QB Tyler Gabbert

Pinkel busted out a chopper to visit Gabbert on Friday Night. Apparently with them kicking off their other QB in fall camp they need another QB. Should be interesting.

From the OWH:

Published Saturday October 3, 2009

The hot seat: Tigers court a second Gabbert

BALLWIN, Mo. — Is that the helicopter?

A light moves through the clouds on a chilly Friday night.

No, that's not it. Seconds later, it's out of sight, far from the football stadium at Parkway West High School in suburban St. Louis.

Advertising

On the field, under much brighter lights, Tyler Gabbert is playing well enough to be Nebraska's only quarterback recruit for the class of 2010.

In the first quarter, he threads three or four tight spirals into the wind, one covering 50 yards and landing in a perfect spot. Not bad for a kid fighting the flu.

On a normal night, Tyler may have sat this one out. But it's homecoming, his backup is hurt and the opponent is one of Missouri's best teams.

Most important, a familiar Big 12 head coach and his assistants are coming to watch. It's almost halftime. They were supposed to be here by now.

Recruiting fanfare is old hat for the Gabberts. Tyler's brother played many Friday nights in front of millionaire coaches.

Blaine originally committed to Nebraska, but turmoil in Lincoln in 2007 swayed him to Mizzou. Now he's the Tigers' starting quarterback, subject of rave reviews as he prepares for his first Big 12 start Thursday — against Nebraska.

Big brother doesn't get to see many of Tyler's games, but he arrives tonight late in the second quarter wearing a black Missouri jacket and a scowl.

Traffic on I-70, he says. Unbelievable.

A few minutes later, with 29.9 seconds on the second-quarter clock, Blaine spots the helicopter.

It cuts through the clouds east of the stadium, circles clockwise over the field once, then twice, just in case anybody missed it.

As the first half expires, the PA announcer says: “Don't forget ladies and gentlemen, a great halftime show ahead.”

On a vacant green space over the hill, the chopper lands.

Out walks Gary Pinkel.

Sibling rivalry

A year and a half ago, Chuck Gabbert ushered his two oldest sons to the Florida Keys. A little fishing. A little relaxation. A break from the competition of daily life.

The Gabberts, accompanied by a local guide, took an 18-foot, flat-bottom boat off Islamorada, where the sharks loiter near the surface, where the calm waters are shallow enough to stand.

“It's like we're living National Geographic,” Chuck says.

But his sons couldn't stop razzing each other: Who was catching the most fish? Who caught the biggest fish? Who could reel one in faster? (Tyler says he won; he hooked an 8-foot, 250-pound shark before releasing it.)

Chuck, a man of quick tongue and hearty laugh, had lived with this kind of thing for 16 years. He had encouraged it even.

But fellas, c'mon, we're on vacation.

Blaine is 6-foot-5, 240 pounds. He could be a Big 12 middle linebacker.

Tyler says he's 6-½, 195, but up close he looks more like 5-11. More like a cornerback.

According to friends, family and coaches, they share at least two quarterback characteristics: a big arm and a relentless will to beat you.

No doubt Blaine has the higher ceiling. He is bigger, stronger and faster than Tyler. You hear about guys who hit the genetic lottery, says Matt Biermann, who coached the Gabbert boys growing up.

That's Blaine.

You have to search a little harder for Tyler's advantages.

His release, that's a little faster than Blaine's. His first step is probably a little quicker. People assume he's a nickel-and-dime, dink-and-dunk passer, Biermann says, but his arm is “freakish.”

And maybe, just maybe, Tyler has a little more sass and toughness, prerequisites for little brothers wanting to compete with big brothers.

Dan Callahan coached Tyler, not Blaine, in youth football. But he's seen enough of both. He says if he had to pick one to accompany him to a foxhole, he'd pick Tyler.

“There's another level Tyler takes his game to in the fourth quarter,” Callahan said. “He just won't quit.”

Like when he was 11 playing against 13-year-olds. Thanksgiving weekend, it was snowing, windy, 18 degrees. Tyler got hit so hard, he cried. He wouldn't come out, though, and his team won 6-0.

Like a month ago, when he led a pair of touchdown drives in the final minutes to beat Ladue 20-16.

Tyler's reputation in St. Louis, however, doesn't match Blaine's.

Duane Hawthorne, who played four years in the NFL, coaches University City High. He coached once against Blaine, three times against Tyler.

Hawthorne sees Blaine as an NFL prospect. But you can find countless quarterbacks of Tyler's size and skill across the nation, he said.

“I feel sorry for the kid, because he's always going to be in the shadow of his big brother,” Hawthorne said.

Parkway West takes a 14-7 lead late in the first quarter when Tyler throws a touchdown pass on third-and-27.

But things go south about the time Blaine arrives. Underdog West gives up 34 unanswered and loses 41-14. Tyler spends much of the second half adding grass stains to his blue jersey.

Blaine's first words for Tyler after the game go something like this: You got killed out there.

He says it with empathy.

Callahan connection

The Gabberts' relationship with Nebraska started in 1989.

Chuck Gabbert's younger brother played at Southern Illinois, which had an offensive coordinator named Bill Callahan.

Twelve years later, Tyler Gabbert, 9, was in Oakland for the national punt, pass and kick competition — he won. Callahan found Raiders tickets for the family.

Oakland played the Dolphins, and Chuck, Blaine and Tyler sat near the Black Hole. Tyler remembers seeing Raider fans sticking sharp objects in stuffed Dolphins.

Hey, it was a playoff game.

In 2005, Blaine attended a Nebraska football camp, starting a courtship that led to a scholarship offer.

