SIGNED: ATH Rex Burkhead

So do you guys think he will redshirt? or will he play next year?

Sounds like he definitely contribute right away on special teams. I think one of the RBs coming in gets PT. Since he is so versatile it might make sense for it to be him. Probably depends how quick everyone picks up the offense.

Should have posted this here:

Plano star Rex Burkhead picks the Huskers

Running back / receiver Rex Burkhead of Plano, Texas, has given his committment to Nebraska over Texas A&M and Stanford. He also had offers from Texas Tech, Michigan, California, Mississippi, Louisville, Virginia and Auburn, among others.

ESPN's Billy Tucker elaborated on the pickup, "Pelini lands another quality prospect in Burkhead, a kid who will add great versatility and toughness to Nebraska's future roster. He is a blue-collar, high-motor type player who really fits the first-year Cornhusker coach's style."

"Potentially recruited more as an athlete, we feel Burkhead could line up at receiver or even tailback in Lincoln. He has good speed, agility and great vision with the ball in his hands. It may be his true grit and hard-nosed running style that stands out the most on film. While not overly fluid he can be a load to take down when he squares up his shoulder pads and accelerates downhill. Not an ideal positional prospect, but Burkhead is one of the better pure "football players" in this class."

"Another non-ESPNU 150 member for Nebraska, but its eighth prospect with a solid Scouts Inc, grade of 77 or higher. He may have started off a bit slow, but Pelini could sign a very quality class come February filled with system-fitting prospects with immeasurable intangibles."

During his senior season, Burkhead rushed for 1,762 yards and 28 touchdowns. He also had 24 receptions for 594 yards and five scores.

So do you guys think he will redshirt? or will he play next year?

If, and I say if because I really doubt that he'll end up as a RB --- but if he starts that way (as an RB --- which is quite possible) then he certainly, absolutely will redshirt. With Helu, Castille, and Mendoza as backs --- all experienced and all three very good (with Helu potentially really, really good) Burkhead will have no chance to compete against that crew --- not this early in his career. If he were to play safety, or OLB or a slot receiver --- all of which he could potentially excel at, he would see the field earlier than would be the case if stayed as a RB. Even still, I'd guess a redshirt is most likely.

He is, undoubtedly a great, great recruit and we will see wonderful things from him --- just not likely next year (unless it is a special teams player which is the most likely means of escaping a redshirt --- kick/punt returner). Gotta love this kids versatility.

What position do you think he'll play here?

you're going to find varying opinions on that subject here. I for one believe they recruited him as a running back, and that's where he'll stay.

recruited as a RB --- yes. Is that where he will stay? Who knows. If he wants early playing time, well... Helu has two years left --- so does Castille and Mendoza has three. And we also have Collins Okafor with 4 years remaining. That is stiff competition. At safety we have two positions (free and strong) and we have much less depth, less talent and generally the people there have less remaining eligibility. He'd hit the field sooner there than at RB. Also, OLB is more likely for him to play early (than at RB) --- though maybe only modestly. As a receiver, again there is less talent there and a better chance to play early. So.... it depends on him --- and the coaches ---- when he gets here and as he moved though the program with time as to where he actually ends up. Injuries will play a role too. And, if McBurse comes that too will play a role.

The point being that he could be at any of four positions and there are way too many variables to predict which one he ultimately settles in to. I think that if early PT is in view, apart from some injuries, that position will not be RB (though he could be really good there --- as he would at safety or OLB or receiver. Time will tell.

His value lies in his versatility. Anyone predicting where, precisely he ends up playing is really grasping at straws --- no one knows. Could be on either side of the ball.

As an example consider the RB film of Prince Amukamara --- he was awesome --- his film was at least on par with that of Rex (if not more impressive) --- and while he might be a great RB at NU he is on D. Many are like that.

The coaches will find the best fit for him. But man that burst of speed he has in the open field is just crazy. I think with that and the power he shows he would make an excellent go to guy at WR. If he can run some of the routes like Swift and Petersen with that burst of speed that would be dangerous. Welcome aboard!!!