A Little Perspective For Husker Fans

Cy needs to go back to the ISU board. I think its extremely funny how fans of other teams come here to share their "knowledge" with us. "Cy, do you have Husker fans on your ISU board with 1000+ posts?" I doubt it.

Quit trying to comfort us and stop telling us how we are all a bunch of whinny little fans.

THIS IS OUR BOARD.....NOT YOURS.....WE DON'T NEED YOUR DISTORTED "PERSPECTIVE" HERE

Seriously...I drip more football knowledge down my leg after sex than you have accumulated in your entire life...

Maybe once you've been on the turf at Memorial as a player and not a member of the band or a cheerleader we can talk.... <_<

Oh boy, Happy Days are Here Again because we aren’t as bad as ISU. Man I feel so much better about this team and this program now that I’ve seen stats from the worst team in the conference and being shown that we are better then them. Oh boy compared to Michigan we are golden. Compared to Tennessee we are top notch. I guess isn’t this the whole half full half empty thing?

Also what was ISU’s record compared to NU’s last year? So should we have been happy with last year because heck we were better then ISU? Isn’t that what we are being told with this thread? Maybe that would fly if we were a program that has a history of complete nonsuccess like ISU, but we not.

Sits back and waits for the easily taken cheap shot about someone’s wife or girlfriend. I will be busy though so I may not see it because I have a bunch of back flips to do because we aren’t ISU.

Uh..in actuality, NU and ISU had identical conference records last year...just thought I would point that out to you, along with the fact that the ISU defense ranked about 40-50 points higher than the NU defense...and that was with an athletic budget that's about 80% less than what Nebraska has available to spend...

So if ISU can look like crap for 80% less than Nebraska can look like crap...maybe you should funnel some of that money over to the wrestling team? Just a suggestion if you don't like the improvement you're seeing out of the Huskers....

That almost makes sense. Like I said almost.

Maybe if the ISU AD was a little smarter and allowed single game tickets instead of forcing opposing teams to buy season tickets your budget would be better. $130,000,000 (isn't that the Pollard plan) debt with no means of paying it back is kind of stupid as well. Just wondering what is KU or Mizzou's football budget?

Once again just because we are better then the worst team in the Big 12 and the 2nd worst in the HISTORY of the conference we are supposed to be happy? Whatever dude. Also don't teams play more then the conference games so 5-7 is greater then 3-9 so I ask again should we have been happy with last year because we were better then ISU?

Most points OU has scored in conference since 2003, most points OU has ever scored against NU, But hey we are better then ISU. Let's all go run hand in hand sing happy songs and just think our lucky stars that we aren't ISU. Mental mistakes, players out of position, penalty after penalty, But that doesn't matter because hey it could be worse we could be ISU.

For the record NU beat ISU so we didn't have identical conference records because head to head tie breaker.

Like I said earlier everything changes tomorrow, everyone will be one big happy family. I will be singing a different tune and be so thankful that my favorite team isn't as bad as the worst team in the Big 12. Man that just gives me that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that we are better then the doormat known as ISU. If you'll excuse me I must go do a two footed jump with a fist pump because I am so happy that NU is better then ISU. :madash:moreinteresting

I get the being thankful for what you have crap, I really do. However if anyone is happy with the current state of the football team because we are better then ISU and gets some peace out of this junk then I'm sorry but you are crazy. :madash:moreinteresting

So unless you are happy with a freaking blow out loss that was a complete return to last year and the crappy stuff I have pointed out numerous times you are a whiny little 8 year old? Just wondering.

For the record my oldest will be 8 on Friday and she is very thankful for everything she has, cares more for other peoples feelings more then she does her own, would give up her only sandwich at a picnic if she saw someone that didn't have one and needed one. So I am REALLY REALLY thankful that my soon to be 8 year old isn't the one in your well thought out analogy. (I assume by the cheap shot at "your wife" that it is all made up)

You're right...your team totally sucks. You should jump on the bandwagon of some team that never loses because this bunch of Huskers obviously doesn't live up to your high standards and they don't deserve a great fan such as yourself....

