Head Coach Wish List

rkhufu7

First of all any coach that comes in here will have his own ideas on who his OC is.........second I wiil bet it won't be the major.......................Third since we are throwing names out there how about Mike Minter....I think he would be a great choice for the secondary.

Yeah, lets get Ralph and Mike Brown too, and while we're at it, see if Grant can play. That will get he D fired up... (i know, nobody likes a smart ass.)

QUOTE(seedguy @ Oct 22 2007, 09:14 PM)

Why not Turner Gill? What has he done to be automatically disqualified by so many on these boards? The man should definitely be interviewed. Not because he happened to play here but for the reasons below.

First, look at what he has done at Buffalo. He inherited facilities and talent on what has been argued by ,many to be the worst program in D1 and immediately had those guys overachieving. He has those guys believing in themselves, the program and definitely in the coaching staff. Compare that to Callahan who takes five star recruits and gets them to underachieve. So on this first test, Turner is much more like Osborne and Devaney than Callahan and I suspect better than what a lot of other coaches could do at Buffalo.

As such he has more head coaching experience than Bo. And yes, I think Bo should be interviewed too. My point is that saying Gill doesn't have enough experience is not valid. If it is, then Bo should not be interviewed either.

Next Gill does have a lot of years in coaching. The man is 45 years old. Some have said maybe in a few years after he has more years of experience. Well how much more does he need and if you wait too long he'll only have a few years before retirement to give. He was a good position coach while he was here and coaching Crouch, Frost, and Tommie too (I think) certainly can't damage his credibility can it?

He has Texas connections for recruiting. That must count for something.

He was given administrative duties while here as well I believe as assistant head coach with Frank. Or some title like that anyway.

Finally, if he does pass the muster in all the other areas that Tom Osborne would require, then his experience as a former coach and player at one of college footballs most prestigious instituations SHOULD be considered. He is charismatic to his players and given his Nebraska player bloodlines, the state could rally around him like few others if he passes the interview requirements.

It would be foolish to write this talent off just because he played at NU. Yes we don't want to pull another John Blake like Oklahoma did. But Turner Gill is 45 with a lot more experience and more of a track record than Blake had at age 34 when he was hired.

All I am saying is give Gill a chance too. I have followed him closely since he started at Buffalo. Given what he has had to work with there, he has been very impressive in every aspect of the Head Coaching job. He has inspired the players, his coaching staff and the Buffalo community by demonstrating charisma and also character that reminds me of the man I bet he learned some of it from: Tom Osborne.

Some of you are very adamant about not wanting Gill. If it is fear of commiting another Blake. That is valid but it doesn't automatically disqualify Gill from consideration. Further, just because Blake didn't work out at Oklahoma doesn't mean that a former coach/player here will never work. If that is the case Bob Devaney should have never hired Tom Osborne. And Tom should have been a complete failure as Blake was at Oklahoma.

If Gill wants an interview, he definitely deserve a real and serious interview. And I would not be surprised that under a full and comprehensive review, Gill may be the best man for the job. In my opinion it is between Gill and Pelini. If it is a tie, Gill gets my tiebreaker vote (if I had one) due to character, experience and yes, a history and understanding of Nebraska football tradition.

[END OF QUOTE from SeedGuy]

I agree whole heartedly SeedGuy. I think Gill certainly deserves a look. He is a class guy who gave a lot to NU both as an athlete and as an assistant coach. I'm not sure he'd want to return to Lincoln. He was treated badly here when he dared marring out of his race and I'm not sure he wants to put his family through that again. Despite how we like to think of ourselves as one big happy family, Lincoln is and has always been a racially divided community.

I'd almost forgotten just how bad it was until I recently returned from Iraq and witnessed it for myself once again. We need to take a good look at ourselves people.

Sorry for jumping on that subject, but let's hope that Gill gets a fair look. As a coach I think he would make an outstanding candidate. He certainly knows our traditions and what it means to be play for our great University. He was always outstanding as a recruiter, something we've lost sight of in recent years, and hopefully can bring some honor and dignity back to us once again. We know it's not going to happen over night, no matter who takes over. GO BIG RED

NO! I am telling you Gill will run a bland Offense with nothing but counters. traps, and QB sneaks. We need diversity and for GOD SAKES NOT ANOTHER WCO! :) I just don't think we will be very competitive going the Gill route. I think Gill is a hell of a man but I just don't think he is the answer but then again what the hell do I know. I am just a crazy azz fan! :woo

NO! I am telling you Gill will run a bland Offense with nothing but counters. traps, and QB sneaks. We need diversity and for GOD SAKES NOT ANOTHER WCO! :) I just don't think we will be very competitive going the Gill route. I think Gill is a hell of a man but I just don't think he is the answer but then again what the hell do I know. I am just a crazy azz fan! :woo

Is that what he runs in Buffalo? I thought he passed a little more.

My only concern, really, is that it took him forever to get the HC gig at Buffalo. I know that we don't necessarily want the "hot coaching prospect" that everyone wants, but if NOBODY wants him, is there a reason?