Huskers in 2008

JGS30

I think the North will be tons of fun next year. I have to agree for the most part that NU will be better.

Nebraska has talent, I am not totally convinced in the overall team speed though. But that is why we play the games. Just like every fan at NU, CU, KSU and ISU can tell ku and MU, "Hey you did it one year, now do it again in 08' and maybe we believe." That is fair enough.

A couple of things I do know.

NU will be better just because Idiot # 1 and Idiot #2 are out of Lincoln.

ISU was playing damn good ball at the end of the season, can they continue it to 2008.

ku was very impressive, they lost some key personnel, can the reload? Mangino is a good coach, he will do a good job of trying to reload. I just do not know what ku has coming up to replace the losses.

CU will be improved. To ignore what Hawkins is doing, is only putting your head in the sand. CU will be much improved. Look for QB Hawkins to have a much improved 08'.

when is spring ball here???

I will admit one thing MU will be a power next year even more than last year if they can do one thing, last year Mizzou would come into a game and kick some behind but something about the 4th quarter with MU. games they broke in the 4th quarter BOTH OU games, the KU game, but they still won. those are the few i watched of MU but one thing i will say is they didnt agaisnt NU ahah nope. something about us got them pumped

Well of course NU gets us pumped up, how many years have you dominated us in football before 03'?

And throw in the 97', yes something about NU gets us going. Maybe it is the history and tradition that is NU football that gets us going. I am very confident in our players and coaches for next year. But we still have to do it on the field.

OH haha I was just saying that as in sarcastic manor i know you guys love the game and by the way 97 game was on the other haha its the only thing that made me feel good about husker football in a while. But ya, I would love for this game to get more and more excitment around it and become a balanced rivalrly. I have always said "I hope everyteam in the north becomes amazing, except I hope nebraska is just a little better always" its good to have fun competition in your conference and division. Best of luck to MU next year just not on October 4th cause North east Ohio to Lincoln, is a long drive, I dont wanna see a loss

I agree, I like the fact that the North as a group is becoming better. And I have the same philosophy as you. Everyone can be good until we play them. I think MU/NU is pretty balanced now. We have traded winning on field turf since 03'. I will be in Lincoln in October for the game as well. Bet ya, the winner buys the loser a beer?

Oh its on, by the way I just wanna hear an honest MU fan opinion because any other MU fan i get exposed to is ussually a just a banwagon fan considering im in OHIO, so they just tell me NU SUX AND TO SHUT UP Gabbert doesnt fit, does he like really?

I think the North will be tons of fun next year. I have to agree for the most part that NU will be better.

Nebraska has talent, I am not totally convinced in the overall team speed though. But that is why we play the games. Just like every fan at NU, CU, KSU and ISU can tell ku and MU, "Hey you did it one year, now do it again in 08' and maybe we believe." That is fair enough.

ISU was playing damn good ball at the end of the season, can they continue it to 2008.

ku was very impressive, they lost some key personnel, can the reload? Mangino is a good coach, he will do a good job of trying to reload. I just do not know what ku has coming up to replace the losses.

CU will be improved. To ignore what Hawkins is doing, is only putting your head in the sand. CU will be much improved. Look for QB Hawkins to have a much improved 08'.

I will admit one thing MU will be a power next year even more than last year if they can do one thing, last year Mizzou would come into a game and kick some behind but something about the 4th quarter with MU. games they broke in the 4th quarter BOTH OU games, the KU game, but they still won. those are the few i watched of MU but one thing i will say is they didnt agaisnt NU ahah nope. something about us got them pumped

Well of course NU gets us pumped up, how many years have you dominated us in football before 03'?

And throw in the 97', yes something about NU gets us going. Maybe it is the history and tradition that is NU football that gets us going. I am very confident in our players and coaches for next year. But we still have to do it on the field.

