Can Huskers run the Florida Spread Option Offense?

rkhufu7

I don't think THIS team could run it for Nebraska. Florida has a TON of talent at the skill positions and an amazing line. Also its hard to find a quarterback to fit it as well as Tebow does.

I think if we got the right recruits then sure we could run it, but florida just gets a lot more talent then us and the right personel, so we could never run it as well as them. I do hope we get some kind of version of the spread fit into to our playbook though.

Could this team do it? No. Could Nebraska do it eventually? Yes.

Florida obviously has way more talent than we do, and they have a bruiser for a quarterback. They run that style of offense because of how Tebow is. If you look at their previous championship (before 2009), they were a bit more of a spread pass attack and less option running. Tebow packs quite a punch and they revamped the offense to fit him.

Florida obviously has way more talent than we do , and they have a bruiser for a quarterback. They run that style of offense because of how Tebow is. If you look at their previous championship (before 2009), they were a bit more of a spread pass attack and less option running. Tebow packs quite a punch and they revamped the offense to fit him.

Cody Green and Spano ran option and zone reads in HS. The Harvin's and Demps are not NFL RBs or WRs, they are tweeners. Florida runs a veer offense from the gun. They have 2 tall outside WRs and a TE which are the main receiving threats. They have to very fast HBs or slot WRs, which they play one in the slot and the other in the backfield. They sub one back with a traditional FB for more blocking or put both in the slots and run an empty set. They run inside zone, traps, counter sweeps and isos and even powers along with the options and shuffle passes to TEs, basic WR bubble and tunnel screens, PAs and boots off zone read and other base plays and basic spread 3 and 5 step pass plays. The offense is VERY simple and you could run it. Make Castille the main back, put Helu or Gilleyen/Paul in other slot and the tall WR like Holt out wide, with a TE and with Lee, Spano or Green you can run this offense!

Florida obviously has way more talent than we do , and they have a bruiser for a quarterback. They run that style of offense because of how Tebow is. If you look at their previous championship (before 2009), they were a bit more of a spread pass attack and less option running. Tebow packs quite a punch and they revamped the offense to fit him.

Cody Green and Spano ran option and zone reads in HS. The Harvin's and Demps are not NFL RBs or WRs, they are tweeners. Florida runs a veer offense from the gun. They have 2 tall outside WRs and a TE which are the main receiving threats. They have to very fast HBs or slot WRs, which they play one in the slot and the other in the backfield. They sub one back with a traditional FB for more blocking or put both in the slots and run an empty set. They run inside zone, traps, counter sweeps and isos and even powers along with the options and shuffle passes to TEs, basic WR bubble and tunnel screens, PAs and boots off zone read and other base plays and basic spread 3 and 5 step pass plays. The offense is VERY simple and you could run it. Make Castille the main back, put Helu or Gilleyen/Paul in other slot and the tall WR like Holt out wide, with a TE and with Lee, Spano or Green you can run this offense!

I see your point but you didn't once answer or bring up one of the biggest parts to all of this..the O-line. You need an extremely powerful o-line to run any sort of offense, especially the one Florida runs.

im so sick of this. watch again how well they run the option. it sucks. it literally effing sucks. that average qb of Floridas doesnt hold a torch to the option callers we've had in the past. you guys are falling into a media trap. its his TEAM for chrissakes. not the 'messiah'....

oh, that and i couldnt care less about some apparent fancy pants offense some other school is running. its not fancy, its not new, its not old. it just is. stop it or dont. whatever. just win baby. bo is our anti-venom for the big 12. we gonna be A-okay.

im so sick of this. watch again how well they run the option. it sucks. it literally effing sucks. that average qb of Floridas doesnt hold a torch to the option callers we've had in the past. you guys are falling into a media trap. its his TEAM for chrissakes. not the 'messiah'....

then you'd better slap tom osborne around then because he's said on more than one occasion that he admires how meyer runs the spread.

and i'm thinking if anyone here knows offense in the state of nebraska, it's TO.

I like what they run, but I can't believe it works so well. Tebow looks so incredibly awkward every time he runs it.... it's a wonder the execution is there.

I have to admit, I LOVE that play where the tight end follows the QB and takes a shovel pass, almost like an inverted option. OU never stopped it.

Tim Tebow average? Whatever. Here is all I have to say about all the Tebow bashing, if he was the NU quarterback doing what he is doing at Florida people would be saying how great he is. Media trap? I think that is funny sure Tebow is a National Media darling and it makes people not like him, however on a local note Joey Ganz with the Local Media darling and the whole Husker Nation loved it, had crushes on him, and some would probably allow him to be the father of one of their children. The treatment of the 2 by the media was pretty comparable when you use National for Tebow and Local for Ganz. Also if Tebow is average then what does that say about all the QB’s besides Tommie that have played here because Tommie is the only one that is better then Tebow.

As far as could NU run the Florida offense, sure we could. It would be nowhere near as good as theirs is because none of the skilled guys we have would even see the field for them, but we could run it. That being said I also think that if we ran it and it would be effective. That triple option where instead of giving to the FB he can throw the shuffle pass to the TE is awesome.

[Tim Tebow average? Whatever. Here is all I have to say about all the Tebow bashing, if he was the NU quarterback doing what he is doing at Florida people would be saying how great he is. Media trap? I think that is funny sure Tebow is a National Media darling and it makes people not like him, however on a local note Joey Ganz with the Local Media darling and the whole Husker Nation loved it, had crushes on him, and some would probably allow him to be the father of one of their children. The treatment of the 2 by the media was pretty comparable when you use National for Tebow and Local for Ganz. Also if Tebow is average then what does that say about all the QB’s besides Tommie that have played here because Tommie is the only one that is better then Tebow.

I agree. I'm not a big Tebow fan but if you were to replace "Tebow" with "Crouch", then people might have a better perspective. It seemed like fans throughout college nation hated Crouch but NU fans and the media had a man-crush on him.

[Tim Tebow average? Whatever. Here is all I have to say about all the Tebow bashing, if he was the NU quarterback doing what he is doing at Florida people would be saying how great he is. Media trap? I think that is funny sure Tebow is a National Media darling and it makes people not like him, however on a local note Joey Ganz with the Local Media darling and the whole Husker Nation loved it, had crushes on him, and some would probably allow him to be the father of one of their children. The treatment of the 2 by the media was pretty comparable when you use National for Tebow and Local for Ganz. Also if Tebow is average then what does that say about all the QB’s besides Tommie that have played here because Tommie is the only one that is better then Tebow.

I agree. I'm not a big Tebow fan but if you were to replace "Tebow" with "Crouch", then people might have a better perspective. It seemed like fans throughout college nation hated Crouch but NU fans and the media had a man-crush on him.

I know I didn't have a man-crush on him. Crouch was an okay football player, but I never really liked him.