Bo Pelini will have an awesome 2nd season

Aim9

What about Kody Spano is he not a contender for the QB position? Just wondering because no one ever really mentions him.

i wonder that same thing a lot... i think people are just assuming that the only person that could step in and take the job away from one of the two guys who have actually played at least a snap would be a stud true freshman.. which is a major assumption that he'll be good.. high school is a huge difference from college obviously... but im sure spano will get his chance... i know i've said that i kinda felt that the coaches are planning on spano/green next year due to lack of playing time, but i do not know obviously.

I have a question. This is not meant as a slight, just an honest unbiased question.

I think our next season all pends on the play of our new quarterback. With good quarterback play we could end up being a 1-2 loss team. With so-so quarterback play we could end up being a 3-4 loss team.

Why is it that NE with a new unproven QB will at worse will lose 3-4 games. But this whole thread is built upon what other teams are losing thus allowing NE to do well. This includes mentioning that K-State, Oklahoma, MU and TT will all lose their best players, allowing NE to earn wins. IF by your reasoning NU can not only compete, but flurish why cant MU, Oklahoma & TT? I would argue that those 3 teams, even with the loss of current players still have more offensive talent than Nebraska. Including a number of young players that all ready see lots of PT. Unlike Nebraska who is banking on 'potential'.

I understand this is a nebraska board, but I also enjoy the football talk. I look at all teams with an unbiased approach. I know my team is losing alot of players at the end of the season. I also know that they have a ton of young talent that has gotten alot of time this year. What I dont know is how it will gel and work next year. But I will tell you this. MU clearly had more talent than NE this year. I dont expect that to change in one year. I also know that OU is head and shoulders above MU right now, that wont change in one year either. You all should know that OU is a world above you, and unrealistic expictations only lead to disappointment.

I WANT NU to do well, I really do. (as long as you finish second to MU ;) ) But lets not jump the gun. You are right were I thought you would be this year ( I said 7-5, 8-4 if you beat VT or KU). Good enough to beat teams you should ( you haven't gotten bit in the a** by a lowly team this year) but not able to really beat the top teams. I guess what I'm saying is you may very well make the 'jump', but you my finish 3rd or 4th in the north. WHO KNOWS AT THIS POINT.

Any way :rant

The original poster did put a lot of faith in what other teams are losing, and if you read the majority of the responses everyone is thinking along the same path you are. Good teams don't rebuild, they reload. Fans of NU more than anyone should know this. OU and TT are not going away just because QB's go pro. MU has a lot of young talent, IMO next year will tell us just how good of a job Pinkle has really done more than anything he has done up to this point. The exception to this is KSU, if Freeman does go pro and the way recruiting went for them I would agree that they drop down. I think people writing NU off as a not much better than this year are mistaken though. NU will be better, obviously the QB will determine how far they will go. The D-Line should be down right nasty next year. The LB's will be MUCH faster and talented, though young. The DB's can only get better, again we will have more talent and less Walk On's contributing. O-Line will be good again, 3 returning starters plus Ricky Henry makes for a good start. They also play 8-10 guys a game so there is a lot of experience there. Receivers will be as good, and maybe better. RB will be good as Roy Helu should be the man. Overall NU will be better and should start getting some wins over ranked teams. QB play will determine just how many wins as teams load up to stop what should be a good running game and dare NU to beat them in the air.

I have a question. This is not meant as a slight, just an honest unbiased question.

I think our next season all pends on the play of our new quarterback. With good quarterback play we could end up being a 1-2 loss team. With so-so quarterback play we could end up being a 3-4 loss team.

Why is it that NE with a new unproven QB will at worse will lose 3-4 games. But this whole thread is built upon what other teams are losing thus allowing NE to do well. This includes mentioning that K-State, Oklahoma, MU and TT will all lose their best players, allowing NE to earn wins. IF by your reasoning NU can not only compete, but flurish why cant MU, Oklahoma & TT? I would argue that those 3 teams, even with the loss of current players still have more offensive talent than Nebraska. Including a number of young players that all ready see lots of PT. Unlike Nebraska who is banking on 'potential'.

