people in red here". We are completely oblivious to some people out there

Like some of us probably think all Californians are airheads (due to the Jay Leno comedy spots where he asks bystanders simple questions.."Jay Walking"?).

I actually thought this guy's article was funny.

But then..I enjoy competitive ribbing with so called rivals...If you take them seriously..You loose.

but are you serious?

oh yeah 7-Eleven did used to be in Nebraska... I had one in the town I grew up in that was only 5,000 people, they all got bought out by Kum and Go

Sounds like a urinal in a Cat house.

Do they still have Gas-n-Shops there?

It's one thing to joke about it with friends, but could you really see the Omaha World Herald publishing something like that?

Yes there are Gas-N-Shops... http://www.kumandgo.com/

Funny..

An old friend of mine went on a rant on his myspace and mentioned it..but I didn't know what he was talking about fer sure.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...logID=289530491

....Right here in good ole' Lincoln Nebraska we have the "Kum and Go."

Uh, what was that? "Kum and Go."

I didn't realize the prostitution industry has taken cues from McDonalds in their trade practices, but whatever. Who 'came' up with that one? Can you imagine the marketing board meeting?

Boss: "Ok folks, we gotta come up with a name for our new stores, something original would be great."

Marketing dude: "Uh, Boss? Johnson and I thought that "Kum and Go," would be a great way to show our customers what we're all about."

Boss: "You and Johnson need to be taken out back and shot."

Marketing dude: "Uh, well, uh, you spell Kum with a K?"

Boss: "You and Johnson are geniuses, you get a raise and a corner office."

why even respond to an article like this?

i've been to SoCal and i've been to small town in nebraska. i'd take pierce, nebraska over any city in the greater LA area.

heck, i'd live in dallas/fort worth before i'd *even* consider living in SoCal.

Are you from Pierce?

no, but i spent my summers there as a kid. that's where my grandparents lived.

a very nice little town.

Not only is this guy a complete moron, but his daughter is as dumb as door knob. They host a morning show here in L.A. and if he is really interested in something boring, he needs to try listening to his own show!

I assure you that everyone in L.A. isn't nearly as ignorant as this prick! GBR!

Ah, 'tis the season! The time of year Simers and his butt buddy Dufresne turn their combined single-digit intellect towards college football. It just so happens that we get the direct benefit of their drivel because Stevie P decided to schedule the University of Spoiled Children many years ago, and S & D live their non-existent sports lives vicariously through whatever the Troy Boys do - as long as they are winning (see below).

But it doesn't mean that if we weren't on the schedule that we would have escaped either one or both of them busting on our team, fans, lifestyle, home state, etc. I have been reading their crap for over 10 years now, and not a year goes by without some slam to us. They, as well as most of the clueless SoCal population, are just jealous because they are NOT fans of anything unless they are successful. Then they become the biggest cheerleaders the team (any team, pick one) has had, until they start to lose again. Why do you think the 3rd largest metropolitan area in the nation doesn't have a pro football team? Why was the Coliseum nearly empty for most of the 90s? The fan base is as fickle as it gets there. Simers and Dufresne just reflect their readership.

We, on the other hand, fill the stadium - winning season or not. We stay until the last down - victorous or not. They make fun of that which they can't comprehend.

Funny that they don't devote this much effort to exposing the Reggie Bush fiasco. Now THERE'S a college football program that deserves to forfeit wins/bowls/championships!

Perhaps I'm missing the larger context of this dickweed's job/purported purpose in life, but from what I can tell, he's simply unprofessional. First of all, he's a horrid writer. In reading this article I don't even know what the hell I'm looking at. It's just one long venemous piece of drivel which is supposed to do...what? Most pieces of writing at least attempt to serve some larger function, but this is just ridiculous.

