4. Turner Gill

5. Bo Pelini

6. Brian Kelly

7. Gary Patterson

8. Joe Glenn

9. Paul Johnson

10. Kevin Steele

11. Bobby Petrino

I honestly don't see Schiano, Groebe or Leavitt leaving the programs they built into winners for a program in shambles. The same could be said of Gill, but he has ties to the school, that may sway his decision.

Pelini is an unproven, but I like the fire he brings, maybe it translates to the HC position.

I haven't been able to see Kelly, Patterson or Glenn in action. Johnson, beat ND for the first time in 43 years...they are horrible this year and it took him 3 OTs to do it to the bottom 3 with you. Kevin Steele, I remember his time a NU but his Baylor years are still in my head...ugh. Petrino is too much of a merc for me, the chance of him bolting as soon has he rebuilds the program is probably greater than anyone we could hire.

Muschamp, Edsal, Holtz and Mullen would also be good hires as well.

This is a list of the Potential Candidates from HI, obviously these aren't the only coaches we will probably look at, but just use these name and rank them with 1 being the highest.

Turner Gill (Buffalo)

Joe Glenn (Wyoming)

Jim Grobe (Wake Forest)

Paul Johnson (Navy)

Brian Kelly (Cincinnati)

Jim Leavitt (USF)

Bo Pelini (DC LSU)

Gary Patterson (TCU)

Bobby Petrino (Atlanta Falcons)

Greg Schiano (Rutgers)

Kevin Steele (Alabama, I think he's a DC correct me if I'm wrong)

Heres my list...

1. Jim Leavitt

2. Greg Schiano

3. Bo Pelini

4. Paul Johnson

5. Turner Gill

6. Bobby Petrino

7. Jim Grobe

8. Brian Kelly

9. Kevin Stelle

10. Gary Patterson

11. Joe Glenn

A ton of people on the KU threads keep talking about Glenn Mason as the next head coach for NU

Bo Pelini- not only does husker nation love him but if you talk to jsut about any person who covers college football for a living about Pelini being a head coach and they will tell you he will probably be a HC next year, so it isnt just NU fans who like him, a lot of analysis think he can be a great HC

Turner Gill- deserves to be atleast the 2nd choice if not the 1st choice, because of what he did for the program and what he has done at Buffaloe.

My next candidates i kinda jsut lump into third place cause i think we will get number 1 or 2 and if we dont all these guys i think could do a good job and the are:

Gary Patterson- good denfensive minded coach

Joe Glenn- dont know why someone said he is too old, he is only 58 and has done a good job at Wyoming

Paul Johnson- Can adjust great to his players, ran spread at Haiwii, then runs triple option at Navy, so he definetly knows how to use his players.

Jim Grobe- has also done a great job with a little program at wake forest.

I dont know much about Kevin Steele or Brian Kelly and the otehr guys Greg Schiano, Jim Leavitt and Bobby Petrino probably wont leave their current jobs for Nebraska.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this except that I'd take Gill over Pelini. Osborne would know if Gill is really ready for this job, and if he thinks so, he's in.

I just don't see anyone else who I think would really come to Lincoln that's head and shoulders above those 2. Rather than screw around again like last time trying to get guys who won't come (and I don't think Grobe or Schiano would, for example), don't make whichever of Gill or Pelini you want feel like the 2nd or 3rd choice, and spend weeks getting them here.

That said, I wouldn't object to most of those other names but I'd pass on Petrino since he'd be looking for his next job as soon as he got here. I'm not really too excited about Glenn, in 5 years he's peaked at 3rd in the MWC and they are falling back this year.

Paul Johnson would probably be my choice of the others, based on being able to adapt different offenses to the talent he has.

It's funny to hear Craig Bohl's name pop up in the national media. He's done great things at NDSU, and he's either found his level or maybe he can even be a great coach somewhere in D1A, but he wouldn't have a chance in hell of weathering a slow start here like any of the other candidates. He shouldn't want an interview, and he shouldn't get one.

I think TO will take a look at what's out there for coaches and consider who is the best fit will be for

the NU job. I think a lot of consideration has to be put into this decision so we get the coach that

can bring what is needed to bring life back to the program. TO will be looking for someone that

possesses certain key strengths he considers necessary to be head coach at NU! Many of the

coaches that have been mentioned are no doubt good candidates, but I think TO isn't going to

be hasty in making such a crucial decision, he'll want to shop around and see who is available!

Rather than rank potential candidates, I'm just going to sit back and let TO do his job.

Mike Stoops looks like he will remain at AZ (Bo will be unlikely to pull him in as DC):

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/210226.php

Here in So. CA on local radio Karl Dorrell of UCLA is under fire (poor Jay Norvell...he went from one under fire staff to another :o ). Anyway local radio was even speculating on trying to lure Steve Spurrier to the powder blues :lol: . Also, Colin Cowherd on his national show mentioned Chris Peterson (Boise State) as good next choice for UCLA. I bring this up because (like us) UCLA will likely be looking at a new head coach and we will be looking at some of the same candidates. Here is what a UCLA fan from http://www.bruinsnation.com/ has to say on potential candidates:

Here are some coaches I DO NOT want, and why:

Mike Leach. Because he cannot coach defense, and will be eaten up by the offenses in this league. Because he's something like 3-18 against ranked teams.

Brian Kelly. Because he really hasn't proven all that much. Taking D;Antonio's Cincy team and winning some games in his first year, is not enough. How many big-time teams has he beaten in his career?

Kirk Ferentz. Because he's really not a very good coach, despite some mid-career success at Iowa

Norm Chow. Because he's 62 and has never been given a head coaching offer.

Rocky Long. Because he's not a particularly good coach.

Greg Schiano. He's had one good year in his life

Pat Hill. He's a hack.

Any ex-NFL coach besides Schottenheimer or Cowher. Because just coaching in the NFL is no great thing. Callahan, Wannestedt, Gailey--all failures. Just because someone has a "name" does not make him a good coach.

Okay, whom does that leave us with? Not all that many, really. There's my first choice, Chris Peterson. There's Navy's Paul Johnson. Randy Edsall of Connecticut. Schottenheimer. Cowher, both big longshots. Petrino, another fantasy hire. Jim Grobe of Wake, maybe. After that, Dan Guerrero (UCLA AD) is going to have to come up with the best young assistant in the country.

Interesting read. I think Peterson may be their target ultimately (as long as he can have a strong DC). Arguably their most valuable coach now is their DC DeWayne Walker who has shown flashes of brilliance (shutting down USC last year) but has been too inconsistent. If they don't keep Walker I think he might be a HC candidate at a smaller program. Will be interesting to see.

Grobe

Pelini

Petrino

Johnson

It is strange how close we are to being on the same page.

People keep wanting to talk about Gill and what he has done in the MAC, but why not Grobe for what he has done at Wake, in the freakin' ACC? I think we get way too loyal to the guys with Nebraska ties, sometimes.

Another name to throw out there -- Josh McDaniels, OC for the Patriots. What he has done in the past with guys like Caldwell, Gaffney, Branch, etc., being the leading WR's for the Patriots, and now this year how he has handled the weapons they have gotten is unbelievable. Plus, he is only 31 years old. Can you say offensive genius?