Off Season

glm09

What need to be some of the main areas of focus for improvement this off-season? QB is obvious.

I would say Wide Receivers need to be developed, (Antonio Bell??? - any news?) It is my opinion that we will not take nearly as great of a step back in this area as people are afraid of, mainly due to the nature of our offense and the increased emphasis on the running game. However we NEED that guy we can throw to in the corner of the endzone to make a huge play for us. Understandably, though, WR development will probably directly mirror Quarterback development.

Next they need to focus on the secondary. Our corners need to be able to create interceptions in this pass heavy Big12 next year. We are bringing in a ton of new guys, including Gomes for spring ball. Our secondary was so vastly improved this last year, IMO, but we need consistency from our Safety positions. Who will fill Murillo's shoes? Blue? West? Amukumara? Gomes? Dennard? Redshirt player? Also, we always hear about Wald's hard hitting tendencies...will we see him on the field on defense?

We need to spend some time focused on our linebackers. Several people switched to that position this year (kyler reed, Matt May). I feel like we will have a ton of depth and athletecism at that position and now everyone there needs to completely understand assignments. A lot of people have confidence in this position, but who is going to cover sideline to sideline for us and put some big hits back in the game?? I didn't see a lot of pancakes this year from our LB position, even though i was more than satisfied with guys who stepped in.

We need to develop a long snapper for next year.

Also, We NEED to spend time on our kick-off coverage. Everytime we scored it left me uneasy that they were going to return it all the way. This area needs some work.

And I know that most people feel our D-line will be a strength next year, we have to keep in mind that we are losing half of the men on the line. How will replacements mesh? Suh and Steinkuler definitely complimented each other a ton, and we need to develop that same kind of relationship on the interior. And yes, Barry Turner might return, but he has been out for an entire year. How much was he a part of the growth that happened at DL this year? Was he right in the middle of he development as an observer and player-coach, or will we take a step back until he catches up? We had very little substitution this year on our DL, now we will have more depth, so how are they going to keep everyone happy? Also, Allen played very well this year, but Potter was a Captain and vocal leader...will that aspect be replaced? I think we have a ton of talent on the defensive side of the ball, but who will be our quarterback back there leading the charge and firing up the guys? Who will be a leader like Potter was on the DL? If Suh comes back he will naturally lead that charge I would think. I think Steinkuler and Potter's departure will be huge, then if Suh leaves we will really be needing to develop talent at this area.

DL and secondary are the two major focus areas I see for next year.

One comment: it seems unlikely that Wald will see the field. Our safety play has potential to improve with the redshirts like Osbourne stepping in, though.

QB will be a very key position. Increased emphasis on the rush or no, we need someone that can run the game for us on the field. A lot will hinge on how well Turner comes back.

One comment: it seems unlikely that Wald will see the field. Our safety play has potential to improve with the redshirts like Osbourne stepping in, though.

QB will be a very key position. Increased emphasis on the rush or no, we need someone that can run the game for us on the field. A lot will hinge on how well Turner comes back.

Did Wald play on ST this year or RS? If he RS then they must have thought enough of him to hold him back so they had him all 5 years; if not, you are likely correct. Of course everyone on this board loves a wedge buster.

Did Wald play on ST this year or RS? If he RS then they must have thought enough of him to hold him back so they had him all 5 years; if not, you are likely correct. Of course everyone on this board loves a wedge buster.

Wald is a hellacious hitter and seems to play with a lot of heart. But I think he is our next Brandon Rigoni. He'll make a few big hits on ST and bring character to the team, but will never be an every down player.

We need to either hire a ST coach, or give a coach that specific designation. It can't just be all the coaches giving input and coaching it. ST's are very important!! How important?? Urban Meyer is the coach in charge of Florida's ST's!! Please put an emphasis on our ST's Bo!! That's my New Year's wish.

What need to be some of the main areas of focus for improvement this off-season? QB is obvious.

***SNIP***

Offensive line. Seriously. Want to see a "new" quarterback succeed? Then you need two things - a good ground game and the ability to buy the quarterback time to make his reads when he isn't used to doing so in a live situation.

While I generally applaud the performance of our offensive line this year - I think it was much improved over last year - it still has light-years to go. We essentially can't run at will - we used the pass to open up the defense to allow us to run when we did. We need to reverse that - be able to run when we want to, against any defense, to open up the passing game.

In football, everything starts with the line. Look at our defense this year. You could hardly call the linebackers or defensive backs stellar - but because of the play of the line, they weren't exposed nearly as much as they could have been.

With a great offensive line, you can just about have mediocre skill players.

***SNIP***

Offensive line. Seriously. Want to see a "new" quarterback succeed? Then you need two things - a good ground game and the ability to buy the quarterback time to make his reads when he isn't used to doing so in a live situation.

While I generally applaud the performance of our offensive line this year - I think it was much improved over last year - it still has light-years to go. We essentially can't run at will - we used the pass to open up the defense to allow us to run when we did. We need to reverse that - be able to run when we want to, against any defense, to open up the passing game.

In football, everything starts with the line. Look at our defense this year. You could hardly call the linebackers or defensive backs stellar - but because of the play of the line, they weren't exposed nearly as much as they could have been.

With a great offensive line, you can just about have mediocre skill players.

Totally agree AR. ( I know, I know)

We need to either hire a ST coach, or give a coach that specific designation. It can't just be all the coaches giving input and coaching it. ST's are very important!! How important?? Urban Meyer is the coach in charge of Florida's ST's!! Please put an emphasis on our ST's Bo!! That's my New Year's wish.

:yeah I am tired of watching us kick off and letting the opposing team get to at least the 40 every time. Bo knows defense....Bo should know he don't know special teams, that was sooo obvious this season. There is NO reason not to hire a ST coach...either that or start kicking the freakin' ball out of bounds every time we kick or punt. :wasted

One thing that hasn't been talked about a lot, but mentioned, is our TE strength. We will absolutely have to have our TE's step up next year. But they still haven't proved to be very good running blockers, which can be seen when we run our power formations. I think our TE's need to step up, get better at blocking, and really add some fire power to the offense like #18 (too lazy to look up his name) for OU did this year.