If Osborne keeps Callahan, are we all going to complain?

Landlord

The vast majority of opinions, very obviously, is in support of Callahan being gone, and the vast majority of Husker fans everywhere is one that supports everything Tom Osborne does. So, what if the two conflict?

I personally haven't decided what my stance is on the Callahan situation, too many good and bad things conflicting along with a lack of understanding of the program. But I will accept whatever Osborne's decision on the matter is (at least I say that now).

What about you guys?

One last thing: Regardless of my feelings (or lack thereof) with the Callahan situation, my ethics support Callahan at least getting a chance to right this ship, whether or not he actually can do it. I suppose Tom is at least slightly the same, always talking about how people demand perfection to quickly.

i don't think it's up to Osborne anymore, quite frankly, because I think he's made the decision to let him go. all this bulljazz, waiting on him to actual finalize the decision has to do with money, players, replacements, and God. he's too integritous, to steal a word from Stephen Colbert.

it's just a stupid passive-aggressive waiting game. does callahan deserve this? since he is still a human, i don't think he deserves that kind of treatment.

but, it's hard not to give it because he won't leave.

After witnessing three of the worst defeats in Nebraska history, in terms of margin of victory, home-winning record and points allowed...I'll admit, I was extremely upset with Callahan. I want/wanted him gone.

However, and I hate to say it...but that performance against Kansas State, regardless of whether it was at home and how bad their defense is...was very impressive.

Now, if our players had only played with that heart and fire all season as they did on Saturday...we wouldn't be discussing Bill Callahan's future. Something was there...and I do believe that it all can't be attributed to heart and fire.

If we were to bring in a proven defensive coordinator...believe it or not, I would be up to giving Callahan another year or two. I don't know if these opinions are stemming from the whole Solich firing...or what.

This all, however, depends on our offense having a very similar performance against CU and in a subsequent bowl game. CU is not better than KSU, IMO.

This is why I'm at somewhat of a crossroads, while I want us to decimate CU...if we do in even a remotely similar fashion as what we did to KSU...things are going to get interesting.

Let me summarize all this by saying, I AM IN NO WAY A CALLAFAN. I'm just trying to be objective as to what I see as in the best interests of NU football...just my opinion.

I will be chastised for this...this has just been on my mind ever since the KSU game.

Now, release the hounds, huskerboard.

you will be chastised for it because one game does not make a season.. if we lose every game up to the colorado game, and win 74-23 every year.. would we be happy? no we wouldnt but ya know? thats an impressive win, so lets keep the coach.. sorry but it cant happen.. cally hasnt done enough while he was here.. i think the reason the players played with all the fire they did was because of senior day.. the last home game of the year.. fans were behind them.. they got into it.. it was a great atmosphere to be in.. however, it does not mean that cally has done a good job, like he himself has stated numerous times..

bottom line.

Callahan gone after Colorado.

you will be chastised for it because one game does not make a season.. if we lose every game up to the colorado game, and win 74-23 every year.. would we be happy? no we wouldnt but ya know? thats an impressive win, so lets keep the coach.. sorry but it cant happen.. cally hasnt done enough while he was here.. i think the reason the players played with all the fire they did was because of senior day.. the last home game of the year.. fans were behind them.. they got into it.. it was a great atmosphere to be in.. however, it does not mean that cally has done a good job, like he himself has stated numerous times..

bottom line.

I guess my only qualm with that...and I agree that one game does not make up for our performance this season...my only qualm is this: perhaps all we needed was a knowledgeable quarterback in there? Other than our defense...look how things did change once Joe Ganz took over duties at quarterback.

P.S., I'm actually Bill Callahan

bottom line.

Agree whole heartedly. Callahan needs to be gone. One game does NOT make up for this season. dedhoarse

I agree that, barring a miracle, Callahan is gone.

But, imagine us performing very-well offensively against CU and our bowl-opponent (assuming we make it). Perhaps Keller was actually hindering our progress.

I don't know about you, but our performance last year was somewhat satisfying...although Cally did make some asinine calls...that Auburn game pissed me off.

I did, however, think we were making progress. Hence, the overwhelming speculation that this year was going to be our "breakout year."

I know that we're likely not going to accumulate 700+ yards of offense versus CU and our bowl-opponent...but maybe Sam Keller was hurting us...if Ganz performs even close to as near well as he did against KSU (and believe it or not, KU...despite the ints.)...well, that would be one hell of a Rudy Reuttiger story.

I do, also, think that with TO looking over BC's shoulder...this could turn out well. That, and a whole-lotta staff being fired; keep Watson, though.

I can't believe I'm defending Callahan...but is it not possible?

The vast majority of opinions, very obviously, is in support of Callahan being gone, and the vast majority of Husker fans everywhere is one that supports everything Tom Osborne does. So, what if the two conflict?

...One last thing: Regardless of my feelings (or lack thereof) with the Callahan situation, my ethics support Callahan at least getting a chance to right this ship, whether or not he actually can do it.

I suppose Tom is at least slightly the same, always talking about how people demand perfection to quickly.

Don't you mean too quickly?

Sorry..I saw "perfection" and ran with it.

I love Osborn like a Second Cousin, but I probably wouldn't kiss him on the lips..

But nobody's perfect..He's made decisions in the past I didn't necessarily agree with, but I almost always looked for ways to defend them...Even L.P.

I'm sure I'd like Cally/Coz more if I got the chance to know them, but I see nothing in their past that would indicate either one is capable of Coaching a winning team, well....Not yet, anyway.

The main concern I had with Callahan when he was 1st announced was his integrity..He seems to have passed that test as far as I can tell.

