Head Coach Wish List

rkhufu7

I have always maintained that Turner Gill should have gotten the HC job when TO retired, not Solich. At the time it was understood that the "good ole boy" network would not stand for a black man to coach their beloved Huskers. Ofcourse, once Pederson was hired he might have gotten the same treatment as Frank did.

Look at him for the job now. Give him the same consideration as anyone else, look at what he has done.

:restore:restore:restore:restore:restore:restore:restore

I just don't think Gill has the intensity and thick skin to straighten this team out at the moment. Our team is lacking major discipline (on and off the field). They have quit and there is no denying that. They need a strong dose of reality. Somone to light that fire under their butts. I think it will take a very strong willed person to get this team turned around. I just don't see it in Gill to be that person at the moment.

I have always maintained that Turner Gill should have gotten the HC job when TO retired, not Solich. At the time it was understood that the "good ole boy" network would not stand for a black man to coach their beloved Huskers. Ofcourse, once Pederson was hired he might have gotten the same treatment as Frank did.

Look at him for the job now. Give him the same consideration as anyone else, look at what he has done.

No Solich definitely deserved his shot then. It wasn't just the Good Old Boys Network. He'd paid his dues and was definitely the best choice and he proved it. He inherited a great program and didn't change it much and sure as the hell wasn't fired because of being a lousy coach. He was 9-3 the year he got canned. Check out a post a few week back by a poster by the name of OldTimer for the real story on that firing. He apparently knows the real reason for the firing which was only rumor at the time. Appears ole Stevie had a secret that Frank Solich knew about and was fired because of it.

Anyway we agree that Gill definitely deserves a chance for an interview along with Bo and the rest.

I don't believe a guy goes from being the head coach at Buffalo to the head coach at Nebraska without doing something fantastic. Buffalo is 3-5 this year, which for Buffalo is a big deal, but Gill needs to show more. Build that program. Win your conference. He hasn't done either of those things.

I'm not cheering for Bo either. People like him because he represented the anti-Steve Pedersen and everything that's gone wrong with the program. If you get down to asking people what his qualifications and experience are, they clam up.

I am sticking with Joe Glenn from Wyoming. Two Division II National Championships as HC at Northern Colorado. One Division I-AA National Championship at Montana. See a pattern here? Oh yeah, and he grew up in Lincoln as a Husker fan.

I just don't think Gill has the intensity and thick skin to straighten this team out at the moment. Our team is lacking major discipline (on and off the field). They have quit and there is no denying that. They need a strong dose of reality. Somone to light that fire under their butts. I think it will take a very strong willed person to get this team turned around. I just don't see it in Gill to be that person at the moment.

Not meaning to pick on you specifically, but you know this how ??? You're making some pretty specific statements here. Have you ever coached a major college team ? What are you qualifications to make statements like this. Do you personal know Turner Gill ? I happen to know him and find your remarks completely baseless.

As I said, I mean nothing against you personally, but in reading this board, I find that in general, the postings come from individuals who have absolutely no experience whatsoever in either playing, coaching, or seemingly anything more than planting their asses on a couch and watching the game.

I've never played beyond the high school level and certainly do not feel qualified to judge any coach's ability as to what they do, should have done, or even have the ability to do. I am however a military man. I have led men into battle and have been responsible for their lives. I take pride in my ability to do that.

I've gone to a few games since my return from Iraq and see students doing the same things I did when I was at the U. Swilling beer, acting like damn fools, cheering the team, painting up and screaming obscenities. Acting like they are contributing to the success of the team, while in reality, they are adding nothing. They scream, "We're Number One," THEY are nothing. The team is everthing. Most of them aren't even fans. They don't attend the rally the night before. The game is just an excuse to drink, maybe get laid afterwards. Sorry I've gotton on a soapbox here :-) Didn't mean to vent on you. :-) Just letting off a little frustration at some of the posting from people who obviously really don't know what the hell they are even writing about :-)

I think you should, at the very least, consider Gill, but I am wondering in order to bring this program back, you may need a blue collar coach, like Pelini. Devaney was a blue collar type of a coach, who brought a sad program to glory. And it doesn't appear that Gill is that kind of coach, but I am not saying he can't be a decent coach for us.