OH haha I was just saying that as in sarcastic manor i know you guys love the game and by the way 97 game was on the other haha its the only thing that made me feel good about husker football in a while. But ya, I would love for this game to get more and more excitment around it and become a balanced rivalrly. I have always said "I hope everyteam in the north becomes amazing, except I hope nebraska is just a little better always" its good to have fun competition in your conference and division. Best of luck to MU next year just not on October 4th cause North east Ohio to Lincoln, is a long drive, I dont wanna see a loss

I agree, I like the fact that the North as a group is becoming better. And I have the same philosophy as you. Everyone can be good until we play them. I think MU/NU is pretty balanced now. We have traded winning on field turf since 03'. I will be in Lincoln in October for the game as well. Bet ya, the winner buys the loser a beer?

Oh its on, by the way I just wanna hear an honest MU fan opinion because any other MU fan i get exposed to is ussually a just a banwagon fan considering im in OHIO, so they just tell me NU SUX AND TO SHUT UP Gabbert doesnt fit, does he like really?

Does Gabbert fit our system? Is that the question?

YA i think a qb like him could excel elsewhere, you guys should of started picking off the dual threats, hell still have a chance at pryor hahah

YA i think a qb like him could excel elsewhere, you guys should of started picking off the dual threats, hell still have a chance at pryor hahah

I think he fits in great in our system. He has a strong arm, very accurate. He is deceptively fast/quick for his size. What he needs to develope that Chase Daniel has is the ability to make incredibly quick decisions.

I guess when I look at our system, he is a great fit. We do not run the QB that much. Brad Smith had to out of necessity. Chase runs when it is open, otherwise he would rather throw the ball.

I think he fits in great in our system. He has a strong arm, very accurate. He is deceptively fast/quick for his size. What he needs to develope that Chase Daniel has is the ability to make incredibly quick decisions.

I guess when I look at our system, he is a great fit. We do not run the QB that much. Brad Smith had to out of necessity. Chase runs when it is open, otherwise he would rather throw the ball.

ya geuss your right but just hurts for a NU fan.

ya geuss your right but just hurts for a NU fan.

tl;dr

:) Just thought I should make some quick points. People are citing Manginos overall record, which is ridiculous. The team he took over was awful. No one, Tom Osborne included, could have done much with those guys. They were not good.

Also, all this talk of KU geting whipped in Lincoln. Some of you guys need to put down the red glasses for a second. The last two times KU went to Lincoln, and this was 2004 and 2006, teams most of you are giving no credit to, we lost by 6 and 7. We were in both games until the end. This is the best team we have brought up in a while and teams under new head coaches are famous for being unpredicatble. I am not declaring a victory, but I would bet if Vegas had to lay odds today, KU would be a very slim favorite. Maybe by 3. No glasses here, I just watch the games and we have played you boys well for 4 years now, including 2 close losses in Lincoln. I think writing that up as a win is a bit premature.

Also, our scheudle. No question it was not great, but you all dismiss it so readily...

Beating A&M at Kyle field was no small feat, as we were the only team to do it. Texas and Oklahoma State could not. Other than KU, A&M won all their other home games...

Colorado, on the road, was a tough game. They beat OU in Boulder and went to a Bowl. I think they were a nice road win.

Oklahoma State, on the road, was ot bad either. They also went bowling. A solid win against a fired up team.

K-State - Yeah, they melted down later. That was after they lost to us. They had just beat UT on the road. They are a rival and they HATE us. Its not an easy game.

Those are decent games. Throw in Central michigan, who played Purdue great in a Bowl game and won the MAC again. Should we have beaten them... yeah. Should we have beaten them 52-7 with backups playing the entire 4th quarter... well, that is a solid win.

I know our schedule could be harder, but we did well with what we did have. Beating Va Tech was no joke. I have no idea how you can call them pretenders, they won the ACC and a lot of people thought they should have been in the title game. They were a solid win.

I think 9-3 would be about what I would expect this year. I could see lots of things happening, next most likely is probably 8-4 then 10-2. I do think we will beat you in Lincoln. I think people should be happy if the Huskers have a winning season. A new Staff usually means a slow start. I think they are a good staff and Nebraska will be back. I am not so sure about in one season, but best of luck. I would bet a decent year this year, a better one next (with Kansas winning the North Next year, but not this one, as I think Mizzou will take it) and then you will be pretty tough, assuming the rebuilding has gone as planned. Huskers have a lot of inherent advantages with the built up tradition, stadium, etc. I would think it will be enough momentum to carry you back.

