Pelini Announces coaching staff

Offensive Staff Members:

Barney Cotton, Associate Head Coach, Offensive Line… Barney is one of two coaches on staff who played for Nebraska. He also played several years in the NFL. Most recently, Barney was offensive coordinator at Iowa State. Coach Cotton is an excellent communicator and in addition to coaching our offensive line will serve as associate head coach, assisting me in a number of administrative duties.

Shawn Watson, Offensive Coordinator, Quarterbacks… Shawn is a proven offensive coordinator in the Big 12 Conference who knows this team's individual talents. I am confident he will have our offense performing to its full potential after leading us to an average of 468 yards per game in 2007. Shawn will continue to coach our quarterbacks.

Ted Gilmore, Assistant Head Coach, Wide Receivers, Recruiting Coordinator… Known for his ability as a recruiter and teacher, Ted guided a talented group of receivers to a school record-setting performance in 2007. Ted has experience at six Division I schools and has had success recruiting nationwide. As recruiting coordinator and assistant head coach, Ted will continue to play a key role in the overall direction of our program.

Ron Brown, Tight Ends… I have always admired the way Ron motivates and leads young men. When I accepted this job I knew that I wanted to bring back Ron, Barney, Carl and Marvin if at all possible. With 17 years of Husker experience on the offensive side of the ball, Ron will coach our tight ends.

Defensive Staff Members:

Carl Pelini, Defensive Coordinator, Defensive Line… I'm excited for this opportunity to work side by side with Carl. I'll be involved with every facet of the defense, but Carl will serve as defensive coordinator and coach the line. Carl spent the last three seasons as the defensive line coach at Ohio University, served as defensive coordinator at Minnesota State in 2004 and was on our Nebraska staff in 2003.

Mike Ekeler, Linebackers … A Nebraska native and a Kansas State grad, Mike was my graduate assistant at Oklahoma in 2004. We were also together at LSU where Mike was a graduate assistant and intern with the football program. Mike graduated from Blair High School in 1990 and was a member of the Bears' 1988 Class B state championship team, playing receiver and linebacker. He will coach our linebackers.

John Papuchis, Defensive Ends … John was with me at LSU where he served as a defensive intern, helping us rank third nationally in total defense each season. He also coached at Kansas after graduating from Virginia Tech. He brings such great energy with him.

Marvin Sanders, Cornerbacks… An excellent recruiter, Marvin coached our defensive backs at NU in 2003 when we set a school record with 47 takeaways. As a former player at Nebraska, Marvin will be an excellent leader for the Blackshirts and a great addition to the staff.

FYI... the text of the email sent today to the NU athletics mailing list:

It is great to be back in Nebraska. I'm sorry I have not been able to personally respond to your many phone calls, e-mails and notes, but I want you to know that Mary Pat, Patrick, Kate, Caralyn and I sincerely appreciate your thoughtfulness and warm welcome.

We have worked very hard to put together what I believe will be an excellent staff that already has been well received on the road recruiting. I am so appreciative of Coach Osborne's assistance with our recruiting and staffing—major efforts that will set the stage for future Nebraska successes. I am also confident that all of our assistant coaches will work extremely hard to get us back on track as a national football power.

Our staff is committed to reaching out to the Nebraska kids and developing young talent. We intend to play hard-nosed football with an aggressive Blackshirt defense and a physical, balanced offensive attack.

Shawn Watson and Ted Gilmore have agreed to join our new staff. They are dedicated to these players and I'm excited to have the opportunity to work with them both. Most of you have already seen the work ethic of Barney Cotton, Carl Pelini, Ron Brown and Marvin Sanders. I can assure you that Mike Ekeler and John Papuchis are also excellent teachers, communicators and motivators. Every coach on our staff has previous experience in the Big 12 Conference, and I'm confident that will help us to re-establish Nebraska as a force to be reckoned with in the league. We have also hired a running backs coach, but as he is committed to assist his current team in a bowl game, that hire will be announced at a later date.

In addition, I'm excited to announce the return of Jeff Jamrog back to our Nebraska family as Assistant Athletic Director for Football Operations . Jeff is fully aware of our Nebraska traditions as a former player and coach for the Huskers. Armed with head coaching experience, he has a clear understanding of what we need to accomplish on a day-to-day basis.

Complete biographies of our new staff can be found on Huskers.com. But as loyal supporters of our program, I want you to be the first to meet the staff as a group. Thank you for your continued support of Cornhusker Football and Go Big Red!

(digital sig of Bo)