I don't know guys. It's a guessing game on who would be good and who wouldn't. Alabama has made numerous errors in hiring coaches, as has Notre Dame and USC. Oklahoma was fortunate that Stoops turn out to be the guy. Hiring a head coach is a risky investment when it come to wins and loses.

I think you should, at the very least, consider Gill, but I am wondering in order to bring this program back, you may need a blue collar coach, like Pelini. Devaney was a blue collar type of a coach, who brought a sad program to glory. And it doesn't appear that Gill is that kind of coach, but I am not saying he can't be a decent coach for us.

I don't know guys. It's a guessing game on who would be good and who wouldn't. Alabama has made numerous errors in hiring coaches, as has Notre Dame and USC. Oklahoma was fortunate that Stoops turn out to be the guy. Hiring a head coach is a risky investment when it come to wins and loses.

that is the major reason I supported callihan for so long. there is no guarantee we will get a better coach for our program when cally is gone. but at this point we have to take that chance

NO! I am telling you Gill will run a bland Offense with nothing but counters. traps, and QB sneaks. We need diversity and for GOD SAKES NOT ANOTHER WCO! :) I just don't think we will be very competitive going the Gill route. I think Gill is a hell of a man but I just don't think he is the answer but then again what the hell do I know. I am just a crazy azz fan! :woo

I doubt that Turner would run a bland offense like that...prior to this week against Syracuse, the Bulls had the best passer rating offense in the MAC (you might not think that's much, but that was ahead of Ball State, who sure passed all over us.) They also had a RB (James Starks) who rushed for over 200 yards in 2 straight weeks. I'm only using last week's passer ratings because MAC Report Online hasn't updated the statistics for this week yet, but Buffalo had another good week passing the ball as Buffalo's QB tied a school record for most completions in a game (32). So Buffalo has the best passing offense in the MAC (as measured by efficiency rating) even though they have played far superior competition (Penn State, Rutgers, and two other BCS conference schools, Baylor and Syracuse). Imagine what he could do with superior talent..

NO! I am telling you Gill will run a bland Offense with nothing but counters. traps, and QB sneaks. We need diversity and for GOD SAKES NOT ANOTHER WCO! :) I just don't think we will be very competitive going the Gill route. I think Gill is a hell of a man but I just don't think he is the answer but then again what the hell do I know. I am just a crazy azz fan! :woo

I doubt that Turner would run a bland offense like that...prior to this week against Syracuse, the Bulls had the best passer rating offense in the MAC (you might not think that's much, but that was ahead of Ball State, who sure passed all over us.) They also had a RB (James Starks) who rushed for over 200 yards in 2 straight weeks. I'm only using last week's passer ratings because MAC Report Online hasn't updated the statistics for this week yet, but Buffalo had another good week passing the ball as Buffalo's QB tied a school record for most completions in a game (32). So Buffalo has the best passing offense in the MAC (as measured by efficiency rating) even though they have played far superior competition (Penn State, Rutgers, and two other BCS conference schools, Baylor and Syracuse). Imagine what he could do with superior talent..

:yeah:yeah:yeah:woo

Not meaning to pick on you specifically, but you know this how ??? You're making some pretty specific statements here. Have you ever coached a major college team ? What are you qualifications to make statements like this. Do you personal know Turner Gill ? I happen to know him and find your remarks completely baseless.

As I said, I mean nothing against you personally, but in reading this board, I find that in general, the postings come from individuals who have absolutely no experience whatsoever in either playing, coaching, or seemingly anything more than planting their asses on a couch and watching the game.

I've never played beyond the high school level and certainly do not feel qualified to judge any coach's ability as to what they do, should have done, or even have the ability to do. I am however a military man. I have led men into battle and have been responsible for their lives. I take pride in my ability to do that.

