SIGNED: ATH Rex Burkhead

I agree the future recruiting just by getting this guy here is going to be a big help with Texas kids same with Williams. The more texas kids we have on the team the better the pipline will be. There where other backs that I saw that looked more talented then this kid but from what has been said about his work ethics and Beck teaching him he should turn out to one hell of a back for us. I think more then anything that this staff can coach and mold the kids into better players then they ever thought they could be if they are willing to work hard stay out of trouble you will see some great football over the next couple of years.

Just an objective question: When you say Rex is less talented than others, and that certainly could be possible, what are you basing it on? Videos? Games you have personally been to? Looking at the video of Burkhead, and I realize it doesn't tell you everything, I don't see how you can be much more athletic than that. It at least seems like he has more moves than Giles. But, of course, this shows him at his best only. :dunno

I agree the future recruiting just by getting this guy here is going to be a big help with Texas kids same with Williams. The more texas kids we have on the team the better the pipline will be. There where other backs that I saw that looked more talented then this kid but from what has been said about his work ethics and Beck teaching him he should turn out to one hell of a back for us. I think more then anything that this staff can coach and mold the kids into better players then they ever thought they could be if they are willing to work hard stay out of trouble you will see some great football over the next couple of years.

Just an objective question: When you say Rex is less talented than others, and that certainly could be possible, what are you basing it on? Videos? Games you have personally been to? Looking at the video of Burkhead, and I realize it doesn't tell you everything, I don't see how you can be much more athletic than that. It at least seems like he has more moves than Giles. But, of course, this shows him at his best only. :dunno

Just a personal opinon from watching videos with the a combination of what Rivals,scouts and other sites say about him. I'm by no mean disapointed in him and his play I think he is a great pick up ,with the coaching that is in place I see a bright future for Rex. The one thing I see Rex has over the other backs is detrmination from watching the other back that N was looking at they show signs of flash but not the Drive that you see from Rex.

Just a personal opinon from watching videos with the a combination of what Rivals,scouts and other sites say about him. I'm by no mean disapointed in him and his play I think he is a great pick up ,with the coaching that is in place I see a bright future for Rex. The one thing I see Rex has over the other backs is detrmination from watching the other back that N was looking at they show signs of flash but not the Drive that you see from Rex.

Just hope he doesn't break his wrist or elbow from all that stiff arming...

• 3 weeks later...

Burkhead has been chosen The Dallas Morning News' 2008 Offensive Player of the Year. Here are links to some videos we put together for the 2008 team:

In this one, Burkhead and the defensive player of the year talk about playing against each other as district rivals the last three years.

This is a 2008 highlight package sent out by his high school.

Here is the article about POY award:

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Rex Burkhead, Plano, senior, running back

Height, weight: 6-0, 205

About Burkhead: Rushed for 1,762 yards and 28 touchdowns. Caught 42 passes for 594 yards and five more scores. Averaged 26.2 yards on kickoff returns, including one for a touchdown. Averaged 12.4 yards on punt returns, returning one for a TD.

Did you know? Burkhead's nickname is "Superman" because of his many athletic feats, including playing as a freshman on Plano's state champion basketball team. Yet his favorite superhero is actually Batman.

There's not much more one player can do for his team than what Rex Burkhead did in 2008. Playing multiple positions and making plays on both sides of the ball, Burkhead helped Plano win 10 games this season.

Being a jack-of-all-trades is nothing new at the high school level, but to do it in Class 5A for one of the state's largest schools, and most heralded programs, is unheard of these days.

His primary position was running back, but he was really two backs in one. Depending on the situation, Burkhead could cut, slash and make tacklers miss with the best of them. When Plano needed to load up in the I-formation and run straight at people, Burkhead could be a punishing, power rusher.

He was Plano's second-leading receiver with 42 catches. He also threw three passes, completing one for 19 yards.

He was a dangerous return man. He returned a punt and a kickoff for touchdowns.

Burkhead also played defense in certain situations, especially in big games when his team needed a boost.

One of his most spectacular plays came when he was defending an extra-point attempt. The opponent faked a kick and tried to run for two points. Burkhead stripped the ball from the runner and returned it 98 yards for two points the other way.

RECENT WINNERS

Year Player Pos. School

2002 Bill Foran QB Highland Park

2003 Graham Harrell QB Ennis

2004 Chase Daniel QB Southlake Carroll

2005 Matthew Stafford QB Highland Park

2006 William Cole QB Cedar Hill

2007 Riley Dodge QB Southlake Carroll

About Burkhead: Rushed for 1,762 yards and 28 touchdowns. Caught 42 passes for 594 yards and five more scores. Averaged 26.2 yards on kickoff returns, including one for a touchdown. Averaged 12.4 yards on punt returns, returning one for a TD.

Did you know? Burkhead's nickname is "Superman" because of his many athletic feats, including playing as a freshman on Plano's state champion basketball team. Yet his favorite superhero is actually Batman.

There's not much more one player can do for his team than what Rex Burkhead did in 2008. Playing multiple positions and making plays on both sides of the ball, Burkhead helped Plano win 10 games this season.

Being a jack-of-all-trades is nothing new at the high school level, but to do it in Class 5A for one of the state's largest schools, and most heralded programs, is unheard of these days.

His primary position was running back, but he was really two backs in one. Depending on the situation, Burkhead could cut, slash and make tacklers miss with the best of them. When Plano needed to load up in the I-formation and run straight at people, Burkhead could be a punishing, power rusher.

He was Plano's second-leading receiver with 42 catches. He also threw three passes, completing one for 19 yards.

Burkhead also played defense in certain situations, especially in big games when his team needed a boost.

One of his most spectacular plays came when he was defending an extra-point attempt. The opponent faked a kick and tried to run for two points. Burkhead stripped the ball from the runner and returned it 98 yards for two points the other way.

RECENT WINNERS

Year Player Pos. School

An impressive list of recent winners. Burkhead has the papers. Now lets see what this stud can do!!!

RECENT WINNERS

Year Player Pos. School

An impressive list of recent winners. Burkhead has the papers. Now lets see what this stud can do!!!

:yeah Very impressive list

RECENT WINNERS

Year Player Pos. School

We all know what the guys in bold have done. Here's a few notes about the other guys:

Bill Foran went to Purdue and then transferred to Princeton after Purdue moved him to RB. He did not have the arm strength to be a DI QB (Purdue was the only DI to give him the chance), but wanted stick with his position of choice.

William Cole missed this season for Okie State with a knee injury. He was recruited at DB but made the switch to WR and was going to be in the mix to start this year.

Riley Dodge decommitted from Texas to follow his dad, Head Coach Todd Dodge, to North Texas. Concussion knocked him out of this season. He was pitching in at slot receiver but will compete for QB job next year.

'Unsportsmanlike Conduct' had rivals Jeremy Crabtree on a few weeks back and he said (not verbatim) if Burkhead would have been of African American decent, he most likely would have been one of top 50 players in the country. That in part has lead me to dismiss the opinions of the so called "experts". Lets get this kid signed I'm excited to see what he can do!