Joe Ganz Interceptions

I think that when we criticize Joe for his INTs, it is not in ignorance of the game situations at the time of many of them. However, the last image we have of him is the one where he cost us the game against Colorado. Say what you want about the D in that game, but Joe's 3rd quarter was absolutely horrible.

That being said, I am excited to have Ganz back. The experience he got last year taught him a few things I'm sure. With another spring and fall camp under his belt, I'm betting he becomes really good at deciding when to make the deep throw, when to dump it off, when to tuck and run, and when to throw it away. The O should be just fine this year.

I think that when we criticize Joe for his INTs, it is not in ignorance of the game situations at the time of many of them. However, the last image we have of him is the one where he cost us the game against Colorado. Say what you want about the D in that game, but Joe's 3rd quarter was absolutely horrible.

That being said, I am excited to have Ganz back. The experience he got last year taught him a few things I'm sure. With another spring and fall camp under his belt, I'm betting he becomes really good at deciding when to make the deep throw, when to dump it off, when to tuck and run, and when to throw it away. The O should be just fine this year.

Where is the Texas Tech QB at? They throw more than anyone? I kinda think you left him off purposely! Graham Harrell was 48-14, which was better than any QB you listed, and he plays in the Big 12!

Where is the Texas Tech QB at? They throw more than anyone? I kinda think you left him off purposely! Graham Harrell was 48-14, which was better than any QB you listed, and he plays in the Big 12!

You beat me to the punch on Graham, I realized he wasn't on the list as well. His line this past year was:

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT

Graham Harrell 512 713 5705 71.8 8.00 48 14 157.3

Despite everyone knowing that TT would throw every down, he threw for 48 TD's and still had less than 20 INT's. This is why I don't fully buy the argument that you can't take what Joe did on face value simply because NU threw a lot over the last 4 games. Yes they did throw a lot, but he still made a higher percentage of bad plays than the other top Big XII QB's. Hopefully the practice with the 1st Team O will gain experience and confidence so that he doesn't force it as often. Like I said earlier if he keeps up his current pace of INT's, a high negative TO DIFF will result and NU won't win 8+ games.

Where is Colt McCoy? He had it pretty rough last year. His O-line didn't protect him and he got pretty beat up. I really like him, he is one tough dude. Kind of reminds me of Brett Favre. Kind of wish Nebraska would have gotten a chance to get him.

I thought he looked great against the Jayhawks. Was that his first game as the starter? I seem to remember it being his first, but am not sure...

Yep, first start. He was doing good 'til we were forced to pass every play and KU just sat back and pinned their ears back. I still believe if we had half of a defense we could of at least made it a game, maybe even won. I just loved Callahan's quote from after the game "The quick slants that KU runs are impossible to defend."

All of the stats and love and hugging and kisses for ganz are great. No really they are meaningless.

I think you have to look at the overall picture. He threw a lot of picks in 3 games not 4. He threw a lot of should be picks in 3 games not 4. He did this in an enviroment where people knew we were throwing so what. What happens in a 2 minute drill, PEOPLE KNOW WE ARE THROWING. What happens when we are behind, yes WE WILL BE BEHIND AGAIN. You also must look at passes that were neither INT's or should have been INT's. I seem to recall a lot of poorly thrown balls especially balls thrown down the field. I seem to recall a QB having to put excess air under the ball when throwing down field. I seem to recall several passes that safeties made plays on because the arm strength wasnt there.

Look, Ganz is a Husker therefore i love him. I just dont believe that he can be or is the best QB we have on the roster. I believe the only thing going for him is experience. What is the preseason for, experience, we play some cupcakes that is when Lee or Witt gets there experience.

I just dont get it. we Husker fans want the moon, but are pining for and praying for an average at best QB to win the job and in doing so we routinely and purposely overlook the hard evidence which is Ganz is avg at best, we have better potential on the bench.

If (A Big IF) Joe had performed for a full season like he did in the time he played, his QB rating of 163.4 would have been 3rd in the NCAA behind Bradford and Tebow (176.5 and 172.5 respectively). Unfortunately, he wouldn't have been able to perform against K-State and Colorado every week.

If (A Big IF) Joe had performed for a full season like he did in the time he played, his QB rating of 163.4 would have been 3rd in the NCAA behind Bradford and Tebow (176.5 and 172.5 respectively). Unfortunately, he wouldn't have been able to perform against K-State and Colorado every week.

I thought the max QB rating possible was a 158.3?

Using the NFL formula, it is. The NCAA uses a different formula and the maximum is 1261.6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

Here's the formula if you like playing with spreadsheets, etc.

a = (Comp/Att) * 100

b = (TDs/Att) * 100

c = (Int/Att) * 100

d = Yards/Att

QB Rating = a+( 3.3*b )-(2*c)+(8.4*d)

If (A Big IF) Joe had performed for a full season like he did in the time he played, his QB rating of 163.4 would have been 3rd in the NCAA behind Bradford and Tebow (176.5 and 172.5 respectively).

Uh huh...and if I was Warren Buffett's kid I wouldn't be looking under my couch cushions for enough change to buy myself a six-pack.... <_<

Frankly...who cares if the QB (be it Ganz or Lee) can throw the ball on a rope for 150 yards? Looking at the receivers coming back, I really don't think that Swift or Peterson or any of the other ones have enough speed to beat coverage way down field anyway. The guy who runs the team has to be the one that:

1) Gains the confidence and respect of his teammates

2) Is a multi-threat who is accurate to maybe 15 to 20 yards downfield

3) Can hand or pitch the ball off to the running back without screwing it up...

I don't know why everyone is so concerned with the passing game anyway. The biggest fallacy I've seen is that you can't win unless you have some gunslinger who has a rocket for an arm. Bah...you want to look exciting or do you want to win some ball games? If you want to win, you invest some time and effort in getting yourself a couple of quality backs to go with Lucky, reschool the offensive line in run blocking (and don't leave out the receivers in that reschoolng...hopefully Ron Brown will bring back the "stone" and "blaze" gradng for those guys), show the QB who the TE and FB are and tell them they can catch some passes now and then too....and finally...run the damn ball. Use the run to set up the pass...This is the freakin Big 12...this ain't the PAC-10 or the Big 10. We play REAL football here...smash mouth, go cry to your mama football...or at least we used to.

Gawd...if I have to go through another year of that god-awful "finesse...spread...zone block" crap, I might have to mow the grass on Saturdays or something....