ESPN has Five burning questions for the Cornhuskers

Five burning questions for the Cornhuskers

August 26, 2008 10:44 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

Bruce Thorson/US Presswire

Nobody knows how Bo Pelini will handle adversity as a head coach yet.

After an embarrassing defensive skid last season, Nebraska coach Bill Callahan was fired and replaced by Bo Pelini, a one-time Nebraska defensive coordinator who went on to greater fame and fortune as the defensive coordinator for LSU's national championship team last season.

Pelini's expertise is defense and he's got his work cut out with a unit that was blistered for more yards than any Nebraska unit in history last season. His old-school, no-nonsense approach appears to be ideal for the Cornhuskers' program heading into the season -- particularly after hiring several familiar assistants from Frank Solich's old staff to bring a sense of normalcy back to the program.

The Cornhuskers should have a punishing offensive attack that should allow them to dictate the clock and keep that defense off the field. A bruising offensive line, several potential I-backs and QB Joe Ganz gives them a nice offensive start.

But the ultimate litmus test for Nebraska this season will be how much their defense improves. It will determine how competitive they will be heading into Saturday's opener against Western Michigan.

Here are five pressing questions that will dog Pelini heading into the season.

1. Can Pelini bring some life back to the moribund defense? The Cornhuskers' defense was so bad last season that they took their Blackshirts away from the starters. Pelini still hasn't given them back. Maybe he's heard too much about producing a Big 12-low 11 turnovers last season or how they allowed 172 points in their final three games. But the unit has to improve and make more big plays or it could be a long year for the new coach.

2. Do they have enough depth at defensive tackle? After Kevin Dixon was kicked off the squad before camp began, it left Pelini scrambling for inside players. Pelini needs to light a fire under Ndamukong Suh, who badly tailed off last season. Ty Steinkuhler's back injury has been a concern. Perhaps the biggest show of panic at the position came when little brother Baker Steinkuhler was switched to defense. He was expected to be one of the Big 12's premier young offensive linemen. Oh well.

3. Who will emerge at I-back? The Cornhuskers have some of the best depth in the conference with Big 12 returning rushing leader Marlon Lucky sharing his No. 1 position with Roy Helu and Quentin Castille. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson has called Lucky his starter, but watch for Helu and Castille to also get a lot of early work.

4. Can Joe Ganz cut down on his turnovers? Ganz posted pinball-like numbers in his three starts, rolling up 1,399 yards and 15 touchdown passes. But he was also victimized by seven interceptions and can't afford to be nearly as reckless this season. Keeping the ball away from the other team will be Nebraska's most important task offensively.

5. How will Pelini handle an extended period of losing? It's all good now for Pelini, who's the nearest thing to a rock star that can be found in Nebraska. He's even bigger than "Larry the Cable Guy."

Books have already been written about Pelini before his first game. But how would these fans handle a slump or a couple of surprise losses? More importantly, how would Pelini react to it? I still remember him going after Bill Snyder following a 2003 loss against Kansas State. And that was back when he had some good defensive players. Imagine this year's defense after facing teams like Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas or Texas Tech. Bo might have an aneurism, unless he's learned a lot of patience over the last five years.

part of the reason why Ganz had 7 ints last year was that we were always playing from behind and he had to throw the the ball every down almost. He did make some questionable throws, but overall he did a fantastic job of stepping in. I look for better decisions and many touchdowns this year from Ganz.

part of the reason why Ganz had 7 ints last year was that we were always playing from behind and he had to throw the the ball every down almost.

facepalm1.jpeg

Didn't we just have this discussion in another thread? At Colorado, we were WINNING by two scores when he threw three picks.

And did you miss the part where I said he made some questionable throws too? That was the game I was mostly talking about. I really don't think he will be doing that again this year. First off, we won't be throwing near as much and secondly, he has become a smarter QB (I hope).

part of the reason why Ganz had 7 ints last year was that we were always playing from behind and he had to throw the the ball every down almost.

facepalm1.jpeg

Didn't we just have this discussion in another thread? At Colorado, we were WINNING by two scores when he threw three picks.

That picture is EXACTLY how I felt as soon as somebody brought up extenuating circumstances with Ganz's interceptions.

If we get two surprise losses in there, I doubt Pelini would lose his cool. Being a defensive coordinator who is upset because he feels the opposing coach was trying to humiliate his squad is one thing, being a head coach who blows up for losing some games is another. I think Pelini will handle it well.

facepalm1.jpeg

yeah but we were playing like we were down 2 scores

this is the 3rd quarter...9 passing attempts, 3 rushing.

