Recruiting W/R ?????

Recruiting in general is such a crap shoot, but it seems to be particularly so with the receiver position. Just look at the guys coming out of high school:

Peterson: walk-on, turned out to be a huge asset for us in 2008.

Swift and Nunn: Both recruited for Solich's offense, neither was highly touted. They both had monster careers and ended up in the top 3 or 4 in school receptions and yards.

Brooks and Hardy: Both highly rated (four stars). Brooks was rated the #15 WR in the country. Neither did much (Brooks still has next year, but hasn't done anything thus far)

Paul: Very highly touted. Four stars and 10th ranked receiver. Hasn't done anything significant for us yet. I wish he would have redshirted last season.

Not sure what I was getting at exactly, but you just never know. I am surprised we didn't get more WRs in this class. We are definitely gonna need someone to step up next season.

It's January, I mean wait it's February...time flies....so let's stay positive. Perhaps the WR's on the team didn't feel the urgency last year with Swift and Peterson (and sort of Holt). This year it's fairly wide open at the WR position so someone could really step up and emerge as the man at WR. I honestly think that Nate Swift deserves a lot more credit than he got. I know he was white and doesn't run a sub 4.5 40, but he was a gamer....you don't return a punt for a touchdown without having at least a few moves. I'm pretty sure he got an invite to the combine (hopefully since I said that).

Also, tonight on the radio, Mike'l Severe (who seems to know football) and Sipple were talking about Kinnie, who according to Rivals is pretty fast, as an immediate impact player. They were saying they think from this staff wouldn't target a JUCO who isn't ready to help. I bet, and I hope, we'll be surprised by our wideouts this year....I think Bo's a good coach who probably knows what he's doing. (maybe I drink too much Kool-Aid :lol: )

Its been brought up before... guys will step up and we'll be fine at WR next year. Meno should be a stud of a possession receiver, and maybe 1)Paul will finally turn all that hype and potential into production 2)Gilleylan will finally start catching the ball. On Big Red Wrap Up, Kinnie said the coaches (Gilmore) told him he reminded them a lot of Mo Purify with more speed... could be a good one. But I think this year we finally step up and get that true #1, gamebreaker at WR. I would love McCay from KS or Keeston Terry from MO (Terry coming for junior day). Both have great upside AND stars. Also, sleeper recruit is a guy name Josh Harper outta CA... anybody know how that name is related to husker FB?

We should be adequate at WR next year. Kinnie should add immediate depth, but we'll need the core group of Gilleylan, Holt, and Paul to really step up.

As for this year's recruiting class, don't count out a couple of speedy slot type walk-ons in Kildow and Failla. They may be small and coming off of injuries, but they were two of the most explosive players in the state their junior years.

unfortunately being the most explosive players in the state of nebraska doesnt make these guys anything more than what they are...walkons.I have nothing against them but I will not count on walk ons to be our explosive athletes.Anything these guys do will be EXTRA.We had better start recruiting some smaller speedier guys at WR or our offense will always be somewhat handcuffed.Im not even sure if the guys have to be big time 4 an5 star type guys but they must be fast and able toget YAC.Deep threats are needed in the worst way and as of right now we have none.

We should be adequate at WR next year. Kinnie should add immediate depth, but we'll need the core group of Gilleylan, Holt, and Paul to really step up.

As for this year's recruiting class, don't count out a couple of speedy slot type walk-ons in Kildow and Failla. They may be small and coming off of injuries, but they were two of the most explosive players in the state their junior years.

unfortunately being the most explosive players in the state of nebraska doesnt make these guys anything more than what they are...walkons.I have nothing against them but I will not count on walk ons to be our explosive athletes.Anything these guys do will be EXTRA.We had better start recruiting some smaller speedier guys at WR or our offense will always be somewhat handcuffed.Im not even sure if the guys have to be big time 4 an5 star type guys but they must be fast and able toget YAC.Deep threats are needed in the worst way and as of right now we have none.

