New Husker Tradition Idea

MidtownJK

Something to talk about (or not) during this downtime and cold weather.

I think a cool tradition would be to plant, near or inside (somewhere) the stadium some rows of corn. Seeds could be planted by alumni, captains, seniors, or some other similar vip or notable husker. They could be planted in some area with marble/stone boundaries with some poetic/inspiring script on it. Maybe in the same architectural style as the capitol building. Dirt could be brought in from all over the state. Good opportunity for symbolism.

They could even use the corn seeds in some fashion during spring practice or winter training representing number of hours worked, records broken or some other symbolic deal.

By fall, the corn would be ready to "harvest" but could serve as a focal point of sorts for rally's, pregames and even TV shots.

This could be used as a get back to "old school" Nebraska values and traditions stemming from the agrarian nature of the state. In this (Pederson) corporate culture, we seem to want to distance ourselves from anything that seems too Nebraska.

I agree we need to foster a modern progressive image for the state. I agree we need to do away with some of the "hick" aspects of our image.

On the other hand, corn is at the heart of our name and our state. The corn motif is all over our capitol and civic buildings and that is done in very classy fashion.

Let me know your thoughts or if they already have this somewhere.

I think there are some other things that can be done....planting corn in the stadium makes NU look like a bunch of hicks and nothing but farmers. I think the numbers of the All-Americans and Academic All-Americans, the bricks with people's names on them, and the sellout streak is enough to show the heritage and traditions of the University.

Where do you think that tradition derived from? I am sorry, but I am going to have to nominate you to wear a corn head and do the corn dance for everyone to see in front of the stadium before all home games this year - next to the rows of corn they ought to plant out there...I didn't think it was all that bad of an idea.

Only problem is, is some Knuckehead from CU or K-State will undoubtedly come up in the middle of the night and pull it all out of the ground.

I think there are some other things that can be done....planting corn in the stadium makes NU look like a bunch of hicks and nothing but farmers. I think the numbers of the All-Americans and Academic All-Americans, the bricks with people's names on them, and the sellout streak is enough to show the heritage and traditions of the University.

Where do you think that tradition derived from? I am sorry, but I am going to have to nominate you to wear a corn head and do the corn dance for everyone to see in front of the stadium before all home games this year - next to the rows of corn they ought to plant out there...I didn't think it was all that bad of an idea.

Only problem is, is some Knuckehead from CU or K-State will undoubtedly come up in the middle of the night and pull it all out of the ground.

I know that is where the NU tradition started....anyone who is a fan would know that. I just think there is other things NU could do instead of planting corn inside the stadium. Outside of the stadium might be OK, but I am not 100% sold on the idea.

I do have a corn head and if it would make you feel better, I would do a the dance for you before all home games. If that is how I can get to the games, I'm in.

I know that is where the NU tradition started....anyone who is a fan would know that. I just think there is other things NU could do instead of planting corn inside the stadium. Outside of the stadium might be OK, but I am not 100% sold on the idea.

I do have a corn head and if it would make you feel better, I would do a the dance for you before all home games. If that is how I can get to the games, I'm in.

I don't want the corn inside the stadium...not enough room in there the way it is. I wouldn't be opposed to having a little patch put out in the common area in front of the stadium somewhere....not a big one, maybe about 10x20 or something like that...and hey, I would be there with you doing that corn dance...but it wouldn't be pretty... :corndance:hellloooo