is Husker Trev Alberts Right About Kansas being for Real? Can they contend with Nebraska?

KU vs. NU in the next 5 years...  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

By Trev Alberts, link here... http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/040908aaj.html

Is Kansas for real? Can they repeat what they did last season or will it be the same old Kansas? - Eric L., Missouri

I don't think Kansas will ever be the "same old Kansas." I just don't. I think Mark Mangino has really changed the culture, changed the expectations there. I think if you watch those kids play now, they expect to win every week. And often times a program that has struggled for so long, that's the biggest hurdle you have to get over.

Remember, Kansas was in the conversation at the end of the year for the national championship. Will they sneak up on anybody anymore? No. Everybody knows Kansas is for real. Last year, they worked, they were tough, they paid a price and they were hungry. The interesting thing is how does coach Mangino instill the confidence and hunger from last year. You still have some quality players around. There's talent and they'll continue to upgrade. I wouldn't necessarily pick them to win the Big 12 North, but I think they'll have a great year in 2008.

By Trev Alberts, link here... http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/040908aaj.html

Is Kansas for real? Can they repeat what they did last season or will it be the same old Kansas? - Eric L., Missouri

I don't think Kansas will ever be the "same old Kansas." I just don't. I think Mark Mangino has really changed the culture, changed the expectations there. I think if you watch those kids play now, they expect to win every week. And often times a program that has struggled for so long, that's the biggest hurdle you have to get over.

Remember, Kansas was in the conversation at the end of the year for the national championship. Will they sneak up on anybody anymore? No. Everybody knows Kansas is for real. Last year, they worked, they were tough, they paid a price and they were hungry. The interesting thing is how does coach Mangino instill the confidence and hunger from last year. You still have some quality players around. There's talent and they'll continue to upgrade. I wouldn't necessarily pick them to win the Big 12 North, but I think they'll have a great year in 2008.

Last year was a fluke, the stars were aligned in a perfect order for KS...they will never, ever, have another year like last year.

I think Trev is spot on.

Mangino is a great coach. If he lives long enough he will do great things for the program.

Nebraska fans seem to feel we are the only ones who can get better, that other teams becasue they don't have history or traditon, which mean absolutely nothing as far as I am concerned on the field, recruiting maybe but the only time it matters. See the last 4 years.

I expect to see Nebraska improve and get better every year. But we have a tremendous amount of hurdles to clear this year. Two very strong teams in the North. Kansas and Missouri both return adequate talent and hypsman QB's. Thinking that by waving the magic Pelini wand we are going to dominate them is just pure homerism in my mind. I always respect our opponents. Expect a good game from them and I have very little doubt no one told Kansas or Missouri they are going to lose at Nebraska no matter the past. They will both come in here with their ears pinned back and ready to change history.

Will they do it. Too early to really have an idea. But I expect Nebraska to be more prepared for a football game than they have been in the last 4 years. I expect hard hitting never say die play. Win or lose as long as we do that I will be okay with the outcome. Three years from now could be a different story.

But congrats to your team and your rival to the east. You guys deserve it and as Rome says, who has scoreboard. You have nothing to question. You did the job and I am sure each and everyone of them feel they will be able to do it again. That is the key.

We haven't done anything for quite awhile. Who believes, who delivers, who can we really count on. Absolutely no one at this time. Bo can not play the games for them. We will know where we stand after the Va Tech game not until. Hopefully we will have a good answer for you by then. Well hopefully you won't like our answer.

Last year was a fluke, the stars were aligned in a perfect order for KS...they will never, ever, have another year like last year.

I dissagree.

They probably will lose a couple more games next season, but as long as they can keep bernie..er..Mark alive, there should be an attitude change throughout the whole program..Plus they have Todd Brown's son playing for them for a couple more seasons.

I think the Big XII North is going to turn into a free for all..............

:yeah

I really don't expect KU having another year like they did this past year ever again, but i won't be surprise if they do..... Mangino is a good coach, i don't know what KU's talent will be like over the next few yrs...... esp. if NU and CU can get back on track(which i think they are)........ the north is wide open, i think the term: "any given saturday" is going to get a deeper meaning in big12 play over the next few yrs....... the big 12 is now like the sec in those regards

NU - I expect to contend in the north next year, and for years to come(the homer in me says we'll be the team to beat, but the entire division is getting stronger)

MU - should continue what its done over the last few yrs.

