Huskers in 2008

JGS30

I'm back kids! It's great to be back.

I'm finally finished celebrating the Kansas Jayhawk Orange Bowl victory and an incredible 12-1 season!! I think I'm still hung over! I frequented this board alot before the season when everyone was picking NU and MU to compete for the North and I was frustrated because I knew my Hawks were being overlooked. I predicted a 9-3 record for 07 and many, many, ok all of the husker fans on this board laughed me right off of it.

Well Husker fans, you were right and I was wrong...they finished 12-1. I have to admit I didn't even see this coming, but lord knows I'll take it. With signing day today the Jayhawks are inking they're best class ever (well, at least according to Rivals) ranked #34. Still not as high as Nebraska's rivals ranking (27) but we all know you have to take these rankings with a grain of salt. Talib and Collins both left KU for the draft this year and they were both 2 star recruits. So who knows.

I love giving out early predictions for next year, and again with that said these must be taken with a grain of salt because alot can happen between know and August. Here's what I think about the North and the Big 12.

North

1. Missouri (11-1)- I'm picking these jerks because of their schedule. It sets up nice and even if KU beats them in Arrowhead this year (which I think they will) it won't matter. MU's schedule is too easy.

2. Kansas (10-2)- KU returns 9 of 11 defensive players and a handfull that saw time in the Orange Bowl. With Reesining, Fields, Briscoe, Meir, and Sharp, the offense will be just as difficult to defend. Plus add the #1 Juco RB into the mix (Jocques Crawford) this offensive will be better than last year. Don't sleep on Angus Quigley though. He has been in the program now for 3 years and has struggled with injuries and off the field problems. He may win the RB job. I see KU losing to OU and possibly MU (god I hope not). KU ends the streak in Lincoln.

3. Colorado (8-4)- I really like what they're doing in Boulder.

4. Nebraska (7-5)- Defense will improve from the beginning and you can't sleep on your offense. You lost some great skill players (receivers) but should be fine other than that on offense with your QB going into his Senior year. 8-4 is a possibility for this team, but I'll say 7-5.

5. Kansas State (6-6)- Questionable move from Prince bringing in 20 juco players, but desperate times call for desperate measures. This team quit half way through the season. I think the addition of some older players will make this group more competetive. Freeman needs to step up and become a leader.

6. Iowa State (4-8)- Tough situation in Ames. Losing alot of Seniors and really didn't look like anyone was coming in to help.

OK kids, send me those love or hate e-mails like you always do. I plan to be in Lincoln this year to FINALLY watch KU's losing streak end. Can't wait to visit the best bar in America (Sidetracks).

Cheers! JGS30

i respect your predictions...but dont hold onto a short term memory...overlooking this years Husker team is a mistake....recruiting classes have been good, and with the new staff in Lincoln the Huskers should be able to develop some under-rated players into big time suprises (like Kansas has done recently)...

Kansas has done a hell of a job finding hidden talent and developing it....hats off to last season....but dont scratch off any records just yet.... :box

...getting our asses kicked last year in Lawrence is still fresh on our mind....

I'm back kids! It's great to be back.

I'm finally finished celebrating the Kansas Jayhawk Orange Bowl victory and an incredible 12-1 season!! I think I'm still hung over! I frequented this board alot before the season when everyone was picking NU and MU to compete for the North and I was frustrated because I knew my Hawks were being overlooked. I predicted a 9-3 record for 07 and many, many, ok all of the husker fans on this board laughed me right off of it.

Well Husker fans, you were right and I was wrong...they finished 12-1. I have to admit I didn't even see this coming, but lord knows I'll take it. With signing day today the Jayhawks are inking they're best class ever (well, at least according to Rivals) ranked #34. Still not as high as Nebraska's rivals ranking (27) but we all know you have to take these rankings with a grain of salt. Talib and Collins both left KU for the draft this year and they were both 2 star recruits. So who knows.

I love giving out early predictions for next year, and again with that said these must be taken with a grain of salt because alot can happen between know and August. Here's what I think about the North and the Big 12.

North

1. Missouri (11-1)- I'm picking these jerks because of their schedule. It sets up nice and even if KU beats them in Arrowhead this year (which I think they will) it won't matter. MU's schedule is too easy.