I read your posts and all you do is complain and complain. Why doesn't this happen? Why doesn't that happen? How long do we have to put up with this? You sound like a political science major. Whining about problems but never offering solutions. You got complaints? Great! Why don't YOU coach the team? Obviously you are the great oracle of Husker football and have determined what all the problems are. Take the plunge and go fix em then Gipper! I'm sure Dr. Tom, Bo and the rest of the athletic department would be honored to have you bestow your great wealth of football knowledge upon them so they can return the Huskers to national promenince! I'm sure they are waiting for your call...best get on it.

Also for the record...my then 8-year old is now a 12 year old and he would not wait for your daughter to offer him her sandwich if he thought he needed it. He would just go over and take it from her...old skool.

Answer: Leonard Thompson from Iowa State University set the modern day record for most kick-off return yards in a game with 319….more indicative of the fact that OK-State kicked off about a dozen times rather than Thomas’ talent. Thomas later complained about being told to take a knee by a teammate after fielding yet another kick off in the 3rd quarter. Apparently he wanted to “run the yardage up” on OK-State….

:rollin Almost wet myself on that one.

Let me see this is a message board right? You post things that you are concerned about right? You ask questions about the direction of the team right? You start discussions about why things happen right? Just checking.

You know what this is Nebraska we should have high standards not just being happy because we are better then one of the worst teams in the history of college football. I for one find it sad that people have to hang their hat on that to make themselves feel better for what is going on. Hey we played hard so I’m happy. YIKES!

So then Gipper what do you suggest your wonderful Chizik do to help your crappy team get better? I love the “if you don’t like it go coach yourself” card that one always gets them. Criticism comes with the territory; it is part of being a fan. Not questioning things is scary and lame. Aren’t your attempts at humor on how bad ISU is just another way of questioning things? So if you do that then shouldn’t you have some form of a plan on how they can get better?

Also like I’m the only one on here that has concerns about what is going on, unlike some though I’m not a sheep that is going to just fall in line and except things because this is a “process”. I never once said I know more then TO or Bo, I never have I just think things are a mess and people don’t want to see that. If you don’t think this team isn’t good then go re-watch the game on Saturday and tell me otherwise. There were people running free on almost every play, linemen not blocking anyone, penalty here penalty there, our coach to busy yelling at the officials about a play that happened the series before, kids running in and out of formations because they don’t know if they should be in or not, wasting timeouts to line people up correctly. Sorry if those things don’t concern people then I can’t help them.

So if I question things that the Government does, does that mean I should go try to be President or is that acceptable?

I’m done with the complaining though from now on it is nothing but sunshine and roses from me. I will never question anything ever again; I will just fall in line like a good little sheep and blindly follow our leader Bo to the promise land. My days of bringing up gapping holes or inconsistent views by some in the Husker Nation are over. I will now start to celebrate that fact that we aren’t as bad as ISU. I will find joy when during a blow out loss the players don’t ever give up and play with fire. I will not question Bo anymore, because if I do that then I am a bad fan who thinks he knows more then the coaches. I will also never question a player’s ability because using the above logic that will mean I think I can play better then them.

Also for the record…..you should be proud of your son because he would beat up a girl for a sandwich that she would be willing to give him, even though according to YOU he didn’t deserve it in the first place because there are starving people in the world. It doesn’t matter because after today everyone will have sandwiches.

Now if you’ll excuse me I have to go find my Rose colored glasses, tune my guitar, get my camp fire going because it is nothing but peace and love from me from now on.

Cy,

You seem to be holding your own here, but I just want to say, I look forward to your posts and your break down of problems we face. You are always welcome on this site. There are many of us that have more than one team we root for. I have been a Nebraska fan for over 50 years and a Texas Tech fan for about 5 years.

Some of our newer fans make me scratch my head at times, but they love the Huskers and want them to win. Some just need to have a little patience it seems. But to each his own.

Cy,

You seem to be holding your own here, but I just want to say, I look forward to your posts and your break down of problems we face. You are always welcome on this site. There are many of us that have more than one team we root for. I have been a Nebraska fan for over 50 years and a Texas Tech fan for about 5 years.

Some of our newer fans make me scratch my head at times, but they love the Huskers and want them to win. Some just need to have a little patience it seems. But to each his own.

