Glenn

lapaesl

I'm so sick of hearing Husker fans hail him like he is a great back, but they can continously trash Marlon Lucky. Sure, he can run over people, but apparantly that hurts him more than the defender. Here are there career stats, Lucky has 103 more catches and a better YPC average on 147 more carries than Glenn, Glenn is close in TDs, but thats it.

MARLON LUCKY STATS

RECEIVING RUSHING

Statistics No Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD

Career 109 1,091 10.0 3 390 1,876 4.8 15

CODY GLENN STATS

RECEIVING RUSHING

Statistics No Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD

Career 6 52 8.7 0 143 579 4.0 14

Well, in his defense, stats are based on touches, and Glenn hasn't gotten a lot of them. When he has, he's produced - remember the Iowa State game two years ago.

Admittedly, he's been hurt quite a bit, and that hasn't helped, either, but when he hasn't been, I'm not sure you can say he can't produce when he hasn't gotten the calls.

The key stat here is "average"....... the fact that Marlon has maintained a higher yd/carry ave. (almost an entire yard more) and has 247 more carries say a lot.....typically, the lower number of carries helps "inflate" a player's average due to a couple of big runs...... but to carry the ball almost 400 times and still average 4.8 yards a carry.....not too bad..... I will not trash Marlon at all....he has developed into a ver solid RB...

not to say that Glenn couldn't be a great back too.... injuries have just kept him down.... he should consider sitting out spring ball and get healthy....especially if the offensive scheme doesn't change a lot....he shouldn't miss out on much X-O, just reps....but if could mean the difference of him every being a factor on this team and career.

The key stat here is "average"....... the fact that Marlon has maintained a higher yd/carry ave. (almost an entire yard more) and has 247 more carries say a lot.....typically, the lower number of carries helps "inflate" a player's average due to a couple of big runs...... but to carry the ball almost 400 times and still average 4.8 yards a carry.....not too bad..... I will not trash Marlon at all....he has developed into a ver solid RB...

not to say that Glenn couldn't be a great back too.... injuries have just kept him down.... he should consider sitting out spring ball and get healthy....especially if the offensive scheme doesn't change a lot....he shouldn't miss out on much X-O, just reps....but if could mean the difference of him every being a factor on this team and career.

Just to play devils advocate, Glenns YPC could be deflated because he is labled (and was used) as a "short down back." Many of his carries were against 8 or 9 guys in the box and/or with a maximum of 1 or 2 yards possible.

i just have to chime in.

Lucky is our BEST back hands down. Yes, he is an every down back, just not in Cally's system.

We inside zone blocked on almost all of our runs. That takes one of 2 things to be successful. A) The best most athletic lineman out there no matter what size, or B) smaller quicker lineman.

We tried to inside zone block with big slower lineman all of which are not NFL caliber and it plain didnt work. We have very good lineman, if you ask them to blow the guy across from them off the ball, THEY CAN AND WILL. if you ask them to outside zone block, they can. Wags knew as much and wanted to block runs differently but on that staff you did it Cally's way or no way.

With the right blocking schemes and holes being created, Lucky and his production will be sick. His numbers will far surpass anyone else we have.

At times Q or Glenn looked better because they are bigger and they just lowered a shoulder and made a few yards.

How good would Slaton, or McFadden, or the USC backs, or Wells, or Hart, or any of them be if they didnt have holes to run through. Lucky put up his numbers with probably far fewer holes to run through than any of the afore mentioned backs. We have the lineman to open holes and with new blocking schemes we will and Lucky will be AWESOME.

Glenn and Q have their purpose. Mendoza and Helu will get their time. The only back that could match Lucky or maybe surpass him would be a 100% healthy Kenny Wilson but that remains to be seen.

i just have to chime in.

Lucky is our BEST back hands down. Yes, he is an every down back, just not in Cally's system.

We inside zone blocked on almost all of our runs. That takes one of 2 things to be successful. A) The best most athletic lineman out there no matter what size, or B) smaller quicker lineman.

We tried to inside zone block with big slower lineman all of which are not NFL caliber and it plain didnt work. We have very good lineman, if you ask them to blow the guy across from them off the ball, THEY CAN AND WILL. if you ask them to outside zone block, they can. Wags knew as much and wanted to block runs differently but on that staff you did it Cally's way or no way.

With the right blocking schemes and holes being created, Lucky and his production will be sick. His numbers will far surpass anyone else we have.

At times Q or Glenn looked better because they are bigger and they just lowered a shoulder and made a few yards.

How good would Slaton, or McFadden, or the USC backs, or Wells, or Hart, or any of them be if they didnt have holes to run through. Lucky put up his numbers with probably far fewer holes to run through than any of the afore mentioned backs. We have the lineman to open holes and with new blocking schemes we will and Lucky will be AWESOME.

Glenn and Q have their purpose. Mendoza and Helu will get their time. The only back that could match Lucky or maybe surpass him would be a 100% healthy Kenny Wilson but that remains to be seen.

Yeah...I tend to agree. I only hope he sticks around to prove you right.

i just have to chime in.

Disagree, he's a good back, but his weakpoint is that he cannot break tackles. I won't lie in saying that he can make people miss, but we need a RB who can make plays on their own. If there isn't a hole to break through, an "every down back" should be able to blast through and get yards when they aren't there, something Lucky isn't very good at doing. Like many of you are saying, hopefully BO will play the best players and make the offensive scheme fit to those players. Lucky would be deadly as a slot back, maybe taking some outside tosses and sweeps, and swing passes out of the backfield. I think we need a power back to go knock some heads off, and make people scared to tackle him.

Glenn's yards per carry is skewed because for most of his career he was brought in on 3rd and short or 4th and short or for goalline carries which is why he has as many TD's as he has. However, he can't stay healthy. Even if he could stay healthy, it's very hard to compare Lucky to Glenn because they are very different. Glenn is like a fullback while Lucky is more of an open space type RB. Lucky could be an outstanding RB if he was used to his strengths. He's an open space RB, so they need to get him in open space. He is not a between the tackles RB. I just hope Watson and crew use him next year if he stays like he should be. They need to use Lucky as a Bush type RB and either Castille or Glenn as a White type RB. Lucky is the best deep threat we have as Castille and Glenn more than likely aren't going to run away from very many people. Use Lucky for screen passes and toss sweeps. It would be nice to see 2 RB's on the field at the same time in different formations. With a more mobile QB, I think we could see a lot better production this next year. Statistically, our running game really wasn't that good this year. I think we'll see more emphasis put into the running game, and we have the pieces of the puzzle to be very effective running the ball. The first thing the running game needs is to win the trench war at the offensive line.