QB Tyler Gabbert

What I see as troublesome is the fact Gabbert has Pelini by the short hairs. We promised only one qb for this recruiting class, BP has held to that promise but come Dec and this kid backs out were F'''ED.

I went through the recruiting thing, yes it was 16 years ago and has change immensly and I have no problem with a kid changing his mind but at least do it in a way that allows both sides to move on.

Good luck to Tyler regardless of what happens. Pinkel is a snake and this wont be over until either Tyler tells Pinkel to move on or we get his signature

actually, it's pretty simple. the coaches just tell tyler (or any other "commit") that if they continue to flirt with other schools, they will no longer be considered a commit and our recruiting strategy will adjust accordingly. in other words, if he starts seeing other schools, we start seeing other quarterbacks. that doesn't necessarily mean we drop him, just that we consider our QB slot to still be open for the first guy that truly commits. would it hurt us if he decommitted? sure, but it's not like we don't have options too and it's better to get this sorted out earlier than later.

one of the problems with the modern obsession with recruiting is the perception that the recruits are so gloriously important that they shake the foundations of these huge programs that are at their mercy. NU seems to be taking the right approach that we will win with or without you. if you want to join us and win with us, great, get on board, but we're not making any promises of playing time or any other snake oil sale jobs that will poison team morale down the road. if a kid doesn't like it, we'll find someone with the right kind of attitude who will come in, keep his head down and work his tail off.

Can someone with a Rivals premium account tell us what exactly Tyler said to John Talman?

He is still committed. Mizzou has stepped it up now that they can call. He talks to them about once a week and talks to Watson about once a week.

Quote:

"Nothing heavily, you know in terms of really very interested," Gabbert explained. "I'm still looking at them a little bit. They've been stepping things up the last couple of weeks. With them being able to make calls now, I get calls from them once a week.

I think we are OK on this one.

thx skers.... :thumbs

As I read Rivals and Scout and even here, one of the most discouraging things I read are comments of, "Well if he leaves, no prob. I didn't think he was that great anyway."

Look, the coaches thought enough of him to offer him a schollie. That makes him valuable and suited (potentially) for the job. To act like a jilted date is just stupid. Personally, after reading as much as I can I think he stays NU. But you better believe that Wats is making sure, right now, that NU knows where the young man stands. If he is waffling, Sean Robbie is getting a schollie offer and Ty's is being pulled. The two are different physical specimens and bring different things to the table, but TG was good enuf for most folks before this latest drama erupted. He's good enuf now.

i haven't seen that but i don't go to rivals because i hate the posters there, but please i know it's hard but don't use internet lingo, you are not 31337

I'll make a deal with u. I'll stop using i-net lingo if you use your caps lock key.

What I see as troublesome is the fact Gabbert has Pelini by the short hairs. We promised only one qb for this recruiting class, BP has held to that promise but come Dec and this kid backs out were F'''ED.

I went through the recruiting thing, yes it was 16 years ago and has change immensly and I have no problem with a kid changing his mind but at least do it in a way that allows both sides to move on.

Good luck to Tyler regardless of what happens. Pinkel is a snake and this wont be over until either Tyler tells Pinkel to move on or we get his signature

actually, it's pretty simple. the coaches just tell tyler (or any other "commit") that if they continue to flirt with other schools, they will no longer be considered a commit and our recruiting strategy will adjust accordingly. in other words, if he starts seeing other schools, we start seeing other quarterbacks. that doesn't necessarily mean we drop him, just that we consider our QB slot to still be open for the first guy that truly commits. would it hurt us if he decommitted? sure, but it's not like we don't have options too and it's better to get this sorted out earlier than later.

Mack Brown tells kids "don't commit until you're ready, but once you commit, no more visits or talking to other schools or we'll pull your offer."

Texas is obviously in a different recruiting situation than Nebraska though.

OWH said he was at the Tech game for a surprise visit and was sitting with Carter the whole time.

that must have led to the whole... 'diffrent outlook on when his decision may be after this week' plus the news of giving the visit a 10 doesnt hurt either... looks like gabbert might have helped seal the deal for us on this one.....

OWH said he was at the Tech game for a surprise visit and was sitting with Carter the whole time.

that must have led to the whole... 'diffrent outlook on when his decision may be after this week' plus the news of giving the visit a 10 doesnt hurt either... looks like gabbert might have helped seal the deal for us on this one.....

i wouldn't get too happy, they still both being recruited by mizzou

Ya I would be pretty pissed if Gabbert knew he was going to commit to Mizzou and just came on a surprise visit to try to lock up Carter. That would be a damn snaky thing to do. Hopefully this means that Gabbert is recruiting for us and if Carter does end up committing that would look good for both Gabbert and Carter. I would hope the odds of Gabbert and Carter pulling a fast one is pretty slim.

Ya I would be pretty pissed if Gabbert knew he was going to commit to Mizzou and just came on a surprise visit to try to lock up Carter. That would be a damn snaky thing to do. Hopefully this means that Gabbert is recruiting for us and if Carter does end up committing that would look good for both Gabbert and Carter. I would hope the odds of Gabbert and Carter pulling a fast one is pretty slim.

hoooo that would be soo sneaky if they like try pull one recruiting visit for mizzou at one Huskers game......

if that ends up being the case i'd be soo pissed i'd fly over and give both some dirty lickns :box:box:box (but i hope that this is not the case) :blink::blink::blink::blink:

• 2 weeks later...

tyler is a good kid and just because he gets calls from mu or anywhere else doesn't mean he is changing anything. having a rough senior year, not vry successful but then he doesn't have much to work with. hopefully going to see him play friday against another team with a high profile recruit. He should end up at nu, why go to mu where your big brother is entrenched as starter? it is always interesting to see what a kid can do when he plays wiht better talent.