Safety play

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10480623

"Those fans aren't always real educated on what's going on on the field," Pelini said. "To put it on the safeties is crazy. A lot of times you've got to be careful with making that judgment."

Interesting to say the least. <_<

I agree though that some of the blame thrown at the Safeties isn’t all their fault. Some of it is though. For the record I’m just as guilty as others are on getting on O’Hanlon for his play.

That's a nice sentiment, but when we see receivers routinely busting into the secondary and the safeties are off getting gatorade on the sidelines, it doesn't take a lot of education to go, 'Yeah, looks like he should have been covering him.'

I think Pelini's subtler point is that the whole defense is the problem. When you can't get a pass rush, your safeties can't perform as well. When your linebackers can't blitz effectively, same story. No, it's not all on the safeties, but time and again I see average receivers singing "Wide Open Spaces" while they trot to the end zone.

And these comments are exactly what he is talking about. You can't see the whole field when you are watching a game that you can't pause and rewind to see who at fault, and you need to get over yourself if you acctually think that you know more than Bo, and yes he is sticking up for his team what coach wouldn't?

Actually with HD DVR i can see 3/4 of the field and i routinely pause and rewind to see guys blowing coverage. However an improved line would make our Safeties look much better.

That's a nice sentiment, but when we see receivers routinely busting into the secondary and the safeties are off getting gatorade on the sidelines, it doesn't take a lot of education to go, 'Yeah, looks like he should have been covering him.'

I think Pelini's subtler point is that the whole defense is the problem. When you can't get a pass rush, your safeties can't perform as well. When your linebackers can't blitz effectively, same story. No, it's not all on the safeties, but time and again I see average receivers singing "Wide Open Spaces" while they trot to the end zone.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Can't really deny that safety play has been suspect this year.

And these comments are exactly what he is talking about. You can't see the whole field when you are watching a game that you can't pause and rewind to see who at fault, and you need to get over yourself if you acctually think that you know more than Bo, and yes he is sticking up for his team what coach wouldn't?

Actually with HD DVR i can see 3/4 of the field and i routinely pause and rewind to see guys blowing coverage. However an improved line would make our Safeties look much better.

Wow well I guess we better fire Carl and hire you as the deffensive coordinator then.

I think that if Asante and O'Hanlon were forcing turnovers it would be a lot easier for us fans to not bash them so much. But there not getting picks there not forcing fumbles, therefore the only time we talk about them is bashing them. Unlike the Baylor game when Asante played pretty well. I would love to see Asante run with the ball after a pick, I think he would be a threat to take it to the house...to bad he has dropped a couple of pik 6's in the past two years.... :bang:bang:bang

This was being discussed on the tailgate show on 1620 this morning. John Bishop and Damon Benning were questioning the play of O'Hanlon and Asante. Benning did point out that O'Hanlon did spend most of the second half against Oklahoma on the sidelines while Thenarse got reps. Benning also said that he has to have faith in Coach Sanders putting the right people on the field.

Wow well I guess we better fire Carl and hire you as the deffensive coordinator then.

I am not saying that at all. But what I am saying is I know a blown coverage when i see one. We will obviously get better, it is just going to take a few years to get where we want to get to.