I've gone to a few games since my return from Iraq and see students doing the same things I did when I was at the U. Swilling beer, acting like damn fools, cheering the team, painting up and screaming obscenities. Acting like they are contributing to the success of the team, while in reality, they are adding nothing. They scream, "We're Number One," THEY are nothing. The team is everthing. Most of them aren't even fans. They don't attend the rally the night before. The game is just an excuse to drink, maybe get laid afterwards. Sorry I've gotton on a soapbox here :-) Didn't mean to vent on you. :-) Just letting off a little frustration at some of the posting from people who obviously really don't know what the hell they are even writing about :-)

WOW.....First off maybe you ought to find a hobby to release some of your vented frustration! I suggest running perhaps....Second.....I personally know players who HAVE PLAYED under TO and company during the years of 1990-1994. I am not going to brag about who they are but I speak to them quite often. One in paticular was recruited to play QB but moved to WB and who is now the Godfather of my oldest son. No I am not going to announce who they are out of respect to them. Everytime we talk on the phone Nebraska get's brought up (of course). So I know some of the ways Gill coached. I am not saying that anything he is or has been doing is bad. I just don't want him as our HC. Before you go on your crusade about leading people into battle and such, remember.....Your not the only one who is a veternan! Take it for what it's worth! So in turn I can say that "I know what the hell I am writing about". So with that, you have your opinions and I have mine. That's the great thing about the good ole US of A! I also salute you for your service to this great country! :)

Based on what he's done with a poor team, he deserves consideration. All this 'Wellll III doooon't thiiink...." stuff is just horse sh#t. The facts are these.

1. Turner Gill was a former Nebraska player. Therefore it is reasonable to assume he understand Nebraska football and tradition.

2. Turner Gill has a reputation as being a good motivator. Therefore it is reasonable to assume he can motivate.

3. Turner Gill is turning around the worst D-1 team in existence. Therefore it is reasonable to assume he could do much more with our stockpile of talent.

4. Nebraska right now needs a coach who understands Nebraska football, can motivate a dead team, and can win ball games. Therefore, Turner Gill should be considered for the position.

For those of you who do now know, this is what we call thinking. Please note the vast difference between that and emoting. Allowing some hazy gut feeling about a coaching decision to be your guide is as stupid as it is harmful. I'm not saying Coach Gill is the best man for the job. Maybe it's Bo Pelini. Maybe it's Tom Osborne. What I do know is that Gill fits the profile of the kind of guy we should be looking for. Don't shoot down the idea before Osborne takes a look at it.

Based on what he's done with a poor team, he deserves consideration. All this 'Wellll III doooon't thiiink...." stuff is just horse sh#t. The facts are these.

1. Turner Gill was a former Nebraska player. Therefore it is reasonable to assume he understand Nebraska football and tradition.

2. Turner Gill has a reputation as being a good motivator. Therefore it is reasonable to assume he can motivate.

3. Turner Gill is turning around the worst D-1 team in existence. Therefore it is reasonable to assume he could do much more with our stockpile of talent.

4. Nebraska right now needs a coach who understands Nebraska football, can motivate a dead team, and can win ball games. Therefore, Turner Gill should be considered for the position.

For those of you who do now know, this is what we call thinking. Please note the vast difference between that and emoting. Allowing some hazy gut feeling about a coaching decision to be your guide is as stupid as it is harmful. I'm not saying Coach Gill is the best man for the job. Maybe it's Bo Pelini. Maybe it's Tom Osborne. What I do know is that Gill fits the profile of the kind of guy we should be looking for. Don't shoot down the idea before Osborne takes a look at it.

Well put Husker X!!!!!!!!!

Your my hero :hellloooo

Seriosly very well put!

I'm sure Turner Gill is a fine coach, and being an ex player and coach he deserves an interview, but I would hate to hire him just for those reasons when we all know there are much better and more qualified candidates out there. I'm a big fan of Turner's and if he were to be hired I would support him, but I would hate for TO to limit himself.