SIGNED: CB Dejon Gomes

Ohio Pete

Hopefully this game will make him work harder.

<_<

Mustangs bowl over Rams

By Mark Godi

Record Correspondent

December 07, 2008 6:00 AM

SAN FRANCISCO - Garrett Andrews silenced the trash talking Saturday.

Andrews accounted for four of Delta College's five touchdowns as the Mustangs upset City College of San Francisco, 36-14, in the Hawaiian Punch Bowl. Delta entered the game ranked No. 14 in the state and the Rams No. 7.

Andrews, a 6-foot-3 wideout from West, led the Valley Conference with 959 yard receiving and went one-on-one much of the day with All-Northern California Conference cornerback Dejon Gomes.

"He told me the whole day how he thought I was weak," Andrews said of Gomes' jarring. "I let my ability do the talking."

Andrews torched the defending national and state champions for 138 yards and three touchdowns on six catches. His final score came on a fumble recovery in the end zone.

Delta (8-3) led 10-0 heading into the second quarter after a 13-yard touchdown pass to Zuri Nance and a 28-yard field goal by Jacob McCormack. Andrews did all of the Mustangs scoring the rest of the way, save for two extra points by McCormack.

Andrews put Delta up 16-0 when a flag flew just after a snap to Sana Sausau. Gomes paused, thinking the play was dead, and Andrews ran under a 23-yard touchdown pass all alone. The call was offside on the defense, so the touchdown stood.

Pete Murdaca later froze Gomes on a pump fake for a 37-yard score. His final touchdown pass was a 44-yarder down the sideline to Andrews. Murdaca completed 16 of 26 passes for 196 yards and three touchdowns in his first game after tearing his medial collateral ligament roughly a month ago.

<_<

Mustangs bowl over Rams

By Mark Godi

Record Correspondent

Andrews accounted for four of Delta College's five touchdowns as the Mustangs upset City College of San Francisco, 36-14, in the Hawaiian Punch Bowl. Delta entered the game ranked No. 14 in the state and the Rams No. 7.

Andrews, a 6-foot-3 wideout from West, led the Valley Conference with 959 yard receiving and went one-on-one much of the day with All-Northern California Conference cornerback Dejon Gomes.

"He told me the whole day how he thought I was weak," Andrews said of Gomes' jarring. "I let my ability do the talking."

Andrews torched the defending national and state champions for 138 yards and three touchdowns on six catches. His final score came on a fumble recovery in the end zone.

Delta (8-3) led 10-0 heading into the second quarter after a 13-yard touchdown pass to Zuri Nance and a 28-yard field goal by Jacob McCormack. Andrews did all of the Mustangs scoring the rest of the way, save for two extra points by McCormack.

Andrews put Delta up 16-0 when a flag flew just after a snap to Sana Sausau. Gomes paused, thinking the play was dead, and Andrews ran under a 23-yard touchdown pass all alone. The call was offside on the defense, so the touchdown stood.

Pete Murdaca later froze Gomes on a pump fake for a 37-yard score. His final touchdown pass was a 44-yarder down the sideline to Andrews. Murdaca completed 16 of 26 passes for 196 yards and three touchdowns in his first game after tearing his medial collateral ligament roughly a month ago.

eek! i don't like those stats. he gave up 138 rec. yards and 3 td rec. to this kid on SIX catches? great, just what we need another guy in the secondary who gives up huge plays :(

... i am being slightly facetious but.. that article's not entirely encouraging ;)

<_<

Mustangs bowl over Rams

By Mark Godi

Record Correspondent

eek! i don't like those stats. he gave up 138 rec. yards and 3 td rec. to this kid on SIX catches? great, just what we need another guy in the secondary who gives up huge plays :(

... i am being slightly facetious but.. that article's not entirely encouraging ;)

one game....

Mo Purify more then had his way with A. Talib last year catching 3 TDs on that First Rounder. Talib was a risk taker/gambler. Maybe this kid is cut from the same cloth?? Hopefully he has a very similar career like Talib had.

Don't mean to go there, but if Purify would've worked a lot harder on his game and not just relied on his natural talent and stayed out of trouble-what could've been for the young man.

Hopfully Pelini will have this instilled in the entire squad come spring ball: work, work, and work some more, and competition after competition, no rep is safe.