I hope I’m not being pigeonholed with people not wanting this guy around. I enjoy the discussions even if I don’t agree with anything he says. Everyone has a voice just like me.

Just wondering though, am I correct in assuming I’m one of the ones that need to learn patience? Because as old as I feel I wouldn’t think I was a newer fan. <_<

For the record I have patience I just don’t like the inconsistent way that fans are treating this year with the first year of the last coach. That is all I’m trying to do, that and make sure people aren’t happy with just being better then ISU.

But like I said those days are over nothing but rainbows and puppies from now on. :thumbs

I think we all need to learn patience. We need to give this staff a chance. To learn, to grow and to recruit who they want and have the time to use those kids.

I agree with TO. There was something missing last year, and I still feel there is this year. But I do not think it is coaching.

I listened to the Herd this morining and Coach Petrino of Louisville was talking about todays athlete. He says they have been ruined for coaching by the time they are in the eight grade. He says that now they think of coaching as critiziing, disresecting them. He says you have to adapt your coaching to that. Pretty good coach making some very different comments. And that made we wonder if Coach Pelini's attitude is being accepted fully. He is firey and accepts no questions. Not an attack, just something that crossed my mind

I know it is different today than it was when Coach Osborne walked the practice field. But I wonder if any of us really know how different it is.

Cy,

I hope I’m not being pigeonholed with people not wanting this guy around. I enjoy the discussions even if I don’t agree with anything he says. Everyone has a voice just like me.

Just wondering though, am I correct in assuming I’m one of the ones that need to learn patience? Because as old as I feel I wouldn’t think I was a newer fan. <_<

For the record I have patience I just don’t like the inconsistent way that fans are treating this year with the first year of the last coach. That is all I’m trying to do, that and make sure people aren’t happy with just being better then ISU.

But like I said those days are over nothing but rainbows and puppies from now on. :thumbs

Don't try it. It'll give you migranes! ;)

Hope Springs Eternal...if you concentrate on the bad, you'll never see the good. Me...I see guys playing with enthusiasm, who act fired up...didn't see that last year. I see a defense that is at least giving 100% when they're on the field, even if they don't always get the results they are looking for. I'm seeing penalties and mental mistakes but I'm thinking a lot of those are youthful exhuberence...trying to be the first to fire off the ball, trying to get that monster hit. Sure...there are mistakes being made (sometimes the same mistakes...over and over), you should expect that with a young team, if you didn't, you were kidding yourself.

The important thing is attitude. That had to be changed before anything else and I think that process has begun. I see a lot more desire and fire on the field and the sidelines. The results will come

Now, with that hopefully being clearly understood, Cy will now return to the Cyclone boards as requested where, though while the fans are certainly less knowledgable, they don't bother to insult my boy or the way he's been raised.

Good luck with the rest of your year...we'll try to bring MU back to you...but don't hold your breath. We are, after all, "one of the worst teams in the history of college football".

I think we all need to learn patience. We need to give this staff a chance. To learn, to grow and to recruit who they want and have the time to use those kids.

I agree with TO. There was something missing last year, and I still feel there is this year. But I do not think it is coaching.

I listened to the Herd this morining and Coach Petrino of Louisville was talking about todays athlete. He says they have been ruined for coaching by the time they are in the eight grade. He says that now they think of coaching as critiziing, disresecting them. He says you have to adapt your coaching to that. Pretty good coach making some very different comments. And that made we wonder if Coach Pelini's attitude is being accepted fully. He is firey and accepts no questions. Not an attack, just something that crossed my mind

I know it is different today than it was when Coach Osborne walked the practice field. But I wonder if any of us really know how different it is.

Hey skers, do you still have any affiliation with the armed forces? If you do, are they seeing the same kinds of things with 18 year olds coming in with little to no respect for anything or anyone? We as a country seemed to start down a slippery slope a decade or so ago. I still remember going to school with a shotgun or rifle in my pickup as we hunted to and from school. Now even in hickville Nebraska you don't dare take any kind of weapon on school grounds.

