Forum heirarchy is in serious need of change

Landlord

I'm not sure I see thaaat much of a difference (or reduction) in the number of sub categories in the original post from what we have now.

But then, I never bothered to learn the Dewy Decimal System, either. <_<

Before getting hooked on this board, I spent a couple years on a former Bowl opponent's board..They had probably four times the traffic and only two categories.."Sports" and "Off topic".

Sure, the thread you were throwing insults back and forth with some of the locals would get burried on the fourth page by the next day, but that's where a proper working search function works well...(And not one where you have to wait eleventy hundred seconds to perform another search).

I'm s l o w l y getting used to all the sub categories here, but I probably never see Roxy's recipes anymore since they got their own sub-forum..(not that interested in feed, but some of her's that I did notice, prior to the secession..I still want to try someday)..It's sorta like fries at McDonalds..I really like them, but never think to order them unless they mention it, and then I don't for the principal of it..(Don't want to reward them for being so uppitty). :box

The biggest gripe? I still have, if you want me to choose that strong a wurd...

Is the time sensitive "emergency" iformation that's missed.

I spend about 80% of my time reading the Football section and the rest in the Lounge or lookin' at skin..

It would be nice if there were a sort of "In Box" where you could alert the largest number of Husker fans about the sudden telecast of the Show on the Biography Channel about "the life and times of Bob Devaney" or ABC mercifully showing the fourth quarter of the Nebraska Football game being broadcast in place of the boring game that was regularly scheduled.

Or a year ago, when the NCAA Wermins Volleyball tournament was being shown on some obscure network that I found while surfing..I wanted to share that info with everyone, but I figured..most of you were casual fans like me..not likely to have ever stepped finger in the VB forum, but would still love a chance to see them on the tube for free if only you knew it was on.

I posted in the Football forum, because the VB forum was a ghost town (No visitors OR members lurking and no new posts in weeks).

I remember pleading for the mods to leave it in the wrong forum at least until the match was over, but it lasted only a few minutes before it was sufficiently "hidden".

I doubt the following *feature would even be possible, but I can dream..(*sorry AR)

A starting off "Inbox" that all posts spend the first day on, then automatically moved the next day to the originator's idea of the perfect subforum..Or can be moved elsewhere by a Mod if it got too off topic.

Maybe do away with the post padding threads like "last to post wins", or the ones desparately looking for votes in ESPN's useless poll of the day..(Sometimes I think they (ESPN) put them up just to see how many of us will vote while the rest of the nation watches and laughs). :dunno

Double post..

Maybe not do away with them...but..

:boxosoap

I remember an interesting forum from another board that was fun to visit..A "Hall of Fame" where they put some of the best (funniest) threads.

It's amazing how long threads are kept in archive? on this board..It's probably one of the many bennefits of being as small as we are.

I'm sure there can always be organization improvements. Everyone will always have their own opinion. I'm rather new to this board but have been very impressed with its ease of use and readability. I only read the football and football recruiting boards. I do check the new posts sometimes. Anyway - just wanted to give my thumbs up to how this board is managed. Excellent work boys. Very appreciated.

I like the idea of doing some changes, but definitely think that Recruiting should have it's own forum...the Mods do a good job keeping the recruiting moved over there when it needs to be done, and I think the regular football forum would be bogged down if Recruiting became part of the regular football forum.

I know you all have seen them, but there have been a lot of compliments from people that support other schools/teams about this board. I hate to see anything too drastic that would screw that up, but then if we could clean it up where it needs it that would be cool also.

I have to admit, I don't get off the football forum very often...so it would be hard for me to judge too much on what the other forums have for traffic and content.

I do trust that the right decisions will be made...and if they don't work, I also have faith that we can roll back what changes didn't work.

***SNIP***

Although there is one other thing: on some other boards they make it, so it you put your mouse over the post link, that it pops a little box with the first 15 words or so. Such as http://lounge.cwtv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12 I dont know how hard that would be to do but I think it is cool. It makes it so you can know a little more about the post other than the title (which can be misleading).

Invision Boards don't have that feature by themselves (at least not any 2.1.x versions, the newer versions might, Huskerboard software is pretty out of date), but there are a lot of mods floating around the internet. I'll search around because I'm bored.

Just to follow up on Landlord's point - we need to confine this to reorganization and not features. Some of the suggestions on features, while worthwhile, are problematic because:

1. It kind of detracts from what we want to decide - whether to reorganize, and if so, how and why.

2. Most features are not part of the software we use. It requires either finding, installing, and testing a mod to the code, or creating a mod (and frankly, I'm not well versed in PHP enough to do it, and I don't think any of the Mods or Admins are, either). And if a member has that programming expertise, we'd welcome it - but we'd prefer it be done through the Invasion forums, so that it can go through the regular testing and comments before we try it out. Not that we don't trust you, but...

Anyway, if you would, please confine your comments to the issue of reorganization. If you have feature requests, please start a new thread here in the Board Feedback forum. Thanks.

sorry about that, I didnt see that part

• 2 weeks later...

I think you guys need to have a scrolling bar for when the switch of the forums are going to take place, just because I will not get enough of that for the next five months on tv for the switch to digital tv, man I love seeing that and especially the 30 second commercials :bang

but really I was just wondering how it was coming along with the changes and if you guys had made a definite list of changes

I think you guys need to have a scrolling bar for when the switch of the forums are going to take place, just because I will not get enough of that for the next five months on tv for the switch to digital tv, man I love seeing that and especially the 30 second commercials :bang

but really I was just wondering how it was coming along with the changes and if you guys had made a definite list of changes

No decisions yet - either to change, or if so, how to change it.

I know that if we decide to do it, it will probably be late spring before it's done. The Arkansas legislative session is in full swing, and I simply don't have time - and won't until April or May. If the decision is made, ETR, Blackshirt or slacker might decide to do it sooner if they have time, but I wouldn't count on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...