I didn't understand the WCO enough to not have worries it would be able to succeed Nebraska winds. I thought it would employ longer passes, not just the "dink & dunk"..Maybe short passes WOULD work, but not to the consistency we were used to..All it would take is for your QB to be off a little, and the rest of your Offense wouldn't be able to pick up the slack.

I also feel Callahan has to take some responsibility for the poor "West Coast" Defensive showing.

He seemed to treat Defensive recruiting as an afterthought and stockpiled receivers and RBs.

He may be able to "right this Ship", but with his ego..It would probably require the 20yr plan.

I think, more than anything else, I'm afraid of the coaching change. Not because I think NU should stick with Callahan, but because I remember what SP's move did to Nebraska football.

I still remember where I was, watching the press conference, the day that TO announced his retirement. I was a freshman at NU, hashing a sorority kitchen. At least I had one season as a student to watch TO, right?

And I also remember where I was, after the Nebraska/Colorado game of 2003, sitting in a family-friend's basement...and seeing the ESPN ticker announce that Solich was fired, the ticker announced it before ESPN's anchors did. My dad was "resting his eyes"...and I said, "did you see that?" He said, "see what?"

"They just fired Solich, man." That sat him up, and he said, "Huh? Are you sure?"

In hindsight, it was all downhill from there.

I can only hope that our new coach is proven.

I want Pelini...but that still leaves us with the OC question. Watson? Sure, I'd be willing to give him a chance...but I can't believe this is what it has come down to, "giving someone a chance."

Turner Gill? As much as I love what he did at and for Nebraska...I'm not comfortable with him taking over the reigns at NU, at least, not now.

What does that leave us? Whom is it that is a feasible, and proven candidate? I've seen names tossed to and fro...yet only Pelini and Gill are the frontrunners.

How did Pederson not even consider Monte Kiffin? That bastard will haunt me for the rest of my days...

I think, more than anything else, I'm afraid of the coaching change. Not because I think NU should stick with Callahan, but because I remember what SP's move did to Nebraska football.

I still remember where I was, watching the press conference, the day that TO announced his retirement. I was a freshman at NU, hashing a sorority kitchen. At least I had one season as a student to watch TO, right?

And I also remember where I was, after the Nebraska/Colorado game of 2003, sitting in a family-friend's basement...and seeing the ESPN ticker announce that Solich was fired, the ticker announced it before ESPN's anchors did. My dad was "resting his eyes"...and I said, "did you see that?" He said, "see what?"

"They just fired Solich, man." That sat him up, and he said, "Huh? Are you sure?"

In hindsight, it was all downhill from there.

I can only hope that our new coach is proven.

I want Pelini...but that still leaves us with the OC question. Watson? Sure, I'd be willing to give him a chance...but I can't believe this is what it has come down to, "giving someone a chance."

Turner Gill? As much as I love what he did at and for Nebraska...I'm not comfortable with him taking over the reigns at NU, at least, not now.

What does that leave us? Whom is it that is a feasible, and proven candidate? I've seen names tossed to and fro...yet only Pelini and Gill are the frontrunners.

How did Pederson not even consider Monte Kiffin? That bastard will haunt me for the rest of my days...

Completely different "sitiation" (Ted Nugent).

I was upset when they fired Frankie, but not enough to write my congressman.

Partly for the image it gave us..(Unrealistic expectations).

Now..especially with the firing of Pederson..He can be seen (rightfully) as a scapegoat and we're better able to dissacociate with that image and therefore attract more better coaches.

Now..especially with the firing of Pederson..He can be seen (rightfully) as a scapegoat and we're better able to dissacociate with that image and therefore attract more better coaches.

Let's just hope so.

Other than Pelini and Gill, who? Is Brian Kelley going to leave Cinci; is Paul Johnson really the right man for the job here, solely because he runs the option? Actually, is Pelini going to leave LSU?

Supposedly, the RUMORS (oh no, I said rumors) of Carr being gone have been re-ignited. Does that mean Les Miles returns to MU and Pelini takes over at LSU?

Perhaps I'm just more nauseated by all the god-d--- rumors.

When one steps back and tries to approach this objectively...I just can not see a proven (can turn things around quickly), viable head coach candidate that gets me EXCITED (besides Bo, and that's just defensively).

And even so, if we find one, will he come to Nebraska? :ahhhhhhhh

Get this:

Osborne could hire someone and HE COULD VERY WELL NOT WORK EITHER. It could get worse before it get's better, folks. I think people are assuming that Osborne will hire someone and he will be great and it will all be sunshine and farts again. Well, there is FAR from a guarantee on that.

Get this:

Osborne could hire someone and HE COULD VERY WELL NOT WORK EITHER. It could get worse before it get's better, folks. I think people are assuming that Osborne will hire someone and he will be great and it will all be sunshine and farts again. Well, there is FAR from a guarantee on that.

I would just about suspect that this happens. It's far easier to fail than succeed in college football. In a pressure-cooker like Nebraska, where the demands are so high, little things can get magnified and make the job that much more difficult. Any new coach could struggle just coping with the expectations that come along with this job.

But all that being said, that still does not mean that Callahan should stay. He is not the right fit for this job, and the next guy's success or failure won't change that.

The Callahan coaching staff needs to go, and whether we turn out better for it in a year or two does not change that fact.

In year 4, the ship has plunged faster downward. This ship cannot be turned in the right direction in just 2 games of a bad season. TO could hire someone worse, but I think we all have to remember that the bar has been lowered ever since Clownahan stepped in 4 years ago. It's not like the "new" coach will be expected to win 9 games and things we just expected years ago because Clownahan hasn't done it. Before Clownahan, we won 75+ percent of our games. Clownahan hasn't even come close to this. The new coach will be given some time. We still have enough lower tier teams on the schedule to give a new coach a shot at winning 60-70 percent of the games.