I'm of the opinion that these troubling economic times in the end could benefit us all. Things don't always come easily automatically. Maybe it's about time as a country where we all tighten our belts a little and work together. It's not just kids these days that don't respect anything or anyone. It's all of us. We've grown accustomed to a throw away world.

No, I am long retired and far away from it. But HuskerRob and huskernumerouno are both on active duty. They could answer that question better I thinkl

The world is changing, and people have less respect for others. I honestly can see it on these boards, all though this is one of the better ones.

Hey skers, do you still have any affiliation with the armed forces? If you do, are they seeing the same kinds of things with 18 year olds coming in with little to no respect for anything or anyone? We as a country seemed to start down a slippery slope a decade or so ago. I still remember going to school with a shotgun or rifle in my pickup as we hunted to and from school. Now even in hickville Nebraska you don't dare take any kind of weapon on school grounds.

I'm of the opinion that these troubling economic times in the end could benefit us all. Things don't always come easily automatically. Maybe it's about time as a country where we all tighten our belts a little and work together. It's not just kids these days that don't respect anything or anyone. It's all of us. We've grown accustomed to a throw away world.

Figured I'd give you my view on that. I first came in '95, got out in '02, and started back up this year to go to flight school. I don't see any difference between the caliber or attitudes of soldiers now than in '95. Kids are just that, kids. All, including myself, felt invincible, but quickly learned that we weren't. It's up to the NCO's and officers to train our recruits, just like it's up to the coaches to train as well. Soldiers that lose that childish attitude quickly learn what's needed to become leaders themselves, and usually do become just that. They get promoted faster and get all the high-speed schools that they want, while those that are satisfied going against the grain eventually get peered out. Players are no different.

Unfortunately there are always those who slip throught the cracks, but to answer your question, I don't see too much of a difference. While social norms change as the years go by, you still have the underlying "kid" that will never change, no matter what the year is.

Hope that made some kind of sense?

Now, with that hopefully being clearly understood, Cy will now return to the Cyclone boards as requested where, though while the fans are certainly less knowledgable, they don't bother to insult my boy or the way he's been raised.

Good luck with the rest of your year...we'll try to bring MU back to you...but don't hold your breath. We are, after all, "one of the worst teams in the history of college football".

Oh man. Woe is me, someone on the Internet doesn't like me or my parenting skills. If you're happy your boy would steal someone else's sandwich and have no problem with it, then great. There shouldn't be a problem with what some other person - who you don't even know, never met in person, probably never going to meet in person - has to say about how you raised your kid.

Quit trying to get everyone's attention by having some dramatic "exit" and waiting for people to say, "No Cy, my life will never be the same if you leave the Huskerboard. I don't know what I will do with myself." If you no longer wish to post here, then don't. Simple as that. I don't know about anyone else, but I for one will not care whether you post or don't post here again.

Now, the reason I posted this was because I do not want the discussion on Husker football to cease. I like the questions being raised, because many of them are valid.

I do agree that we need to be patient (as one of the better posters here has said NUMEROUS times), but we also need to continue questioning the program. That's what makes being a fan great. That's what fans of any sport do.

That's what Americans do. That's why this country is so great :: cue "God Bless America" music while an American flag backdrop is lowered behind me :: and that's why so many have given their lives to protect this country. Freedom of speech, freedom of thought, freedom to make our voices heard, freedom to worship who/what we want, freedom to raise a family the way we see fit, freedom of choice, freedom to live how we please as long as it isn't harming another individual. Ahhh...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That, in a nutshell is America.

::music stops and flag is raised:: So, what's wrong with questioning a program you are a fan of. I say, nothing! This fits in perfectly with the American way.

Yes, it will take some patience while the coaches figure some things out and to get this team up to Nebraska standards. There have been many questions asked already and more are to come. However, be reassured that the coaches have figured some things out already.

How do we know this will eventually happen? Take a look at the offense at the beginning of the year. In the beginning there were more power sets being used because the coaches felt the offensive line was the strength of the offense. However, during the Missouri game they changed things up a bit and went to a more spread look. Now, the offense appears to be working a ton better.

So, have faith, Hussssker fans, and don't be afraid to keep those questions/comments rolling.

Go Big Red!