QB Tyler Gabbert

Enough with the damn height concern. "Oh no, he's not tall enough to be a QB in the NFL, so why should he be our QB." This is crap, the kid is going to be a senior in HS, still is maturing and growing, and everyone is freaking out cause he is only 6 ft.

Obviously the staff sees a lot in Tyler or we wouldn't have been after him. Same with all the other programs that were and still will be recruiting him.

If you look at his numbers and team results when he took over his HS team when Blaine got hurt his senior year, they were better then healthy big bro. What made Blaine so gaga in the recruiting services eyes was his eye test, being he passed the eye test with his attributes and physique. News flash so did Harrison Beck, and last year as a junior in college he still had the deer in headlights look when he played. Who knows Blaine could be the same way.

Tyler for all we know has that "it" factor, cool/calm in the huddle and on the field, football smarts, and strong leadership skills which our coaches have noticed. All things that I would take in a future QB over height and the ability to throw the ball 70+ yards in shorts and a t-shirt when no one is chasing you.

:rant

great pick up for the Huskers

welcome aboard and get after Lucas

No where near the size of the kid at Missouri with the same last name.

Think of him as a 1 inch taller version of Todd Reeesing, becasue his game is alot like his. Only he is alot faster.

Also he has played much better than Blaine in games. The only thing that will hold both Blaine and Tyler back( except that Blaine plays for Misery), is that they play pretty crappy competiton in a lower level divesion.

and Blaine was 6'0" his junior year before he hit a growth spurt, and judging from videos vs. pictures it looks like Tyler is hitting a bit of the same spurt.

I don't know about the growth spurt deal, but Tyler does look very young. Tyler is also turning 18 next month, for some he should be in the class of 2009. Cody Green is only a couple months older then T. Gabbert. I'd be inclined to think he's done growing and hopefully he is a legit 6'.

That's besides the point, I still can't figure out which direction this staff/Watson wants to go regarding the type of QB they want?? OR which direction they want the offense to go?? WCO, Spread, Spread option based running attack, I guess they just call it the Nebraska O, whatever that is.

Lee is a dual threat. Spano, from reports, is Not. L. Washington is a dual threat. C. Green is a dual threat. Tyler Gabbert is Not.

and Blaine was 6'0" his junior year before he hit a growth spurt, and judging from videos vs. pictures it looks like Tyler is hitting a bit of the same spurt.

Exactly. Some of these kids don't hit that growth spurt until college, or maybe late in their highschool years.

Who knows? He could be the same, an inch taller, or perhaps 6'3-6'5. Sure, height helps, but it's not too much of a significant factor in college. Look at ole' Joe for example.

I don't know about the growth spurt deal, but Tyler does look very young. Tyler is also turning 18 next month, for some he should be in the class of 2009. Cody Green is only a couple months older then T. Gabbert. I'd be inclined to think he's done growing and hopefully he is a legit 6'.

That's besides the point, I still can't figure out which direction this staff/Watson wants to go regarding the type of QB they want?? OR which direction they want the offense to go?? WCO, Spread, Spread option based running attack, I guess they just call it the Nebraska O, whatever that is.

Lee is a dual threat. Spano, from reports, is Not. L. Washington is a dual threat. C. Green is a dual threat. Tyler Gabbert is Not.

How is a guy who runs a legit camp timed 4.6 40 not a duel threat? With that kind of speed, you let the kid run and he will pick up some yards.

Question not the SpreadCoast yodahusker1.jpgWin championships with it we will.

It's really simple. The coaches recruit players that fit into the culture of Nebraska first and foremost, and especially on the offensive end, tailor the offense to fit the players currently in it.

It's really not as complicated as you are making it...

The offensive staff, read OC Shawn Watson, wants a QB that is quick / fast enough to elude the rush and buy time in the pocket to find an open receiver downfield. In seeking out this kind of QB they realize that there will be times that the QB will have to take off and run. All they are looking for are QB's that can buy time or take off and run and turn a "bad" play into a good one.

The offensive staff, read OC Shawn Watson, wants a QB that is quick / fast enough to elude the rush and buy time in the pocket to find an open receiver downfield. In seeking out this kind of QB they realize that there will be times that the QB will have to take off and run. All they are looking for are QB's that can buy time or take off and run and turn a "bad" play into a good one.

Oh Jen... you're just so smart... are you single?

Oh Jen... you're just so smart... are you single?

No...I'm not single...I'm very happy with my girlfriend...but thank you.

well, Spano was the 9th or 10th rated "dual threat qb" by rivals in his class.... idk, how he's panned out since he got to campus though.

Gabbert's reported 40 time is .01 seconds faster than WR commit Keeston Terry's 40 by rivals... i'd say its clear that we're headed to a system that involves a quick qb.

As to the speed thing, my opinion is unless you want to run a spread option offense (which we don't), the less your quarterback HAS to run, the better. Little Gab has enough of a motor to break for ten if a gaping hole opens in the pocket, and he could elude pressure and occasionally run the zone read. From all I've been hearing and reading, Watson was high on him because he has good mechanics, he's a solid game manager, and he can make most any throw.

But let's not fool ourselves. If Tyler plays much at all it isn't going to be four a couple years, assuming Green is still our QB of the future. He could develop a lot between now and then. I'm pretty sure Watson wouldn't read these posts about a dual threat QB, put down his coffee, and go, "Well sh#t. I didn't think of that."