no pass rush

shagg

not just this game but for the last ten years we haven't had any speed rusher at the DE spot.....our players are simply too big....we need to keep our DEs at around 245-250 lbs....and no that's not too small...we need to keep them lean and athlethic....in our DREAM we would like to have a guy that's 6-5 290lbs and runs a 4.5 but let's face it, guys like that are hard to find...i rather sacrifice size to get get some of that speed on the edge

Unfortunately that is just one of the positions that need upgrades....

I am pretty sure that someone has posted this observation at least once this year but here goes:

I think that we are starting guys (on D) that might not have even been 2nd or 3rd stringers on past Husker teams...

With what we have...we are doing our best and I think that everyone is playing with heart!

Let's move past this hard loss and focus on a great KU team that's comin to town on Sat!

A lil revenge for last year's debacle is in order!!

GO BIG RED!

demorrio was listed at 6-1 205lbs. at NU and didn't bulk up until he got to the nfl...he was a nightmare on pass rush...i think in the future the coaching staff will re-evaluate the type of players ( physically) they want to have at a certain position...i think our DEs and LBs will be lighter in the future just so they could be more mobile....we already saw a number of players losing weight in BO's first year...expect leaner faster players on D in the near future

demorrio was listed at 6-1 205lbs. at NU and didn't bulk up until he got to the nfl...he was a nightmare on pass rush...i think in the future the coaching staff will re-evaluate the type of players ( physically) they want to have at a certain position...i think our DEs and LBs will be lighter in the future just so they could be more mobile....we already saw a number of players losing weight in BO's first year...expect leaner faster players on D in the near future

I agree with you.

Demorrio was also one of Solich's only 5 star recruits, which he was a JUCO 5 Star.

Ya that was the knock on Solich was that he couldn't recruit and while Cally was all about recruiting. The thing is Solich was a superior talent evaluator (recruiting speed) on the defensive side of the ball. He was on the sidelines of all those speedy NU defenses, he just couldn't recruit game changers on offense. Not that Callahan ever did anyways. Cally was off in la la la land with Cozgroves Big 10 model. As soon as I saw Cozgrove move A. Carricker over to D-End after Solich/Pelini were grooming him for D-Tackle that's all I needed to see with their philosophy. And after 4 years of that along with the WCO conversion from the Option and you have the defensive fall out that we have to day.

Pelini will need ample time to build this defense.

I believe it was Bo's idea to, every once in a while, have Demorrio line up at DE. Because of his speed he was almost impossible to block, so I see your point...but obviously someone *that* small can't do so on a regular basis.

And i just dont see anyone on d that could be that type of player right now. The argument could be made about Glenn but he is still learning things. Perhaps Compton in the future though...

Demorrio was also one of Solich's only 5 star recruits, which he was a JUCO 5 Star.

Ya that was the knock on Solich was that he couldn't recruit and while Cally was all about recruiting. The thing is Solich was a superior talent evaluator (recruiting speed) on the defensive side of the ball. He was on the sidelines of all those speedy NU defenses, he just couldn't recruit game changers on offense. Not that Callahan ever did anyways. Cally was off in la la la land with Cozgroves Big 10 model. As soon as I saw Cozgrove move A. Carricker over to D-End after Solich/Pelini were grooming him for D-Tackle that's all I needed to see with their philosophy. And after 4 years of that along with the WCO conversion from the Option and you have the defensive fall out that we have to day.

Solich did recruit better to the defensive side of the ball than Clownahan did, but Clownahan did recruit better to the offensive side of the ball. It wasn't that Solich was a great talent evaluator. He did bring in Thunder Collins. This kid had so much hype, and was supposed to be the next Johnny the Jet. David Horne ring a bell? Some talent pans out while some doesn't. Randy Stella comes to mind. Even TO had this happen. Frankie London was supposed to be the next Frazier.

I'm in the camp that believes we need much faster LB's than we need much faster DE's. Both would be nice, but I think an upgrade to the LB department is needed more right now. With the spread offenses out there and the quick 3 step drops, I don't even know if some of our best ever DE's would have gotten much pressure. We need those ultra fast LB's who can disrupt those passes especially in the middle.

First of all, give credit to OU. That O-line is bad ass. Secondly, Barry Turner is out. Third, I'm out of excuses. They're slow ends. :hmmph

OU is a really good team...would have been fun to play them in the "old" days with the talent they have now. They just totally out-played us in all aspects of the game. And it was apparent when the frustration started to show that our players knew they were not going to play with them on the same level.

I'm in the camp that believes we need much faster LB's than we need much faster DE's. Both would be nice, but I think an upgrade to the LB department is needed more right now. With the spread offenses out there and the quick 3 step drops, I don't even know if some of our best ever DE's would have gotten much pressure. We need those ultra fast LB's who can disrupt those passes especially in the middle.

I agree and hopefully we have a few waiting in the wings, redshirting this year. Turner getting hurt was a big blow, he looked to be ready to dominate this year.

Solich did recruit better to the defensive side of the ball than Clownahan did, but Clownahan did recruit better to the offensive side of the ball. It wasn't that Solich was a great talent evaluator. He did bring in Thunder Collins. This kid had so much hype, and was supposed to be the next Johnny the Jet. David Horne ring a bell? Some talent pans out while some doesn't. Randy Stella comes to mind. Even TO had this happen. Frankie London was supposed to be the next Frazier.

Ahhh Randy Stella... I know him. Hes still such a washout.