I understand this is a nebraska board, but I also enjoy the football talk. I look at all teams with an unbiased approach. I know my team is losing alot of players at the end of the season. I also know that they have a ton of young talent that has gotten alot of time this year. What I dont know is how it will gel and work next year. But I will tell you this. MU clearly had more talent than NE this year. I dont expect that to change in one year. I also know that OU is head and shoulders above MU right now, that wont change in one year either. You all should know that OU is a world above you, and unrealistic expictations only lead to disappointment.

I WANT NU to do well, I really do. (as long as you finish second to MU ;) ) But lets not jump the gun. You are right were I thought you would be this year ( I said 7-5, 8-4 if you beat VT or KU). Good enough to beat teams you should ( you haven't gotten bit in the a** by a lowly team this year) but not able to really beat the top teams. I guess what I'm saying is you may very well make the 'jump', but you my finish 3rd or 4th in the north. WHO KNOWS AT THIS POINT.

What I'm saying is that the other Big XII teams that are NU's main competition lose a lot more than Nebraska does. Joe Ganz is good, not great. Losing Swift and Peterson hurts a bit but not much. It's not like at Oklahoma where they stand to lose their entire offensive line, pro quarterback and pro running back. Basically, while Nebraska loses a decent quarterback but not much else the other teams are losing all of their top-flight stars. Keep in mind that Nebraska was one two-point conversion away from beating undefeated Texas Tech at home. It's not like we're a TERRIBLE team this year and we lose much less personnel than our other bigtime opponents next year... with the exception of VT. I really don't want to play VT next year.

not good enough to beat them, but we did take the #2 team in the nation into overtime at their place... i agree with your assesment completely, but just sayin ;)

I really, really like the way our schedule is looking next season. With probable wins coming up against KSU and CU and a bowl game against what will likely be the #4 team in the Big 10 or Pac 10 conference, (which are SO WEAK) I really like our chances of winning out. That leaves us with a 9-4 record, a top 25 ranking, and some momentum heading into next season.

I think in personnel we either hold steady or gain strength at all positions except for right guard (Slauson) and quarterback. Our WRs will be slightly less consistent but much more explosive next year. The absolutely critical link and biggest question mark on our team will be at quarterback. I like the talent that we have between Witt, Lee, and Green, but whether that converts to success on the field is yet to be seen. The following predictions are based on the next QB playing at roughly Ganz's level.

Here's my early breakdown of 2009:

W- 09/05 Fla. Atlantic @ Lincoln - Obviously you would expect a win here

W- 09/12 Arkansas State @ Lincoln - Another easy win

?- 09/19 Virginia Tech @ Blacksburg - This will be a VERY tough road game. Taylor will have more experience next year and the VT defense will be better as well. Possibly our toughest regular season game of the year.

W- 09/26 La.-Lafayette @ Lincoln - Another easy win

W- 10/03 Missouri @ Columbia - With Daniel, Coffman, Macklin and almost all of their offensive playmakers going pro and Barnett possibly leaving I like our chances

W- 10/17 Texas Tech @ Lincoln - We lost in a heart-breaker this year, but next year we play them in Lincoln and they will lose the backbone of their team in Harrell and Crabtree

W- 10/24 Iowa State @ Lincoln - Iowa State has little to look forward to next year

?- 10/31 Baylor @ Waco - Robert Griffin returns and we play Baylor at home. Baylor will not be a team that anyone wants to play next year. However, if Griffin is injured in the interim, we win this game easy.