Kildow ran a 4.39 at the Husker camp last summer right before he tore his ACL. I'm pretty sure that time qualifies him to be mentioned as explosive no matter where he is from. Not only does he have tremendous straight line speed, he has incredibly quick moves as well. I'm not sure how much his height will hinder him as a receiver but I have no doubt he will be a stellar return man for NU.... perhaps as early as next year.

Just walk-ons, huh?

So were Clete Pillen, Kelly Saalfeld, I.M. Hipp, David Clark, Jarvis Redwine, Derrie Nelson, Jimmy Williams, Toby Williams, John Parella, and Jared Tomich. They also all happened to receive All-American recognition.

I also remember another explosive player from the Omaha area that did alright - Reggie Baul.

I truly believe that Kildow would have been offered a ship if he hadn't been injured. Would that have changed your mind about him?

I truly believe that Kildow would have been offered a ship if he hadn't been injured. Would that have changed your mind about him?

He was certainly close.

The only thing is Kildow really messed that knee up badly. He had a total reconstruction of the knee, so it makes you wonder if he will have that same speed coming back. If he does, we got a steal of a walk-on.

unfortunately being the most explosive players in the state of Nebraska doesn't make these guys anything more than what they are...walkons.I have nothing against them but I will not count on walk ons to be our explosive athletes.Anything these guys do will be EXTRA.We had better start recruiting some smaller speedier guys at WR or our offense will always be somewhat handcuffed.I'm not even sure if the guys have to be big time 4 an5 star type guys but they must be fast and able to get YAC.Deep threats are needed in the worst way and as of right now we have none.

Just walk-ons, huh?

So were Clete Pillen, Kelly Saalfeld, I.M. Hipp, David Clark, Jarvis Redwine, Derrie Nelson, Jimmy Williams, Toby Williams, John Parella, and Jared Tomich. They also all happened to receive All-American recognition.

I also remember another explosive player from the Omaha area that did alright - Reggie Baul.

All those guys mentioned above had great carriers at NU. I am not saying we may not have a future All America on the team right now at w/r. As of right now we don't seem to have that explosive ,take it to the end zone from any where, "type". All those players you mentioned didn't have to play their first season like All America's, there were players already in front of them, showing how it was done, and they weren't being asked to come in and win the position because no one was there who could handle it. You want to have the next player ready to step up and take the Seniors, who just left place, without worrying if he can do it. That's why you need to be able to recruit at the positions your weakest at and get that pipeline going. We didn't do that this recruiting cycle, even as hard as the coaches went at it. I feel they lost at least 1 year of getting some w/r's ready for this system and fitting in, for the 2010 season.

GBR!!!

All those guys mentioned above had great carriers at NU. I am not saying we may not have a future All America on the team right now at w/r. As of right now we don't seem to have that explosive ,take it to the end zone from any where, "type". All those players you mentioned didn't have to play their first season like All America's, there were players already in front of them, showing how it was done, and they weren't being asked to come in and win the position because no one was there who could handle it. You want to have the next player ready to step up and take the Seniors, who just left place, without worrying if he can do it. That's why you need to be able to recruit at the positions your weakest at and get that pipeline going. We didn't do that this recruiting cycle, even as hard as the coaches went at it. I feel they lost at least 1 year of getting some w/r's ready for this system and fitting in, for the 2010 season.

GBR!!!

I disagree with the last part. NU has Khiry Cooper, Tim Marlowe, and Steven Osborne along with a few lesser known names such as Taylor Dixon and KC Hyland coming off redshirt years. They will all be redshirt sophomores in 2010. Brandon Kinnie comes in as a 3-for-3 soph in 2009 and will be a junior in 2010. Antonio Bell is a true frosh this fall and a SO/rFR in 2010. And that's just the incoming players and redshirt FR.

We aren't super deep at WR, but I think we've got more than enough to field a squad. We need at least 2 more WR in the next class to keep it stocked, and we might get a JUCO guy or 2 over the next couple years to fill in where needed.