2009 Virgina Tech Game

This one will probably be close. If we win, it is because we have outplayed a more talented team. We pulled that off against clemson (decisively if you take away the dumb turnovers). but VT will come out firing. You know this will be nationally televised as we will both be undefeated and ranked going into this game.

Also, sure, you can say that we "should have" beaten Texas Tech (and I agree with that), but conversely, if we had been in TT's shoes we would be saying "we should have won by 20" and you know they are probably saying the same thing. Clemson is probably saying that they should have won, and we are saying we should have beaten them by a lot. It doesn't make sense to me to reference the TT game when talking about playing Virginia Tech next year.

VT will be more talented at some positions, but not at others and at home they will be ready. I bet this game will be just as close as last year's game, but it will be lower scoring, played more ACC style than high flying BIG 12 style.

I'm so excited for this game. I will be making the trip to Blacksburg. I truly believe this is that "breakthrough" win for this program. Va Tech will be highly ranked in the preseason polls, a probable top 10 team. Isn't our last victory over a ranked team that was ranked better than 23rd when we beat #1 Oklahoma in 2001? I know most of us on here believe that our game against the Hokies this season was a very winnable one. Va tech will be much improved, but so will our boys in red! Mark my words. This will be the game that gets Nebraska back on the national stage.

Anyone else care to share their opinion?

As the posters over on the VT board pointed out, VT opens with Alabama. They may or may not be highly ranked and undefeated when we play them. I think they will be ranked either way, pending another Clemson type blow out, but whether they are a bottom tier top 25 team or upper echelon is yet to be seen.

I am trying to figure the logic of the people who say we have no chance at a win there. I realize they will be improved as we will, and there are a ton of unknowns on both sides. I think at the end of this season the way the D was playing for us we would have won, but of course we will never know that because stats do lie IMO. I am wondering if the people who are saying we will lose think that our D will be unable to bottle Taylor up? Or if overall they will be to fast for our D? I also am wondering if people think that the coaches won't be able to adjust to the new QB enough to make the offense flow? I really Do Not think that the QB situation will be as big of an issue as some think. I think we are blessed to have the problem we have at the QB position. We have three QB's who have been practicing this system and have been studying both film and the play book. It will be an interesting season to say the least. IMO we all will be pleasantly surprised by the results of next season!!! :thumbs

This is a LONG time away, but looking at it now, I see no way NU can win this game on the road playing sloppily on offense (all of last year) and playing porous defense against a top 10 ranked team. Heck vintage NU teams playing on the road against top 10 ranked teams had a bear of a challenge let alone a rebuilding NU team. NU will have to beat VT at their own game, winning with defense and special teams. I don't think NU can do that just yet, not enough athletes or experience on that side of the ball. That and in order for NU to succeed next year, Barney Cotton will have to step up and go to work this off season getting the O-line together and the 2 junior I-backs better be ready to take their games to another level.

Breaking in a new QB, NU will have to win games running the ball and playing tough, smart defense next year. The ball control passing game probably won't cut it next year or be available. Time for some spread option running football :)

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. Beamer even stated that in his 20 or so years coaching that the 08' Hokies were the youngest team he's ever fielded. They have a lot coming back. The things that concern me the most are: 1. it's an away game 2. it's played so early in the season 3. we're breaking in a new QB 4. they're going to have more eperience coming back compared to us.

It will take the best game NU has played thus far in Bo's HC career for NU to knock off the Hokies in 09'. Not saying it can't be done, but it's highly unlikely.

I am trying to figure the logic of the people who say we have no chance at a win there. I realize they will be improved as we will, and there are a ton of unknowns on both sides. I think at the end of this season the way the D was playing for us we would have won, but of course we will never know that because stats do lie IMO. I am wondering if the people who are saying we will lose think that our D will be unable to bottle Taylor up? Or if overall they will be to fast for our D? I also am wondering if people think that the coaches won't be able to adjust to the new QB enough to make the offense flow? I really Do Not think that the QB situation will be as big of an issue as some think. I think we are blessed to have the problem we have at the QB position. We have three QB's who have been practicing this system and have been studying both film and the play book. It will be an interesting season to say the least. IMO we all will be pleasantly surprised by the results of next season!!! :thumbs

the logic is plain and simple......we have no experience at qb and damn little coming back at WR.....key positions....they will stack the line, stuff our run game and challenge a new kid at qb to throw the ball.

sure, we could overcome the newness at the skill positions, but not likely until we get 5-6 games under our belt next season.

the logic is plain and simple......we have no experience at qb and damn little coming back at WR.....key positions....they will stack the line, stuff our run game and challenge a new kid at qb to throw the ball.

sure, we could overcome the newness at the skill positions, but not likely until we get 5-6 games under our belt next season.

That is not Logic that is an opinion. We do have experience within the system, just not in game situations yet and either did Joe until Keller got hurt. I think it turned out to be pretty good. We do have experience at WR as well with Holt and Paul returning. The red shirts have sounded good as the coaches have stated, and I highly doubt they would lie about that I guess JMO. Also the tightend position will be another threat next year for us as well as the running game with most of the O-line returning with more experience under their belts.

Now I am not saying that Tech will be an easy W, but I do think that it is winnable and will be a good game. They are a good team that has a very good coach. I just think that we both have improved at the same pace and have played some tougher opponents IMO which will only make us better as well. It should be an interesting battle. I can't wait. :horns2

That is not Logic that is an opinion. We do have experience within the system, just not in game situations yet and either did Joe until Keller got hurt. I think it turned out to be pretty good. We do have experience at WR as well with Holt and Paul returning. The red shirts have sounded good as the coaches have stated, and I highly doubt they would lie about that I guess JMO. Also the tightend position will be another threat next year for us as well as the running game with most of the O-line returning with more experience under their belts.

Now I am not saying that Tech will be an easy W, but I do think that it is winnable and will be a good game. They are a good team that has a very good coach. I just think that we both have improved at the same pace and have played some tougher opponents IMO which will only make us better as well. It should be an interesting battle. I can't wait. :horns2

VaTech brings more to the table, plain and simple.

We have many holes to fill, not the least being a QB.

On the road, top 15 team. Oh yea it is a sure win. We have done that so many times in the last 7 years. I think at least 0.

Tough game, a long way off. We have a chance, but right now if I had to bet the house on it, VaTech wins.

But Bo really surprised me at Clemson, so anything is possible.

Too early to tell at this time.

Is optimism dead under Husker fans? You guys make it seem like it's a shoe in for a loss.

Given our coaching history over the last several years, you can't expect Nebraska to remain weak against quality opponents. I mean who expected Texas Tech to go down the way it did? Plus, most ESPN analysts had us slotted to lose the Clemson game. Thanks to Callahan and Co., ESPN analysts were always 100% correct when picking Husker games, they finally got one wrong.