2009 Virgina Tech Game

I'm so excited for this game. I will be making the trip to Blacksburg. I truly believe this is that "breakthrough" win for this program. Va Tech will be highly ranked in the preseason polls, a probable top 10 team. Isn't our last victory over a ranked team that was ranked better than 23rd when we beat #1 Oklahoma in 2001? I know most of us on here believe that our game against the Hokies this season was a very winnable one. Va tech will be much improved, but so will our boys in red! Mark my words. This will be the game that gets Nebraska back on the national stage.

Anyone else care to share their opinion?

This is a LONG time away, but looking at it now, I see no way NU can win this game on the road playing sloppily on offense (all of last year) and playing porous defense against a top 10 ranked team. Heck vintage NU teams playing on the road against top 10 ranked teams had a bear of a challenge let alone a rebuilding NU team. NU will have to beat VT at their own game, winning with defense and special teams. I don't think NU can do that just yet, not enough athletes or experience on that side of the ball. That and in order for NU to succeed next year, Barney Cotton will have to step up and go to work this off season getting the O-line together and the 2 junior I-backs better be ready to take their games to another level.

Breaking in a new QB, NU will have to win games running the ball and playing tough, smart defense next year. The ball control passing game probably won't cut it next year or be available. Time for some spread option running football :)

This is a LONG time away, but looking at it now, I see no way NU can win this game on the road playing sloppily on offense (all of last year) and playing porous defense against a top 10 ranked team. Heck vintage NU teams playing on the road against top 10 ranked teams had a bear of a challenge let alone a rebuilding NU team. NU will have to beat VT at their own game, winning with defense and special teams. I don't think NU can do that just yet, not enough athletes or experience on that side of the ball. That and in order for NU to succeed next year, Barney Cotton will have to step up and go to work this off season getting the O-line together and the 2 junior I-backs better be ready to take their games to another level.

Breaking in a new QB, NU will have to win games running the ball and playing tough, smart defense next year. The ball control passing game probably won't cut it next year or be available. Time for some spread option running football :)

what makes you think they are going to improve more than we have from when we played them this season to when we play them next season?

i think Bo has played a hell of chess match with getting/saving/developing the guys he wants on D. suh coming back is just the fuse for the stick of dynamite he's been hiding in his pocket. i believe next years defense is going to blow the eff up out of anyone that gets in their way. i truly believe next years developing offensive potential was expected, and put in this current position to come along as the season goes. i see the defense more than holding its own in blackburg next year, and even with the rose colored glasses off cannot see us losing there.

well, maybe theyre sitting on top of my head, but im not looking through them. :)

Almost every Husker fan was saying these types of statements when talking about the 2008 Texas Tech at Lubbock. Most people thought we had no shot whatsoever, and the Big Red came out and, technically, should have won that football game. Don't count out the Big Red in any game next season, as this Husker football team will be much improved.

Almost every Husker fan was saying these types of statements when talking about the 2008 Texas Tech at Lubbock. Most people thought we had no shot whatsoever, and the Big Red came out and, technically, should have won that football game. Don't count out the Big Red in any game next season, as this Husker football team will be much improved.

Maybe nu shoulda won, maybe, but TT did technically win that game.

every game is winnable. Can nu beat Vatech at home?

sure. But it isn't likely.

what makes you think they are going to improve more than we have from when we played them this season to when we play them next season?

The opposite is just as valid a question. But a glance at the preseason polls should answer that question. Vatech was barely ranked when they met the huskers in 08. They'll likely be highly ranked when they meet in 09.

The huskers will be much improved... so will Vatech. They were a VERY young team last season when they beat nu ON THE ROAD. Beating nu at home will not be as difficult for them.

The huskers haven't beaten a ranked team AT home for years, let alone on the road.

I'll be cheering for the mighty skers and NU will win many games in 2009.

...but the Vatech game probably won't be one of them. :cheers

The good news... we'll find out next season. :)

The opposite is just as valid a question. But a glance at the preseason polls should answer that question. Vatech was barely ranked when they met the huskers in 08. They'll likely be highly ranked when they meet in 09.

The huskers will be much improved... so will Vatech. They were a VERY young team last season when they beat nu ON THE ROAD. Beating nu at home will not be as difficult for them.

The huskers haven't beaten a ranked team AT home for years, let alone on the road.

Okay, what if we DO win this game? For those who doubt the team's chances against VT (reasonable to do so, BTW), does that count as a signature win since you don't expect a W?

I'm so excited for this game. I will be making the trip to Blacksburg. I truly believe this is that "breakthrough" win for this program. Va Tech will be highly ranked in the preseason polls, a probable top 10 team. Isn't our last victory over a ranked team that was ranked better than 23rd when we beat #1 Oklahoma in 2001? I know most of us on here believe that our game against the Hokies this season was a very winnable one. Va tech will be much improved, but so will our boys in red! Mark my words. This will be the game that gets Nebraska back on the national stage.

Anyone else care to share their opinion?

I think VTs defense will be too much for our new QB.I expect us to be much better on defense BUT I also expect VT to be better on offense.Taylor had a great game against us last year and he will only improve.Now they have a good RB who at the time we played this past year he wasnt "there" yet.Now they have the RB to go with Taylor and the WRs will have another year of experience.I still think we have to stop the run against them and we have a chance.I think the RB can be slowed BUT Taylor as a runner scares me.On offense we will be breaking in a new QB AND WRs so it will be very hard to do against VTs defense.Last year I think if we had played VT later in the year we may have won...unfortunately this year I feel the same way.The speed of VTs defense will smother our rather young QB and WRs and we will struggle offensively.Both teams defense does well but in the end Taylor makes a play and VT wins.Very similar to last year but lower scoring imo...21-17 VT.

Okay, what if we DO win this game? For those who doubt the team's chances against VT (reasonable to do so, BTW), does that count as a signature win since you don't expect a W?

A win against a ranked team ON THE ROAD...

yes. It would be HUGE!! :clap:clap