5 BCS Championship Duds

Fox Sports

Can't say as I disagree. NU never should have been in that game against Miami.

Eric Crouch, 2002, Nebraska

Already controversy was rearing its ugly head before the teams took the field. Nebraska had been spanked by Colorado 62-36, but still managed to limp into the national championship game to play undefeated Miami. Heisman winner Eric Crouch, who beat out Florida's Rex Grossman by a mere 62 points, won his trophy after a record-high one-third of the voters didn't turn in their ballots. Crouch rushed for 144 yards, but went 5-for-15 passing, with one interception and one fumble, as Nebraska lost 37-14. The voters must have known something.

Honestly, I think that if Crouch would have realized that he wouldn't be an NFL QB and would have actually played WR like he was drafted to, he could have been a solid contributor on an NFL team. He was a fantastic athlete, but he was never much of a pure QB.

I hate it, but I have to agree. Nebraska shouldn't have been in that game. On a side note, Eric Crouch was very deserving of that Heisman. Everybody has been saying that Rex Grossman should have snagged it because made it to the NFL. I say bull s. I hate the combination of "Good Heisman winners make it in the NFL". Eric Crouch was the Nebraska team and we all know it, thanks to Solich's style of offense. Without Crouch, we wouldn't have won as many games as we did.

I agree with the sentiment here. Crouch put that team on his back all season long. Against an overwhelming defense, it wasn't nearly enough. I've never pinned that loss on Crouch, nor do I think he was an undeserving Heisman winner.

His choices in the NFL were disappointing.

As far as Nebraska not belonging, there really wasn't a worthy #2. 2-loss Colorado wasn't it. Oregon was pretty good but they'd have gotten bitch-slapped like we did.

Crouch deserved the Heisman, but they did not really need to be in the Championship game....as much as it hurts to say it. But I do agree with VAHusker, there really was not a valid #2.

Not that I disagree but to be fair would it really have mattered who played Miami in the NC game that year? We did the rest of the NCAA a favor by taking a beating Miami would have easily gave to anyone in that game.