Forum heirarchy is in serious need of change

Landlord

This MAY be far fetched, but if possible, allow members to add forums to their "favorites" or "bookmarks" under their account so they don't have to weed through the forums they don't frequent.

Example: I usually check out the football, recruiting, BS forum, the shed and ...cough...cough skin forums when I log in. If its made to where these forums are in my favorites when i log in, that is what I see, not the "more sports" or "Sally's new pie recipe" forums.

Just saying........

The mods and admin do a fine job with their volunteer work and I am thankful that its a free board.

GBR

This MAY be far fetched, but if possible, allow members to add forums to their "favorites" or "bookmarks" under their account so they don't have to weed through the forums they don't frequent.

Example: I usually check out the football, recruiting, BS forum, the shed and ...cough...cough skin forums when I log in. If its made to where these forums are in my favorites when i log in, that is what I see, not the "more sports" or "Sally's new pie recipe" forums.

I like this idea, not sure how to do it, but it makes sense to me.

I'm not in favor of the OP's suggestion, for the reason that it would now take 2 clicks to get into Husker Football instead of 1. I don't see how this improves things. I'm more likely to just bookmark Husker football and completely bypass the rest. Probably some of the other forums could be collapsed, but I like being able to get directly to Husker football from the front page, while being able to quickly browse the Last Post info on the other forums to see if anything interests me.

It's not a big deal, I won't complain if it's changed, but since you asked for input, that's mine.

The mods and admin do a fine job with their volunteer work and I am thankful that is is a free board.

:yeah

I like this idea, not sure how to do it, but it makes sense to me.

I'm not in favor of the OP's suggestion, for the reason that it would now take 2 clicks to get into Husker Football instead of 1.

The mods and admin do a fine job with their volunteer work and I am thankful that is is a free board.

:yeah

No it wouldn't...

Personally, I feel like recruiting should be in its own forum. Recruiting is a big topic and there are legit subforums for that (by year). Introducing hierarchy (too many subforums) is annoying, and placing recruiting into a lower hierarchy is annoying because it makes it less accessible.

I agree with this. I know that many people (myself included) visit the Recruiting page much more than the Main Forum.

Ok, I misread the OP. This is a smaller change than I thought, and I'm more in agreement. I care less about the proposal, but a few comments as long as I'm typing:

- From the number of posts, Recruiting seems popular enough to stay a subforum. It's #3 among forums.

- I personally would like to see basketball as a subforum. Or maybe whatever sports are in season could be subforums? That would be cool, though I don't know how easy it is to administer the changes.

- A/V club definitely belongs under Misc.

- I'd like to see "MORE Sports" in the same group as the Husker Sports, at least the Big-12 and NCAA subforums, because that's where a lot of talk that relates to the Huskers (conference opponents, other Top 25 teams, etc) is. Maybe the headings should be "Sports" (Husker and non-Husker forums) and "Other Stuff" (BS Lounge, Woodshed, A/V, Classifieds, Contests, Skin, Feedback, and probably Plan-it)

I agree that "Plan it husker" and "A/V club" should be moved to "Other Stuff" but move "other sports" up.

But I dont agree with having the recuriting in a sub forum of football, there are too many posts daily to be in a sub forum- espcially with 08, 09, 10, plus the main thread of posts.

I am not sure if I like basketball, baseball, and volleyball on the main page. I dont think they get enough traffic (maybe it would change that, which I would hope for) but there are only a few of us that post in basketball/baseball (I dont know about volleyball, I dont post in there).

If the A/V club is moved "down" I think it would be fine, I like it sub categorized.

I also like the the setup of the other sports, because with the categories now it is real specific and easy to read what you want. (But what Landlord said doesnt sound too bad).

There is my input on the subject, take it for what it is worth.

Although there is one other thing: on some other boards they make it, so it you put your mouse over the post link, that it pops a little box with the first 15 words or so. Such as http://lounge.cwtv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12 I dont know how hard that would be to do but I think it is cool. It makes it so you can know a little more about the post other than the title (which can be misleading).

I agree that "Plan it husker" and "A/V club" should be moved to "Other Stuff" but move "other sports" up.

But I dont agree with having the recuriting in a sub forum of football, there are too many posts daily to be in a sub forum- espcially with 08, 09, 10, plus the main thread of posts.

I am not sure if I like basketball, baseball, and volleyball on the main page. I dont think they get enough traffic (maybe it would change that, which I would hope for) but there are only a few of us that post in basketball/baseball (I dont know about volleyball, I dont post in there).

If the A/V club is moved "down" I think it would be fine, I like it sub categorized.

I also like the the setup of the other sports, because with the categories now it is real specific and easy to read what you want. (But what Landlord said doesnt sound too bad).

There is my input on the subject, take it for what it is worth.

Although there is one other thing: on some other boards they make it, so it you put your mouse over the post link, that it pops a little box with the first 15 words or so. Such as http://lounge.cwtv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12 I dont know how hard that would be to do but I think it is cool. It makes it so you can know a little more about the post other than the title (which can be misleading).

Invision Boards don't have that feature by themselves (at least not any 2.1.x versions, the newer versions might, Huskerboard software is pretty out of date), but there are a lot of mods floating around the internet. I'll search around because I'm bored.

***SNIP***

Invision Boards don't have that feature by themselves (at least not any 2.1.x versions, the newer versions might, Huskerboard software is pretty out of date), but there are a lot of mods floating around the internet. I'll search around because I'm bored.

Just to follow up on Landlord's point - we need to confine this to reorganization and not features. Some of the suggestions on features, while worthwhile, are problematic because:

1. It kind of detracts from what we want to decide - whether to reorganize, and if so, how and why.

2. Most features are not part of the software we use. It requires either finding, installing, and testing a mod to the code, or creating a mod (and frankly, I'm not well versed in PHP enough to do it, and I don't think any of the Mods or Admins are, either). And if a member has that programming expertise, we'd welcome it - but we'd prefer it be done through the Invasion forums, so that it can go through the regular testing and comments before we try it out. Not that we don't trust you, but...

Anyway, if you would, please confine your comments to the issue of reorganization. If you have feature requests, please start a new thread here in the Board Feedback forum. Thanks.

Personally I have no problem with the way it is set up. Way too many places for me to go though.

I like the look of this site. It is easier to read and the layout of the pages are great.

I know bandwidth can be a problem. I have offered several times to provide very reasonable bandwidth. I would like the opportunity to shop the provider and see if I can beat the price you are paying.

Other than that, you guys are doing a great job, well except for possibly rawhide, he never responds to me anymore.