W- 11/07 Oklahoma @ Lincoln - Another Big XII team ripe for the NFL draft picking. If, as expected, Sam Bradford, Demarco Murray, and the entire offensive line go pro I like our chances. Yes we got blown out this year, but if you take away that nightmare of a first quarter we would have played Oklahoma right down to the wire. I also like playing them in Lincoln

W- 11/14 Kansas @ Lawrence - Kansas will have another tough year next year with a difficult schedule and without Reesing. This reinforces what I've thought all along: that 2007 was an aberration of success for Kansas, not an establishment of a new power in the Big XII North.

W- 11/21 Kansas State @ Lincoln - Kansas State will be TERRIBLE next year. With Freeman likely going pro, a new coach, and awful talent, the Skers will roll.

W- 11/27 Colorado @ Boulder - Colorado will actually be a tough game next year, but lacking solid play from the quarterback position Nebraska takes the win.

Big XII championship game?

BCS title game?

Perhaps I'm drinking a bit too much kool-aid here, but I love the way next year stacks up for us in the Big XII. The NFL draft is our best friend, come from above to pillage the talent of our toughest Big XII foes.

Thoughts?

I really like your optimism here, but I think it's going to be a little tougher than we think. I agree that we have a couple of home games that we "should" win, but other than that, we really can't tell. VT is going to be a really tough win to get in Blacksburg. TT will (and always has it seems) to plug in players and keep rolling. If Leach decides to chase riches and leave for another program, and they rebuild, that's a different story. OU is still OU, no matter who stays or leaves. And as for the rest of the Big 12, I think they could all show improvement, with the exception of K St. And don't forget, even with Ganz returning and Peterson, Swift, and Lucky, we didn't start to click as an offense untill our sixth game(TT). I personally think if we were playing like we are now, we could easily be sitting at 8-2. That's why I think getting a bowl game and getting those extra 15 ? practices is so important. It would help our young guys immensely.

For several years, Nebraska hasn't really had much luck just "plugging" in a new QB. This all started back a decade ago. Crouch and Newcombe didn't just come in and replace Frost. We lost what 4 games. Lord didn't juct come in and replace Crouch. We lost what 7 games. Dailey didn't just come in and replace Lord. Well, you get the picture. I think we're going to struggle next year primarily because the QB will have no experience. Frazier, Berringer, and to some extent Frost spoiled us. Even in 96', Frost had some bumps along the way replacing Frazier and Berringer. We're going to lose a/some games next year.

JMO

EASY SCHEDULE!! FIVE creampuffs - almost instant bowl eligibility!

Here's my early breakdown of 2009:

W- 09/05 Fla. Atlantic @ Lincoln - creampuff- easy win

W- 09/12 Arkansas State @ Lincoln - creampuff- easy win

L- 09/19 Virginia Tech @ Blacksburg - This will be a VERY tough road game. LOSS

W- 09/26 La.-Lafayette @ Lincoln - creampuff- easy win

L- 10/03 Missouri @ Columbia - Mizzou is ahead in their development

L- 10/17 Texas Tech @ Lincoln - They just plug in new players and win.

W- 10/24 Iowa State @ Lincoln - creampuff- easy win

W- 10/31 Baylor @ Waco - Robert Griffin returns and we play Baylor at home. One man team.

L- 11/07 Oklahoma @ Lincoln - It's OU.

L- 11/14 Kansas @ Lawrence - Reesing may not leave. KU slight edge - Tough at home.

W- 11/21 Kansas State @ Lincoln - Kansas State will be TERRIBLE next year. creampuff- easy win

W - 11/27 Colorado @ Boulder - Colorado MAY be a tough game next year, but lacking solid play from the quarterback position Nebraska takes the win.

Losing the ganzinator, Peterson and Swift will hurt, especially ganz.

7-5

Big XII championship game? Maybe.

BCS title game? No.

BEAT KSU!!

