Although wide receiver/defensive back Donovan McDonald wasn't announced as part of Nebraska's walk-on class on Signing Day, the 5-11, 178-pound athlete from Fork Union (Virginia) Military Academy is on NU's campus and participating in winter workouts, according to Fork Union head coach John Shuman.

McDonald participated in Fork Union's post-graduate football program last fall, looked a variety of schools, and settled on enrolling at Nebraska. Shuman contacted NU defensive line coach Hank Hughes — whom Shuman said had recruited Fork Union every year when he coached at Harvard, Connecticut and Cincinnati — and McDonald is now working out with the team, Shuman said. He could be a part of Nebraska's spring camp as a walk-on.
"It wouldn't surprise me if, in a year and a half, people are talking about this kid," Shuman said. "Like, 'Where did he come from?' He's a rangy athlete who can play wide receiver or defensive back."
In terms of athleticism, Shuman compared McDonald to former Husker/current Detroit Lion defensive back Mo Seisay, who also played for Shuman at Fork Union. A lot of top-end players have played for Shuman; in recent years, the program is probably best known for sending Cardale Jones and Carlos Hyde to Ohio State.

OWH

Why do you say it doesn't look good for us? It's between being a preferred walk on here, at Stanford, or greyshirting for wake forest. When I look him up the first school that pops up is usally us. His dad is good friends with will shields and Scott shanle, so there are some connections.

Because he's already visited Stanford and Northwestern but isn't even sure if he's going to visit here at all. Also, he said academics is first and foremost. We're a pretty distant third in that group.

• Fire 1

Green told the Star academics are important in his decision, but also "it comes down to I want to play high-level football, and all three schools (favorites Nebraska, Northwestern, Stanford) are high-level football.

"And it really just comes down to the guys on the team right now that I went on visits and met with, and the coaches, how I mesh with them, how I mesh with the school, whether I like the campus, and stuff like that. And that's really what my decision is going to come down to, is those factors. Because all of them have great academics and (great) football. There's really no bad choice."

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/article_f4f5459e-ae33-11e4-9768-93f1cce643fa.html

So does that put us at 10 confirmed walk on's at this point? They Announced these 9 confirmed on signing day. Add in the WR from the military academy in Virginia to make 10. Then we have the QB from Rockhurst as a possibility and I'm also hearing of a transfer from Drake to walk on? Is that right? So that would make 10 confirmed with 12 possible at this point, correct?

Fyn Anderson DL 6-3 260 Lincoln, Neb. Lincoln Southeast HS

Jared Brugmann LB 6-2 225 Gretna, Neb. Gretna HS

Brody Cleveland LB 6-2 210 Ogallala, Neb. Ogallala HS

Austin Hemphill FB 6-0 220 Gretna, Neb. Gretna HS

Reid Karel QB 6-3 190 Seward, Neb. Seward HS

Noah Johnson RB 6-0 195 Sutton, Neb. Sutton HS

Wyatt Mazour ATH 5-9 190 Albion, Neb. Boone Central HS

Jacob Weinmaster LB 6-0 200 Loveland, Colo. Loveland HS

Conor Young ATH 6-1 170 Cozad, Neb. Cozad HS

Only eight have been officially announced. Noah Johnson supposedly told HuskerOnline that he was walking-on but didn't make the list. Not sure what the story is. Also, the academy guy is rumored to be walking-on as well but hasn't been announced. Not sure if being a "preferred" walk-on has anything to do with any of that or not.

Only eight have been officially announced. Noah Johnson supposedly told HuskerOnline that he was walking-on but didn't make the list. Not sure what the story is. Also, the academy guy is rumored to be walking-on as well but hasn't been announced. Not sure if being a "preferred" walk-on has anything to do with any of that or not.

He's on the National Signing Day page on Huskers.com now

• Fire 1

He's on the National Signing Day page on Huskers.com now

Nice. Must have been a paperwork tie-up.

• Mavric unpinned this topic