Will We Be Ranked at the End of the Year?

Will We Be Ranked at Any Point This Year?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not a chance.

We are going to lose at least 5 games and go to a lower tier bowl.

Sorry guys, the defense has WAY to many hole in it, and the saddest thing is Cody Glenn is going to be a starter (shows that we are not deep at possibly the most important area on defense.

The offense should be good and win a few high scoring game.

We will at least be in the top 40teams.

Wait another year or two.

Herbie, by god, you hit the nail right on the head. I made the same point about Glenn starting on defense, and look out. But I will say Bo is a great teacher and I can see the defense improving. Nebraska's offense will win some games for them with Ganz and that o-line. 7-5. Book it.

About the team of quitters bit. Last season you were 100% correct. Nobody was giving their all and once the game started to go downhill nobody had the balls to man up and finish strong.

BUT.

We have to remember that a quitter's mentality isn't necessarily just a product of personal character failings (though I'm sure that contributes to it). When you've got a scheme you don't believe in, one so complicated that it doesn't allow you the freedom to play without hesitation, a defensive coordinator that doesn't know which way the wind is blowing, no ability to adjust because the practiced scheme is all you had prepared the week prior, and you've been thrashed for the third or fourth time in a row––seriously––what else is there to do? Our issues were systemic. Tom Osborne himself said that. He believes we have reasonably good talent and should be competitive, but something, he never said what, was holding us back.

Fast forward. Bo Pelini, a proven motivator, a proven D-coordinator, fresh of a national championship defense, steps into a program where the key components which were missing were A.) motivation, B.) scheme, and C.) weight issues, to some degree.

First thing he does? Hire a new staff of fire-breathing young coaches and a strength and conditioning coach who sheds team weight like Nutrisystems. From Bo's right hand flows the Tampa 2 defense, which according to him is a defensive scheme which allows players to play without hesitation.

Bottom line, I think Nebraska has the potential to surprise the hell out of people. If our running attack is as powerful as it should be this season, our defense will have the opportunity to learn the nuances of this system and be protected from stronger teams for longer periods of in-game time. Thus I predict that Nebraska may indeed manage a top 25 ranking. Best case scenario of a 9-3 season with a respectable bowl game.

I don't think the wheels will fall off the cart this year. We'll be a competitive team again.

That is pretty much where I am at. I want to see the VaTech game, before I decide what I think. Bo is good coach and gets to the kids, hopefully that is going to happen, but if it doesn't I don't want the rath on him until he has the time to get the right mental mind set onboard.

We have all bought into the line of crap we have been fed the last 4 years, I want to see results before I swallow it this year. I catch so much crap from my SC buddies out here it is not worth being excited until there is something seen.

That is pretty much where I am at. I want to see the VaTech game, before I decide what I think. Bo is good coach and gets to the kids, hopefully that is going to happen, but if it doesn't I don't want the rath on him until he has the time to get the right mental mind set onboard.

We have all bought into the line of crap we have been fed the last 4 years, I want to see results before I swallow it this year. I catch so much crap from my SC buddies out here it is not worth being excited until there is something seen.

skersfan I have to pretty much agree with you here. I think we'll play better this season and that's all that I'm looking for. Before I start getting too wrapped up in predictions I want to see how our guys play through the first 4 games because the first 3 are lower tier teams, although we could lose those very easily, and also see how we play VT.

As long as we get better with every game, I think we should be happy. The thing to worry about is not allowing 70 points a game. (I think it was just a morale issue) If we can accomplish that then we could win lots of games. Lucky and Ganz should be on fire this year, Ill bet on that, even more so than last year, and considering we scored ALOT last year (31 against usc, 35 on Iowa state,39 against kansas, and 73 against kansas state, and finally 51 against colorado to name a few) it looks good to me. It comes down to weighing the pros and cons and I think there are more pros than cons.

The other side, of course, is "well, how damn impressive is it when you score against vanilla prevent defenses"?

I think it's not much to hang our hats on, but, there's still some worth in saying we scored. There are teams that have rolled over flat and not scored, for instance. At the very least, given the garbage time ops, we put up something on the board last year (for the most part).

Not much to say, but it's somethin'.

As for that translating to this year, I wouldn't count on it. Being on fire is something that happened in a very emotional stretch towards the end of last season. Carrying that on for a long period of time is not going to be easy. And I think we'll see more of "laying a foundation" than a team on fire for most of the season. But we'll see. My guess is we'll come out with some pizazz, then take some lumps that will put a quick damper on that. It'll be a long, tough, rollercoaster ride!

I think we'll pull out a 20 - 25 rankin at some point. I think Western Mich could be tough, but we win. We beat VT. Mizz, KU, OU, TT, and CU - we could go 4-1 or 1-4. We have the toughest North Div. games at home.

I'll say it's more likely we go 7-5, but 8-4 or 9-3 is possible. I think we get a bowl win - even if it might be the Ron Popiel Pocket Fisherman Big Mouth Bass Bowl.