did anyone else notice that our 5th week opponet.......

Lucky does enough to off set Maclin, but Coffman is the man. I do not have a clue of how Coach Pelini is going to stop him. He just carries the whole team down the field if needed. He is so fun to watch. Truly amazing. And the Washington kid seemed to carry the ball well. Gonna be a tough one I am afraid, and I will have to hear it all the way back to Columbia, my son works for the University of Missouri hospital.

Unfortunately it will not be tough (in the sense that it will be difficult to beat MU) --- it will be beyond tough --- it will be a blowout. NU has no chance. Not against Missouri. Or Oklahoma. Or Texas Tech. Maybe a chance with Kansas --- but KU will be favored. Maybe a chance with Colorado. There too, CU will be favored. VT --- who knows. That one will be difficult (could go wither way). To make a bowl game NU will need to beat everyone else.

Should be fun to watch. Hers hoping for improvement and great effort and heart from the Big Red. That is all we can ask for.

they did put up 52 points themselves, but if they get in a bunch of shootouts they will not win them all. they played sloppier than we did imo.

mizzou may very well win every shootout they get in.

Mizzou played a top twenty team, that will likely make lots of teams look like hell.

The huskers played western michigan.

btw- western michigan passed for more than 300 yards on the blackshirts!! Better fix that REAL fast.

context is everything.

mizzou is for real.

GO BO!!

A lot of the Illini points came late, when they where behind and throwing whatever they could find at them. Mizzou controled this game start to finish. For a first game they where rusty, but how you think they will look come Oct?

We have our work cut out for us on D. and better get uor a$$@s in gear if we're gonna beat this team.

i was going to make that point also.....

but that goes both ways. we pretty much kicked it into cruise control also.

Wow, lots of posts really praising Mizzou, and Illinois for that matter. Both of those teams looked sloppy at times - it was the first game. Both offenses settled in and made some big plays and scored a bunch of points, and each team had 2 turnovers. Neither defense played particularly well (Mizzou gave up 532 yards on 77 plays, Illinois gave up 549 yards on 82 plays). What does this mean for how good those 2 teams are? Not much. We don't have any grasp of how good either is so a relative comparison is purely guesswork. Illinois could end up 2-10 this year, like 2006, or they could end up back in the Rose Bowl. Mizzou could also end up 8-4 like 2006, or they could be in the MNC hunt.

Until I see a clear reason to think otherwise, I'll continue to think the MU-NU game is going to be close. And no matter what, every team has a chance every Saturday in every game.

the beauty of it all...

you can continue to think nu/mu will be close.

I'll continue to hope it will be.

It's very early.

So far I have no reason to think nu can hang with mu at all.

By week five, we'll have plenty of reason to think one way or the other. :)

GO BO!!

BEAT SAN JOSE!!

blah blah blah

some of you guys are just too much. we have no chance against any good team... kind of like ksu had none against texas.... or CU vs OU, or Stanford against usc or Appalachian state vs michigan........ I could go on, but you should get the point

I dont think we will beat MU either, but come on.... enough is enough with the "we dont have a chance" bit. thats as dumb, if not dumber than judging MU after one game.

I know FIU sucks, but Illinois does not.

hush. enjoy your cupcakes while you can.

I am only pointing out that they had a real opponent in week 1, just like last year....

while nebraska hasn't played a real team yet; it's as if western michigan was a dadaist piece of impressionistic art.

the MAC isn't quite as bad as people make it out to be. give any team half a chance, they will eat your lunch. i could segue into a mangino joke with that previous statement, but honestly mangino fat jokes are second only to chuck norris lists in meme humor that have been over-played.

We will find out if Nebraska can beat teams like Illinois soon enough. As a matter of fact, week 5 was pointed out out by someone as a chance to show if there is real improvement. Not that you would have to even win, but to play really well and lose would probably be a nice step, if not a victory.

improvement should come weekly, but i'll let huskernation soak in the irony that it is being lectured on how to build a winning football program by a jayhawk fan.

rich, frothy irony at that.

Remember last year's week one posts.....

Picture them in your mind...

Now...

Insert WMU where Nevada was and Missou where USC was in the week one 2007 posts.

After the first game of 2007. Everyone thought the skers were back! Nevada was pounded. Over 400 yards rushing, Cally was the best thing since sliced bread.

Deja vu??

Can nu beat mu?? Of course. Anything is possible, every game is winnable. find a way to win.

insert every football cliche' here.

Is it likely that nu will beat mu looking at the game from this point in time?

imo- no.

your opinions will vary.

GO BO!!

BEAT SAN JOSE!!

Radio talking heads in KC area:

Offense, especially the passing game looks good. Defense let up in 2nd half, secondary really needs to improve, waaaay to many mental mistakes but good news is there are several weeks to get coached up and things are fixable before the next big test.

Sound familiar?

Except they were talking about Missouri.

Illinois was definitely over whelmed by Mizzou....you can tell they miss the RB (can't remember his name). Juice is pretty much like Michael Vick....he missed a few wide open WR's that would have kept the momentum with them...he also made a couple of nice passes.

When NU plays Mizzou, it could very well be a shootout. Both of the secondaries are not very good.

Remember last year's week one posts.....

Picture them in your mind...

Now...

Insert WMU where Nevada was and Missou where USC was in the week one 2007 posts.

After the first game of 2007. Everyone thought the skers were back! Nevada was pounded. Over 400 yards rushing, Cally was the best thing since sliced bread.

Deja vu??

Can nu beat mu?? Of course. Anything is possible, every game is winnable. find a way to win.

insert every football cliche' here.

Is it likely that nu will beat mu looking at the game from this point in time?

imo- no.

your opinions will vary.

GO BO!!

BEAT SAN JOSE!!

we arent talking about beating anyone.... just competing. and just because its cliche doesnt make it any less relevant. and just because things went bad last, doesnt mean this year they will be bad again

as I have said before it was MU first game.... it means nothing. they are better then they looked against illinois. but you also have to keep in mind last year means just as little. its a new year and new team. way to early to say that we cant compete with teams.