Blaine had big plans, but as the Huskers' 2007 season slipped into a state of disaster, Callahan and Shawn Watson told the Gabberts they didn't know if they were going to be fired. Blaine's future clouded quickly.

“That was a nightmare,” Chuck said. “Imagine at 18, everything you know to be true and correct is turned upside down.”

Blaine de-committed from Nebraska, eventually deciding on Mizzou. He watched from afar as Tom Osborne sent Callahan packing.

Callahan and Watson were like family, Chuck said. You don't easily recover from an episode like that.

“I don't know if you ever really get over it,” Chuck said. “It's not something you forget.”

The Gabberts could have tried. But in June, Tyler became the second Gabbert to verbally commit to Nebraska.

He also considered Missouri, which offered him a scholarship.

Tyler said Friday he passed on the Tigers because of “a numbers game.” Mizzou had a lot of quarterbacks.

But in August, Pinkel dismissed freshman quarterback Blaine Dalton from the team. Suddenly, the depth-chart logjam thinned out.

Suddenly, Mizzou offensive coordinator Dave Yost started calling Tyler more often.

Grand entrance

Pinkel's first helicopter barnstorming tour is part of the full-court press.

A friend owns a chopper and Pinkel rode it Friday to recruit prospects in the Bootheel, then Illinois. He returned to Columbia for football practice, then flew to St. Louis, where he planned to stop at four games.

“Little too much Hollywood for me,” Pinkel said. “My mom (who is deceased) would come down and smack me in the head.”

Pinkel makes the grand entrance, but Yost spends more time close to the Gabberts.

On the concourse, where the Gabbert crew stands to watch the game, Mizzou's shaggy-blond coordinator keeps an eye on his phone — the Cardinals are winning — as he hobnobs with Blaine and family friends.

At one point, Yost stands immediately to the left of Blaine; Chuck Gabbert immediately to the right.

Yost is careful not to say too much to Mom or Dad. NCAA recruiting rules dictate that a coach this time of year can evaluate a prospect, but “cannot have any in-person conversations” with a prospect or his parents.

Pinkel also acts with caution. He greets Bev Gabbert at halftime not as Tyler's mom, but as “my starting quarterback's mom.”

“It's kind of weird,” Chuck said.

As for big brother, he tries to stay out of the recruiting process, Tyler said. Blaine's advice: Do what's best for you.

Thursday, Mom and Dad will head to Columbia for Blaine's biggest game yet. The winner of Nebraska-Missouri gains an edge in the fight for Big 12 North supremacy, this season and beyond.

Tyler won't be there. He can't miss school, so he'll be watching the game in his family room, hopefully with a few buddies.

He'll root for Blaine. He'll root for Nebraska.

And the next night, he'll face Rockwood Summit. Another offensive coordinator is scheduled to be there.

He'll be wearing red.

Can someone with a Rivals premium account tell us what exactly Tyler said to John Talman?

He is still committed. Mizzou has stepped it up now that they can call. He talks to them about once a week and talks to Watson about once a week.

Quote:

"Nothing heavily, you know in terms of really very interested," Gabbert explained. "I'm still looking at them a little bit. They've been stepping things up the last couple of weeks. With them being able to make calls now, I get calls from them once a week.

I think we are OK on this one.

Can someone with a Rivals premium account tell us what exactly Tyler said to John Talman?

He is still committed. Mizzou has stepped it up now that they can call. He talks to them about once a week and talks to Watson about once a week.

Quote:

"Nothing heavily, you know in terms of really very interested," Gabbert explained. "I'm still looking at them a little bit. They've been stepping things up the last couple of weeks. With them being able to make calls now, I get calls from them once a week.

thx skers.... :thumbs

Quote:

As I read Rivals and Scout and even here, one of the most discouraging things I read are comments of, "Well if he leaves, no prob. I didn't think he was that great anyway."

Look, the coaches thought enough of him to offer him a schollie. That makes him valuable and suited (potentially) for the job. To act like a jilted date is just stupid. Personally, after reading as much as I can I think he stays NU. But you better believe that Wats is making sure, right now, that NU knows where the young man stands. If he is waffling, Sean Robbie is getting a schollie offer and Ty's is being pulled. The two are different physical specimens and bring different things to the table, but TG was good enuf for most folks before this latest drama erupted. He's good enuf now.

Quote:

As I read Rivals and Scout and even here, one of the most discouraging things I read are comments of, "Well if he leaves, no prob. I didn't think he was that great anyway."

Look, the coaches thought enough of him to offer him a schollie. That makes him valuable and suited (potentially) for the job. To act like a jilted date is just stupid. Personally, after reading as much as I can I think he stays NU. But you better believe that Wats is making sure, right now, that NU knows where the young man stands. If he is waffling, Sean Robbie is getting a schollie offer and Ty's is being pulled. The two are different physical specimens and bring different things to the table, but TG was good enuf for most folks before this latest drama erupted. He's good enuf now.

i haven't seen that but i don't go to rivals because i hate the posters there, but please i know it's hard but don't use internet lingo, you are not 31337

What I see as troublesome is the fact Gabbert has Pelini by the short hairs. We promised only one qb for this recruiting class, BP has held to that promise but come Dec and this kid backs out were F'''ED.

I went through the recruiting thing, yes it was 16 years ago and has change immensly and I have no problem with a kid changing his mind but at least do it in a way that allows both sides to move on.

Good luck to Tyler regardless of what happens. Pinkel is a snake and this wont be over until either Tyler tells Pinkel to move on or we get his signature