Callahan called plays against Texas

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

Callahan called all plays vs. Texas

Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson called the plays during the first half of the Oct. 20 Texas A&M game, he said Tuesday. The Huskers trailed 16-14 at the break and lost 36-14.

It was the first time all season Watson had coached from the sidelines instead of the press box.

Head coach Bill Callahan took over play-calling duties in the second half against Texas A&M, then called the entire game last week in a 28-25 loss at Texas, as he has during his four seasons at NU.

"We obviously talk a lot after series are over, just like we would if I were up in the box," Watson said. "The A&M game, obviously I was really involved in calling (plays). The Texas game, Bill really called it."

Added Watson: "It's really important for me to be on the sidelines with the players. I think it's important for players to have someone to go to and sort out the issues, get some leadership on the sidelines, which my position requires me to do."

While watching the game, I noticed that watson had the play sheet in his hands and was yelling stuff to the players in the first have before the plays. In the second half Callahan had the play sheet and was calling the plays. I find it very hard to believe that Watson was not calling the plays the first half. Obviously the offense went in the tank the second half. All the people I was watching the game with commented on this as well. If you watch it again you will see the play calling changed drastically in the second half and we moved away from what was working. I'm not sure but that seemed to be the case to me.

very interesting about the Texas game..

i'll call it luck this time :)

however.. how many 2nd half points did we put up against A&M.. bill may have been calling in the plays.. but perhaps watson was giving suggestions? i dont know just seems like a possible way to avoid more controversy with coaches..

maybe not but at least its wishful thinking :)

Nope sorry, completely bogus. I was watching who was speaking into players on the sidelines who were going in, who Keller was running over to between plays and who had the playsheet in hand throughout the game.

It was clear both on the sideline and by the play on the field exactly when Cally took over in the 3rd quarter.

Watson called every play in the first half and the first drive of the 3rd quarter. With that drive we went up 17-3. Following that TD drive Texas drove down field and got a field goal and at that point Callahan took the play chart and began calling the plays. From that moment on we had five straight drives end in a punt and a sixth end in a fumble by Keller. We also began having penalty issues with a number of false starts.

One thing I will say however is that Callahan was calling the plays on the final TD drive, but of course who really cares when he'd already blown a 10+ point lead after the half.

Nope sorry, completely bogus. I was watching who was speaking into players on the sidelines who were going in, who Keller was running over to between plays and who had the playsheet in hand throughout the game.

It was clear both on the sideline and by the play on the field exactly when Cally took over in the 3rd quarter.

Watson called every play in the first half and the first drive of the 3rd quarter. With that drive we went up 17-3. Following that TD drive Texas drove down field and got a field goal and at that point Callahan took the play chart and began calling the plays. From that moment on we had five straight drives end in a punt and a sixth end in a fumble by Keller. We also began having penalty issues with a number of false starts.

One thing I will say however is that Callahan was calling the plays on the final TD drive, but of course who really cares when he'd already blown a 10+ point lead after the half.

I noticed that as well. I made sure to pay attention to who was calling the plays after hearing about the debacle at the ATM game. I noticed in the second half of the Texas game Watson was behind callahan and Keller was coming to Cally, however in the first half it was the opposite. Nice try on covering up another play calling disaster.

That's a crock! All you had to do was watch who had the big headset on. THAT was the person calling the plays and the first half was Shawn Watson. That's why we were winning. I don't care who said to the contrary, we all know that when Callahan starts calling the plays we lose.

TLS2

Well, what better situation can you have to simplify the "evaluation" at the end of the year? TO can actually look at game to game and quarter to quarter compairitively. NICE.

Yea we lost but it wasn't in a embarassing no effort way. So, we have to take our bumps and bruises and move on. Callahan is sealing his own fate. It doesn't take a genious to see what is going on. He actually is looking worse as a coach as this drags on. And his lack of recruiting these past few weeks also speaks volumes about his integrity and willingness to live up to his responsabilities that he is being paid very well to do. I don't see him getting another HC job. Anywhere! He just may be looking to get fired, who knows. The reciever from the raiders said he believed Callahan did not want to be there (Okland) anymore and wonders if he didn't work twoards getting out of there (fired). Hell, I don't know but, he is making it less stressful to think of the possiblity that he could be here next year.

BINGO!!!! Once he started calling the plays it was all over. :bang