CU - looks to be back on track...... Hawkins is a good coach

ISU - CYCLONES ARE SCARY!!!! they can strike when ever they flippen feel like it

KSU - it'll be interesting to see what happens to them for the next few yrs, i don't expect Prince to be back after next season

I think the Big XII North is going to turn into a free for all..............

which is good, so long as the big xii north champion doesn't become the recipient of mauling to be delivered by oklahoma/texas at a date to be determined.

I think Trev is spot on.

Mangino is a great coach. If he lives long enough he will do great things for the program.

Nebraska fans seem to feel we are the only ones who can get better, that other teams becasue they don't have history or traditon, which mean absolutely nothing as far as I am concerned on the field, recruiting maybe but the only time it matters. See the last 4 years.

I expect to see Nebraska improve and get better every year. But we have a tremendous amount of hurdles to clear this year. Two very strong teams in the North. Kansas and Missouri both return adequate talent and hypsman QB's. Thinking that by waving the magic Pelini wand we are going to dominate them is just pure homerism in my mind. I always respect our opponents. Expect a good game from them and I have very little doubt no one told Kansas or Missouri they are going to lose at Nebraska no matter the past. They will both come in here with their ears pinned back and ready to change history.

Will they do it. Too early to really have an idea. But I expect Nebraska to be more prepared for a football game than they have been in the last 4 years. I expect hard hitting never say die play. Win or lose as long as we do that I will be okay with the outcome. Three years from now could be a different story.

But congrats to your team and your rival to the east. You guys deserve it and as Rome says, who has scoreboard. You have nothing to question. You did the job and I am sure each and everyone of them feel they will be able to do it again. That is the key.

We haven't done anything for quite awhile. Who believes, who delivers, who can we really count on. Absolutely no one at this time. Bo can not play the games for them. We will know where we stand after the Va Tech game not until. Hopefully we will have a good answer for you by then. Well hopefully you won't like our answer.

I have to agree with you. I remember how bad K.ST was for so long, before they got a coach who could turned it around. If Mangino remains there, they should be able to put a good team on the field each year. The one thing I think we have over all the North teams is tradition. I think that will help us get most of the recruits that we go head to head with in the north, and even sometimes against Okl and Texas. The one big "if" is, can this staff turn around a Nebraska team that has been up and down the last 4 years. If they can do that, the recruits will be much easier to sign. IMO

GBR!!!

You need a vote for button that said :KU will play better teams this year and will probley lose more game. Could be 3or 4 at lest.

When GBR is better doesn"t mean KU will be beetter or not. You don"t make much sense by try to keep them as one. Okay? But it"s good to have pools on this internets or web.

Okay for now.

:moreinteresting

TuffTiger

Columbia,MU.

I forsee Kansas to lose 3-4 games this year. Last year they had an easy schedule. I don't care how you put it, it was one of the easiest schedules in Division I. Yes, they beat a VA Tech team that could only play defense, offense was kind of like Nebraskas defense last year, Just not there. I do see them having a good season but their schedule is much harder this year. If they can get through it with just 1-2 losses then I tihnk Ill start to give them more credit.

As for Nebraska, i suspect about the same 3 or 4 losses though I lean more towards 3.

You need a vote for button that said :KU will play better teams this year and will probley lose more game. Could be 3or 4 at lest.

When GBR is better doesn"t mean KU will be beetter or not. You don"t make much sense by try to keep them as one. Okay? But it"s good to have pools on this internets or web.

Okay for now.

:moreinteresting

TuffTiger

Columbia,MU.

Sorry, hard to have an answer for every option. I voted Free for all, I think Nebrsksa will be back, MU will stay good (especially next year), KU will stay good (Maybe not 1 loss, but 9-3 is good) and CU will get back and contend too... I think Prince's Juco plan won't work so well and Iowa State, while I like what their program is doing, may get boxed out by circumstances..

No poll choice fits for me.

KU can definitely contend with NU. I THINK ku will win that game and have a "good", not great year.

I don't know what to expect from the huskers, a 5-7 team with some newbies and a first time HC, and nearly an entirely new staff. Maybe I'm the only one that doesn't see moving a rb to lb as a positive. I think it says a lot about the quality of the lb corps. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they get more than 7 wins in '08.

Big12-- several tiers

MU - OU

TX - KU -TT

A&M - CU - NU

THE REST

way early prediction

north- MU, KU

south- OU, TT

overall- MU

JMO...

it's way early.

GO BO!!