However I must say that after my initial shock that such stupidity could extend itself for so long, I'm actually glad to see this now. See, all it does is continually confirm what we already know. USC Condom fans are classless pieces of sh#t. They're a team fed with a silver spoon, effeminate jock-sniffers whose fickle mindset is almost as famous as their haughtiness. Everything is given to them. They earn nothing. Watch them cry again this season when yet again some second-tier team takes them to the woodshed.

It's just continually amazing to me that the west coast holier-than-thou mindset can persist. Say what you want about our tomato-ish bumpkins, they're the backbone of these United States. I wish I had the technical proficiency to draw graphs, because if I did, I'd post one showing the correlation between manliness and distance from either coast. As one can see, it would reach its peak right about in...oh say...Nebraska.

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

No need to get too worked up. Just a bit of trash talking and poking fun at an opponent. It's not something we seem to be above doing, either ;)

:yeah EXACTLY. I have to say that I chuckled on a few of the one-liners. So what?!?! I'm sure that Shatel, Sipple or any other of our die-hard-red writers will have a choice word or 900 about the So-Cal life, USC and such leading up to the game. It is purely tongue in cheek. Meant to get a rise out of fans (and the nation) so as many eyes are on that game as possible.

"I know you are writing your article for shock value and I am just feeding it by emailing you, but common on man, are you such a sh**ty writer that you can't write about anything else and you need readers that bad?

Um. Can someone tell me the meaning of 'ironic'? Using the statement "but common on man" pretty much validates anything he is 'joking' about. Might want to spell/grammar check before you write a columnist for the LA Times to critique his writing!!! :laughpound

(By the way....I'm just havin' a little fun.)

The article is consistent with the conceited viewpoint held by a lot of southern Californians—many of whom have seen very little of the world. I lived in LA for several years and, even though LA was overpriced and crowded, I thoroughly enjoyed the beaches and nightlife. I found some of the people there to be decent types, but many (especially the self proclaimed native Californians) were materialistic, shallow, narcissistic a$$hole$. This guy—the author of the article—is the latter.

I live in SoCal so have to deal with this :asshat every once and awhile (he writes for the Times which has become a horrible rag of a paper nowadays and is on one of the local sports radio shows in the mornings with longtime L.A. sports anchor Fred Roggin and his daughter Tracy Simers). Don't listen to it much but Fred is the main host and the Simers add their takes and color. I hear him when he pops in on other shows on the same station as he comes in once and awhile to basically stir everybody up. His whole schtick is to get a reaction...he does it to the teams out here also...(i.e. the Clippers are a regular punching bag, the Lakers have recently been playing horribly, UCLA is up and down, if the Angels or Dodgers are in a slump he will rag them, etc.). Funny thing is I was at the USC v. NU game last year and the Coliseum is an absolute dump of a venue...Memorial Stadium puts it to shame! Talk about not living in modern times...go to the Coliseum and you are back in pre-1950's football stadiums! It is no wonder the NFL will never come back to L.A. to play at the Coliseum...there is always a group pushing the renovation of the Coliseum for the NFL...might as well terror it down (OK leave the Olympic torch as a historical landmark)...but get rid of the rest!

The one thing about Simers is that he appears to be an equal opportinity :asshat. So if we beat the Trojans, I would very well expect him to skewer USC as he does with all other teams.

GBR

The article is consistent with the conceited viewpoint held by a lot of southern Californians—many of whom have seen very little of the world. I lived in LA for several years and, even though LA was overpriced and crowded, I thoroughly enjoyed the beaches and nightlife. I found some of the people there to be decent types, but many (especially the self proclaimed native Californians) were materialistic, shallow, narcissistic a$$hole$. This guy—the author of the article—is the latter.

Is it really a conceited viewpoint held by people of SoCal?? Or is it the OVERALL national perception that Nebraska get??

I've been to SoCal and loved it. Could I see myself living there?? No, it's too fast.

I've never been anywhere else in Nebraska except for Omaha and Lincoln. I once took a college tour in Milford and that town smelled like sh*t.