For several years, Nebraska hasn't really had much luck just "plugging" in a new QB. This all started back a decade ago. Crouch and Newcombe didn't just come in and replace Frost. We lost what 4 games. Lord didn't juct come in and replace Crouch. We lost what 7 games. Dailey didn't just come in and replace Lord. Well, you get the picture. I think we're going to struggle next year primarily because the QB will have no experience. Frazier, Berringer, and to some extent Frost spoiled us. Even in 96', Frost had some bumps along the way replacing Frazier and Berringer. We're going to lose a/some games next year.

ganz and taylor both stepped in with no experience and were fine.

I hope we finish better than 7-5 next year............

I agree with you, but we all need to remember to not get unrealistic expectations again because that just brings down the whole damn fanbase when all of us get like that. I don't think we have to worry about this with Bo as our coach though because he wants and expects the best. He wants those Big XII titles and NC trophies because it makes his job that much easier as far as recruiting goes.

I agree with you, but we all need to remember to not get unrealistic expectations again because that just brings down the whole damn fanbase when all of us get like that. I don't think we have to worry about this with Bo as our coach though because he wants and expects the best. He wants those Big XII titles and NC trophies because it makes his job that much easier as far as recruiting goes.

I agree BRI. the prospect of us possibly winning out and going 9-3 both excites me and scares me. I hope people dont get unrealistic expectations

I agree BRI. the prospect of us possibly winning out and going 9-3 both excites me and scares me. I hope people dont get unrealistic expectations

Well, going 9-3 is kind of impossible because we already have 4 losses. I stand by that my assertion of a husker team with anywhere from 1-4 losses contingent upon quarterback play next year is quite reasonable.

As a side note, I grow weary of predicting 4 and 5 loss seasons, which I (and a lot of other people) have been doing for 6 years now. There is nothing wrong with getting excited for next year and I think I have sufficiently tempered my enthusiasm. I think Nebraska will be back next year. Not national championship back, but back to the point where we will be in the top 25 every week. Next year we gain relevance again.

I think we're in good shape next year, depending on what your expectations are. While the QB question is an issue, we have a stable of capable QBs and I figure that will be well sorted out by the 2nd or 3rd game. Don't count out Spano.

The other skill positions will be much more mature than this year, so there will be less pressure to have a QB firing on all cylinders in the first couple of games.

That said, a seasoned QB could give us at least a shot at the MNC next year if the remainder of the team improves at its current pace. I do not look for us to be in the MNC hunt due to an inexperienced QB.

But I do look for us to win the north and very possibly offer a highly competitive Conference Championship game.

Maybe not a BCS bowl next year, but knocking at the door.

Well, going 9-3 is kind of impossible because we already have 4 losses. I stand by that my assertion of a husker team with anywhere from 1-4 losses contingent upon quarterback play next year is quite reasonable.

As a side note, I grow weary of predicting 4 and 5 loss seasons, which I (and a lot of other people) have been doing for 6 years now. There is nothing wrong with getting excited for next year and I think I have sufficiently tempered my enthusiasm. I think Nebraska will be back next year. Not national championship back, but back to the point where we will be in the top 25 every week. Next year we gain relevance again.

thanks... I meant 4. the 9 win part is what I am concerned with. i think some fans will look at that and think the next logical step is a big 12 title... I dont think we are going to be at that point by next year

thanks... I meant 4. the 9 win part is what I am concerned with. i think some fans will look at that and think the next logical step is a big 12 title... I dont think we are going to be at that point by next year

Just curious as to what you predicted this year? I saw a whole lot of 7-5 predictions on this board, also quite a few at 6-6. 8-4, and maybe 9-4, is a real possibility. Could you saw Bo overachieved by going 9-4 this year? He did after all take over a team with one of the worst defenses in the country the previous year. Would that mean that he underachieves next year by going 7-5? Should we expect a drop down to 5-7 like we did last year? I don't think it is unfair to think this team could at least win 8-9 games in the regular season next year. The level of talent is not taking a dive down, in fact it should be better overall. Look how many players Bo has redshirting, the team may be a bit younger but definately more talented. You will not see 5-6 walkons contributing like this year. The D-Fence WILL be much improved next year, of that I have NO doubt.