Bryce Brown to the C.F.L.?

Bryce Brown to the C.F.L.?

The New York Times Sports Blog

WICHITA, Kan. – The top-ranked player in last year's high school basketball class, Brandon Jennings, skipped college to play professionally overseas. Could the same thing happen in football?

Brian Butler, the controversial manager of the top-ranked football recruit, Bryce Brown, is open to the idea. Butler told The Times that if approached by a Canadian Football League team, he'd consider sending Brown there.

Butler said he planned to have someone explore the possibility of Brown playing in the C.F.L. next season. "If they were talking about any amount of real money, I'd guarantee it," Butler said of Brown potentially playing in the C.F.L. He mentioned a C.F.L. team paying Brown $5 million a year for three years.

He added: "We're not playing around. I can promise you that. I'm not scared at all to do anything, and Bryce isn't either. Hey, he'll hurt your feelings. He's not worried about your feelings. He's worried about what's right and what's wrong."

Brown would be eligible to play in the C.F.L., because there's no minimum age limit. In the N.F.L., a player has to be three years removed from his high school graduation class. But Brown's price tag could be a hitch in Butler's plans: C.F.L. teams have $4.2 million salary cap … per team.

Still, this notion raises an interesting possibility. Could we actually see a player leave an American high school and go straight to Canada?

So I'm confused it says Butler is his Manager but I didnt think you could have one of those our is that just an agent that you cant have? If Bryce was smart he would dump Butler you can just tell this guy is after the money and doesnt have Bryce's best interest at heart.

i pity the school who takes him...unless it's ksu because they will get reemed by violations.

I'm still of the opinion that the only position a high school player could leap to any sort of professional team is WR. OL and DL aren't big enough, strong enough, or seasoned enough to do it. QB's aren't even close to being seasoned enough. LB's need to develop strength, size, and technique as well. We might see some very high profile WR's make this leap, but I highly doubt we'll see those playing other positions jump to the Canadian league.

c.fl.?...maybe that's just what he needs to bring him back down to earth....i'm usually not a hater but guys with this kind of attitude just makes it hard to root for him....i mean the kid doesn't even stretch with his teamates or go through training camp because he was afraid he might get hurt...not a team player at all from the sound of it....this is straight from his coach/ coaches mouth...everybody puts all the blame on his "agent", butler, but bryce and his family is as much to blame for letting this circus to continue...we're not talking about a little six year old here....not saying that nu ever had a chance or that they even recruited him, but i never want a kid with this attitude at nu ever.....guys like him is a ticking time bomb with the ncaa

It doesn't matter if it is the NFL or the CFL, players need a "buffer" between high school and professional football. Athletes can get away with it in sports with little to no contact, but not in football. At least a small portion of that $5 million will have to go to the shipping costs for mailing both pieces of his body back to the States after the first hit he takes from the grown men of professional football.

I do not know what to think of Butler, I think part of this is Bryce Brown. Regardless, the whole thing has the makings of a 3 ring circus and does not lead me to think positive thoghts about Brown or Butler in how they are handling it.

Agreed.

And at Nebraska, we do not need people who would entertain these thoughts, nor those who would hire people to actually publicize these thoughts. Good luck Bryce.