Oh, and last fact, KU has been playing football since 1890 too, someone cited that, and our series with the Huskers is like the 4th longest continuous series in College Football. We have produced some decent players (Sayers, Riggins, etc.) , we just have not been Nebraska, which is not a crime. I can tell you your traditions help a lot, but in the end, I would not underestimate Kansas... These kids were told all last year about how unprecedented they were... They did not care.

Nebraskans, of all people, should agree with Eisenhower (a Kansan :) ) in his quote

"it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in he dog"

Your once proud Walk on program was a testament to that, but do not dismiss that other teams can have heart.

History is nice, but the field is the same size for both teams, we all get 11 guys, and coaches and players win games. KU is gonna give you a fight. I think the doubters, who called them out weekly all year and in spite of everything they accomplished, would have learned that by now.

Best of luck next year and with your new staff, I wish you all a great season (minus one game).

K-State - Yeah, the melted down later. That was after they lost to us. They had just beat UT on the road. They are a rival and they HATE us. Its not an easy game.

most of the teams that play us from the big 8 hate us.. they bring it to us.. just as teams do to a texas or oklahoma more so than a kansas or a missouri.. especially in this aspect its a kick em while their down because we may not have that opportunity again.. so i don't see that being a "big" win just because its rivalry or hatred.. no college football game is easy to win.. it may LOOK easy, but its not...

:) Just thought I should make some quick points. People are citing Manginos overall record, which is ridiculous. The team he took over was awful. No one, Tom Osborne included, could have done much with those guys. They were not good.

Also, all this talk of KU geting whipped in Lincoln. Some of you guys need to put down the red glasses for a second. The last two times KU went to Lincoln, and this was 2004 and 2006, teams most of you are giving no credit to, we lost by 6 and 7. We were in both games until the end. This is the best team we have brought up in a while and teams under new head coaches are famous for being unpredicatble. I am not declaring a victory, but I would bet if Vegas had to lay odds today, KU would be a very slim favorite. Maybe by 3. No glasses here, I just watch the games and we have played you boys well for 4 years now, including 2 close losses in Lincoln. I think writing that up as a win is a bit premature.

Also, our scheudle. No question it was not great, but you all dismiss it so readily...

Beating A&M at Kyle field was no small feat, as we were the only team to do it. Texas and Oklahoma State could not. They won all their other home games...

Colorado, on the road, was a tough game. They beat OU in Boulder and went to a Bowl. I think they were a nice road win.

Oklahoma State, on the road, was ot bad either. They also went bowling. A solid win against a fired up team.

K-State - Yeah, the melted down later. That was after they lost to us. They had just beat UT on the road. They are a rival and they HATE us. Its not an easy game.

Those are decent games. Throw in Central michigan, who played Purdue great in a Bowl game and won the MAC again. Should we have beaten them... yeah. Should we have beaten them 52-7 with backups playing the entire 4th quarter... well, that is a solid win.

I know our schedule could be harder, but we did well with what we did have. Beating Va Tech was no joke. I have no idea how you can call them pretenders, they won the ACC and a lot of people thought they should have been in the title game. They were a solid win.

I think 9-3 would be about what I would expect this year. I could see lots of things happening, next most likely is probably 8-4 then 10-2. I do think we will beat you in Lincoln. I think people should be happy if the Huskers have a winning season. A new Staff usually means a slow start. I think they are a good staff and Nebraska will be back. I am not so sure about in one season, but best of luck. I would bet a decent year this year, a better one next (with Kansas winning the North Next year, but not this one, as I think Mizzou will take it) and then you will be pretty tough, assuming the rebuilding has gone as planned. Huskers have a lot of inherent advantages with the built up tradition, stadium, etc. I would think it will be enough momentum to carry you back.