2. Kansas (10-2)- KU returns 9 of 11 defensive players and a handfull that saw time in the Orange Bowl. With Reesining, Fields, Briscoe, Meir, and Sharp, the offense will be just as difficult to defend. Plus add the #1 Juco RB into the mix (Jocques Crawford) this offensive will be better than last year. Don't sleep on Angus Quigley though. He has been in the program now for 3 years and has struggled with injuries and off the field problems. He may win the RB job. I see KU losing to OU and possibly MU (god I hope not). KU ends the streak in Lincoln.

3. Colorado (8-4)- I really like what they're doing in Boulder.

4. Nebraska (7-5)- Defense will improve from the beginning and you can't sleep on your offense. You lost some great skill players (receivers) but should be fine other than that on offense with your QB going into his Senior year. 8-4 is a possibility for this team, but I'll say 7-5.

5. Kansas State (6-6)- Questionable move from Prince bringing in 20 juco players, but desperate times call for desperate measures. This team quit half way through the season. I think the addition of some older players will make this group more competetive. Freeman needs to step up and become a leader.

6. Iowa State (4-8)- Tough situation in Ames. Losing alot of Seniors and really didn't look like anyone was coming in to help.

OK kids, send me those love or hate e-mails like you always do. I plan to be in Lincoln this year to FINALLY watch KU's losing streak end. Can't wait to visit the best bar in America (Sidetracks).

Cheers! JGS30

Hard to argue MU and KU at the top. I do believe we beat Colorado at home...and i think we give both MU and KU a run for the money...although I'm not ready to predict a victory in either game just yet...

Kansas at 10-2 in 2008! :lol:

It's a documented fact that every time Kansas looks like they are going to finally gain sustained respectability...they end up totally sucking the next year. Kansas has a two year cycle of success about every 10 years

1967 - 5-5

1968 - 9-2 Bowl Game

1969 - 1-9

1980 - 4-5-2

1981 - 8-4 Bowl Game

1982 - 2-7-2

1991 - 6-5

1992 - 8-4 Bowl Game

1993 - 5-7

Then, for some reason, there was a statistical blip in the cycle

1994 - 6-5

1995 - 10-2 Bowl Game

1996 - 4-7

After that...not a single winning record till 2005

2005 - 7-5

2006 - 6-6

2007 - 12-1 Bowl Game

2008 - 5-7 (my prediction)

Kansas football success is NOT historically self-sustaining...therefore, Kansas will find itself at or near the bottom of the B-12 North next year.

Fairly reasonable predictions, although I think they overestimate CU and underestimate NU. I think 8-4 is as bad as we'll do, with a realistic shot at being 9-3 or 10-2, with losses to OU and MU and either VT or KU (we will have an upset victory this year). KU and NU fight it out for 2nd in the B12 North, with CU a couple games back (they will lose at least one or two they are not supposed to).

Kansas football success is NOT historically self-sustaining...therefore, Kansas will find itself at or near the bottom of the B-12 North next year.

Kansas football is NOT historically ranked in the post season top 10.

Kansas football is NOT historically coached by Mangino.

Times change.

A few years ago, who would have predicted that MU and KU would both be in the national top 10 rankings.....

... at the same time!

But opinions vary.

only because of the booger eater, tony temple, and jeremy maclin

Tony won't be much help, since he's likely be trying to latch onto an NFL team...

I thought Stinkel and him announced he would be going to the NFL....they did not want to waste anymore time on trying to get him for another year.

The records seem to be pretty accurate. I think I would give NU one more win, but it will be tough to beat out MU for the North. As we all saw this past year, anything can happen on Saturday. MU or KU could get slip up against a lower team and that is it.

It's a documented fact that every time Kansas looks like they are going to finally gain sustained respectability...they end up totally sucking the next year. Kansas has a two year cycle of success about every 10 years

1967 - 5-5

1968 - 9-2 Bowl Game

1969 - 1-9

1980 - 4-5-2

1981 - 8-4 Bowl Game

1982 - 2-7-2

1991 - 6-5

1992 - 8-4 Bowl Game

1993 - 5-7

Then, for some reason, there was a statistical blip in the cycle

1994 - 6-5

1995 - 10-2 Bowl Game

1996 - 4-7

After that...not a single winning record till 2005

2005 - 7-5

2006 - 6-6

2007 - 12-1 Bowl Game

2008 - 5-7 (my prediction)

Historically Kansas hasn't had a QB like Todd Reesing or a coach as good as Mangino. KU will finish 10-2 my little cyclone friend. Enjoy fighting KSU for last place in the North.