RB Brandon Wegher

ESPN:

Wegher's huge day ends Harlan's regular season winning streak

Iowa running back pledge Brandon Wegher carried 34 times for an astounding 319 yards (9.4 average) and three touchdowns (21, 88, 43 yards) and connected on four extra point attempts as Bishop Heelan defeated Harlan Community (Ia.) 28-13, the World-Herald reports.

Harlan was riding a regular season winning streak of almost six years before the contest.

ESPN:

Wegher's huge day ends Harlan's regular season winning streak

Iowa running back pledge Brandon Wegher carried 34 times for an astounding 319 yards (9.4 average) and three touchdowns (21, 88, 43 yards) and connected on four extra point attempts as Bishop Heelan defeated Harlan Community (Ia.) 28-13, the World-Herald reports.

Harlan was riding a regular season winning streak of almost six years before the contest.

he had a great game, and Harlan is alway in the top 5 every year...they were #2 facing the crusaders

If Oku does end up a Tenn. Volunteer, do we go after Wegher as a RB now and not as a DB?

Since Nebraska already has Tray Robinson (and a FB) in this class, I think they were only taking a 2nd running back if they were a potential superstar, 5 :star, studs like Oku or Christine Michael. Apparently the staff felt Wegher was not that kind of player. Right now there are greater needs at other positions like OL, WR, and pretty much the whole defense. I think there also might be some good opportunities for 2010 RBs.

OTOH I have no real insider knowledge, so perhaps once Oku and Michael commit elsewhere, the staff starts sending notes to kids that had wanted to be recruited as RBs that Nebraska will now consider them for that position. :dunno

The other question of course is will any of the RBs already committed to Tenn (Jarvis Giles, etc.) reconsider since 4 RBs starts to make things a little crowded there.

If Oku does end up a Tenn. Volunteer, do we go after Wegher as a RB now and not as a DB?

Since Nebraska already has Tray Robinson (and a FB) in this class, I think they were only taking a 2nd running back if they were a potential superstar, 5 :star, studs like Oku or Christine Michael. Apparently the staff felt Wegher was not that kind of player. Right now there are greater needs at other positions like OL, WR, and pretty much the whole defense. I think there also might be some good opportunities for 2010 RBs.

OTOH I have no real insider knowledge, so perhaps once Oku and Michael commit elsewhere, the staff starts sending notes to kids that had wanted to be recruited as RBs that Nebraska will now consider them for that position. :dunno

The other question of course is will any of the RBs already committed to Tenn (Jarvis Giles, etc.) reconsider since 4 RBs starts to make things a little crowded there.

NU was recruiting Wegher as a DB and not RB.

• 2 months later...

Heelan 'not finished yet'

Brandon Wegher carried 24 times for 183 yards and three touchdowns, kicked a 42-yard field goal and booted four kickoffs for touchbacks. Then he went to the locker room. For halftime. The Sioux City Heelan star zapped the life from Clear Lake with a spectacular first half. Top-rated Heelan raced to a 27-0 lead before coasting to a 27-7 Class 3-A state semifinal victory over the No. 2 Lions Monday at the UNI-Dome.

Hope we're not regretting not pursuing this guy in a few years.

IMO, this is the biggest "loss" that we may have in this class. Folks, this kid is for real, and is a man among boys in a very competitive classification in Iowa (yes, I know it isn't a football hot-bed), but he will make a big name for himself... He can flat out "fly" and is put together well. I think that we shouldn't give up on him, but then that would be "dirty" recruiting, so I also don't promote that either.......damn, I'm stuck.

IMO, this is the biggest "loss" that we may have in this class. Folks, this kid is for real, and is a man among boys in a very competitive classification in Iowa (yes, I know it isn't a football hot-bed), but he will make a big name for himself... He can flat out "fly" and is put together well. I think that we shouldn't give up on him, but then that would be "dirty" recruiting, so I also don't promote that either.......damn, I'm stuck.

Screw the "clean" recruiting. Just do anything to get these guys here, except something that lands us on probation.