Oh, and last fact, KU has been playing football since 1890 too, someone cited that, and our series with the Huskers is like the 4th longest continuous series in College Football. We have produced some decent players (Sayers, Riggins, etc.) , we just have not been Nebraska, which is not a crime. I can tell you your traditions help a lot, but in the end, I would not underestimate Kansas... These kids were otld all last year about how unprecedneted they were... They did not care.

Nebraskans, of all people, should agree with Eisenhower (a Kansan :) ) in his quote

"it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in he dog"

Your once proud Walk on prgram was a testament to that, but do not dismiss that other teams can have heart.

History is nice, but the field is the same size for both teams, we all get 11 guys, and coaches and players win games. KU is gonna give you a fight. I think the doubters, who called them out weekly all year and in spite of everything they accomplished, would have learned that by now.

Best of luck next year and with your new staff, I wish you all a great season (minus one game).

See why cant more people who come on this board from another fanbase and say something respectable like that, and i dont underestimate kansas, i have just marked it as a win, cause I hope for it and beleive peleni can do it, but good luck with your season, and its about time the north becomes a power

Beating A&M at Kyle field was no small feat, as we were the only team to do it. Texas and Oklahoma State could not. They won all their other home games...

Oh, and last fact, KU has been playing football since 1890 too, someone cited that, and our series with the Huskers is like the 4th longest continuous series in College Football. We have produced some decent players (Sayers, Riggins, etc.) , we just have not been Nebraska, which is not a crime. I can tell you your traditions help a lot, but in the end, I would not underestimate Kansas... These kids were otld all last year about how unprecedneted they were... They did not care.

Your once proud Walk on prgram was a testament to that, but do not dismiss that other teams can have heart.

See why cant more people who come on this board from another fanbase and say something respectable like that, and i dont underestimate kansas, i have just marked it as a win, cause I hope for it and beleive peleni can do it, but good luck with your season, and its about time the north becomes a power

KU lost several coaches...I think that is going to hurt them, probably more than Nebraska losing the majority of it's coaching staff. They do have a lot of good returning players though. And with them doing well last year, it was probably easier to recruit. Should be a good game this year. :box

As a Mizzou fan, I gotta say I love coming on huskerboard and reading a thread where Husker fans are trying to bring a sense of reality to KU fans. Whether KU or MU can maintain the success they had in 07 and whether and how quikcly NU can rebound is yet to be seen. Of course as an MU fan and with the playmakers we have returning I am optimistic about next season.

Ha...doesn't matter who ends up winning the North this year because, no matter what, ISU is going to make money hand over fist!

We have Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri at home this year (along with A&M...but who cares about them?) and we're gonna be gouging you opposing fans for all the cash we can get! Hot dogs? $50.00! Drinks? $10.00 per miniscule dixie cup! Want to get in? Gee...we don't have single game tickets...you want to come see your team play, you have to buy SEASON tickets! Only $2000 each (as long as you don't mind sitting on the hill behind the end zone...the good seats are going for $10,000! If you don't want to sit on the ground, which we faithfully and abundantly saturate with water before each and every home game, we'll be glad to rent you some folding chairs that we stole from the Methodist Church...only $50.00 a half along with a $100 damage deposit cheerfully refunded to you after the game...the rental booth closes at half-time though so you'll have to move pretty fast if you want your deposit back) If you want to park your car in the parking lot...that's gonna be another $25.00 plus $20.00 more to have someone watch it to make sure one of those unscrupulous fans doesn't break out your windows or steal your hubcaps or something. Oh well...if you don't want to pay for all that, you can always watch it on the net...of course you'll have to subsribe to Cyclone Nation. Only $50.00 a minute though! Can't beat that price with a stick!

Yep...ISU is gonna get RICH off you guys. Why...just think of what we can do with all that money! We might be able to finally get that blocking sled we've been looking at since '89! Maybe a few dumbbells...oh wait...we already got those last year when some CU fans got lost after the game and decided to stay in Ames....but maybe some new weights so our linemen can quit pulling cars around with ropes (you can always tell when ISU is practicing because your car never seems to be in the last place you parked it), heck...with all that cash, we may even be able to buy a baseball team!

Gonna be a good year for ISU, regardless of the record.