Nebraska at 14:51 NEB COL

1st and 10 at NEB 11 Marlon Lucky rush for 6 yards to the Neb 17, tackled by Jeff Smart. 35 24

2nd and 4 at NEB 17 Marlon Lucky rush for 2 yards to the Neb 19, tackled by Jordon Dizon.

3rd and 2 at NEB 19 Nebraska penalty 5 yard substitution infraction accepted.

3rd and 7 at NEB 14 Nebraska penalty 5 yard delay of game accepted.

3rd and 12 at NEB 9 Joe Ganz pass intercepted by Jimmy Smith at the Neb 31, returned for 31 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 35 30

Nebraska at 10:26 NEB COL

1st and 10 at NEB 36 Joe Ganz pass intercepted by Lionel Harris at the Colo 45, returned for 32 yards to the Neb 33, tackled by Nate Swift and Marlon Lucky, Colorado penalty 10 yard holding accepted. 35 31

Nebraska at 8:10 NEB COL

1st and 10 at NEB 26 Marlon Lucky rush for no gain to the Neb 26, tackled by Jeff Smart and Brandon Nicolas. 35 38

2nd and 10 at NEB 26 Joe Ganz pass complete to Maurice Purify for 13 yards to the Neb 39 for a 1ST down, tackled by Benjamin Burney.

1st and 10 at NEB 39 Joe Ganz pass incomplete to Maurice Purify, broken up by Benjamin Burney.

2nd and 10 at NEB 39 Nebraska penalty 5 yard false start accepted.

2nd and 15 at NEB 34 Joe Ganz pass incomplete to Nate Swift.

3rd and 15 at NEB 34 Joe Ganz pass complete to Terrence Nunn for 13 yards to the Neb 47.

4th and 2 at NEB 47 Dan Titchener punt blocked for no gain, recovered by Jordon Dizon and advanced 5 yards.

Nebraska at 5:19 NEB COL

1st and 10 at NEB 32 Joe Ganz pass incomplete to Maurice Purify. 35 44

2nd and 10 at NEB 32 Joe Ganz pass complete to Marlon Lucky for 6 yards to the Neb 38, tackled by Jordon Dizon.

3rd and 4 at NEB 38 Joe Ganz pass incomplete, broken up by Brandon Nicolas.

4th and 4 at NEB 38 Dan Titchener punt for 45 yards, returned by Chase McBride for 9 yards to the Colo 16, tackled by T.J. O'Leary, Colorado penalty 10 yard illegal block accepted.

that was our 3rd quarter

We face Vatech a good defense, Kansas pretty good, Oklahoma a good defense, Missouri good against us last year, and then Texas Tech, who knows.

Last year we faced one real good defense and we rushed for 31 yards. I do not see this dominant rushing attack we seemed to have grown from no where. My guess is against the better defenses we will be throwing the ball just as much as before and Joe will have the same problems.

VaTech will be the story, there down a little on defense this year, but still very good. If we get through that game with out and offensive melt down we have a good chance, Oklahoma will shut our offense down and most likely Kansas.

But it all starts shortly, can hardly wait.

basically last year the offense had to score almost every single possession. Thats a pretty big responsibility for a QB who hadn't played much. I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes, he did. I'm saying that he has had a whole off-season to get ready for this year and I will bet he makes a lot better decisions. And kansas will not shut us down offensively, no way that will happen.

We face Vatech a good defense, Kansas pretty good, Oklahoma a good defense, Missouri good against us last year, and then Texas Tech, who knows.

Last year we faced one real good defense and we rushed for 31 yards. I do not see this dominant rushing attack we seemed to have grown from no where. My guess is against the better defenses we will be throwing the ball just as much as before and Joe will have the same problems.

VaTech will be the story, there down a little on defense this year, but still very good. If we get through that game with out and offensive melt down we have a good chance, Oklahoma will shut our offense down and most likely Kansas.

Kansas had the top defense in the Big 12, #10 in nation, and return 6-8 starters, including all 3 lbs. when did they get worse than Missouri?

I said Missouri stopped us in our tracks last year. They were not rated that high. I did not say Kansas was not better. I credited Missouri with shutting us down.

Anyone beliveing that Kansas will not slow our offense is swallowing all the Pixie dust. Baring injuries of course.

Kansas had the top defense in the Big 12, #10 in nation, and return 6-8 starters, including all 3 lbs. when did they get worse than Missouri?

How about when they lost to Missouri? No, that can't mean anything...