Cosgrove criticizes the Nebraska fan base

Husker-Joe

Besides a Husker fan, I am also a Gopher fan, coming from the great state of Minnesota. Yes, the Gophs are perennial losers, and it's hard, at times, to stay a fan when you don't see any progress in the program. The hiring of Cosgrove as CO-defensive coordinator was troubling to me. However, the Big 10 is different conference. Cosgrove was confounded by spread offenses, and he will see less of that in the Big 10. Also, he not THE defensive coordinator. Brewster was smart enough not to give him full reign of the defensive. I'm just glad that Cosgrove is not with the Huskers any more. The picture that I get of Cosgrove is the one in which he left Memorial Stadium in tears (was if after the KU game?) because that game was the deciding factor in the termination of both him and Cally, according to T.O.. I was astounded that the man could not compose himself. Sorry about all the hate from the fans, though. He and his family should not have had to endure that. Here's hoping for Cosgrove to find a better home in Minnesota and to find some success there.

:yeah

I also thought he may have a better chance in the Big-10, not having to go up against the high power offense, that most Big-12 teams have. I can only think of a couple he will have to face in that conference. It will help that if things go bad for the Gopher's, that he was not not solely in charge of the 'D", and have to take all the heat, but I am sure it will still come up, on how he did here.

I wish him the best of luck, and I am very glad he is no longer a coach at Nebraska.

GBR!!!

GBR!!!

I think we are being very generous calling Cosgrove a coach. You can't tell me the players learned anything under his reign except how to make excuses. I'm still mad they played Potter as a freshman to block field goals. That confirms right there a total lack of intelligence.

Had Potter not played that year, they probably lost 2 more games(Pitt and KSU) and that meant another 5-6 record. Playing Potter for those situations may have ultimately extended their stay in Lincoln.

Besides a Husker fan, I am also a Gopher fan, coming from the great state of Minnesota. Yes, the Gophs are perennial losers, and it's hard, at times, to stay a fan when you don't see any progress in the program. The hiring of Cosgrove as CO-defensive coordinator was troubling to me. However, the Big 10 is different conference. Cosgrove was confounded by spread offenses, and he will see less of that in the Big 10. Also, he not THE defensive coordinator. Brewster was smart enough not to give him full reign of the defensive. I'm just glad that Cosgrove is not with the Huskers any more. The picture that I get of Cosgrove is the one in which he left Memorial Stadium in tears (was if after the KU game?) because that game was the deciding factor in the termination of both him and Cally, according to T.O.. I was astounded that the man could not compose himself. Sorry about all the hate from the fans, though. He and his family should not have had to endure that. Here's hoping for Cosgrove to find a better home in Minnesota and to find some success there.

I thought the line in the article about spending the year studying trends in college football was pretty telling.

Hey Silent Commit, the Gophers aren't really supposed to be known for football anyways are they? I'm a DU alumn and when I hear Gophers I think of a bunch of huge scandanavian and nordic kids and a badass hockey team.

WCHA hockey = SEC football!

You have to remember that he did coach at Wisconsin and the Badger fans were not sad seeing him leave. I too live in MN and go to some of the games....their defense has always sucked, they did make some progress this year, but they could not finish the year. The pressures of football up here are not what they are like at NU. The Golden Showers have done nothing in the last 50+ years so any type of improvement people get pretty excited up here. I have friends who coach high school ball up here, are alumni, and also have season tickets and they are not too excited about Coz, let alone Brewster.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see how he does up here. There should not be any death threats to his family....which is horrible that they came from the NU fans!

You have to remember that he did coach at Wisconsin and the Badger fans were not sad seeing him leave. I too live in MN and go to some of the games....their defense has always sucked, they did make some progress this year, but they could not finish the year. The pressures of football up here are not what they are like at NU. The Golden Showers have done nothing in the last 50+ years so any type of improvement people get pretty excited up here. I have friends who coach high school ball up here, are alumni, and also have season tickets and they are not too excited about Coz, let alone Brewster.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see how he does up here. There should not be any death threats to his family....which is horrible that they came from the NU fans!

I'velived in MN also and my step-dad has had season tix for 35 years and he's not happy about this hire either. cosgrove thinks he's heard negativity wait until Sid Hartman on WCCO starts beating him down every sunday morning on his radio show.

Coz is not a tool. Get over it - he didn't end up doing well here, and that's something plenty of coaches do at plenty of schools. The kind of $hit he endured from the fans is more than ANY coach should EVER go through. He and his family deserve better. From the self-appointed "classiest fans in college football" at that.

You couldn't be any more wrong than if you tried. He is tool, he got what he got less than what he deserved, and we are the classiest fans in all of sports.

By the tone of your post one would assume you are a Cozbohl family member.

Coz is not a tool. Get over it - he didn't end up doing well here, and that's something plenty of coaches do at plenty of schools. The kind of $hit he endured from the fans is more than ANY coach should EVER go through. He and his family deserve better. From the self-appointed "classiest fans in college football" at that.

You couldn't be any more wrong than if you tried. He is tool, he got what he got less than what he deserved, and we are the classiest fans in all of sports.

Apparently you are not aware of what some of these "classiest fans" were doing to him and his family. COMPLETELY unwarranted. For example. So you'll forgive him if he doesn't think too highly of Husker fans based on some bad experiences.

I will give you that he may be an incompetent coach. But a tool? No. Honestly I don't know how anyone expects him to be responding to all the negativity (which is a very mild way of putting it) he received in '07 by apologizing and saying it was his fault. He's the one that deserves an apology.

We have Bo Pelini now, you'd think people can move past personal attacks on previous coaches because they didn't perform. Because that is REAL classy.

Apparently you are not aware of what some of these "classiest fans" were doing to him and his family. COMPLETELY unwarranted. For example. So you'll forgive him if he doesn't think too highly of Husker fans based on some bad experiences.

I will give you that he may be an incompetent coach. But a tool? No. Honestly I don't know how anyone expects him to be responding to all the negativity (which is a very mild way of putting it) he received in '07 by apologizing and saying it was his fault. He's the one that deserves an apology.

We have Bo Pelini now, you'd think people can move past personal attacks on previous coaches because they didn't perform. Because that is REAL classy.

I don't think anybody is not aware of the situation. We are reminded it of all the time and it seems that everybody wants to throw it in Nebraska fans' faces and make it sound like we are horrible rotten people.

How should he respond to the negativity? Admit his mistakes at Nebraska and move on. Don't act like it was the fans' fault that they were one of the worst defensive teams in the nation. Get another job that's a better fit for you and stop speaking ill of the university and its fan base.

The "tool" status in my opinion is that for reason only and has nothing to do with his poor coaching performance.

The only apology he deserves is from the individuals who made his last year at Nebraska more miserable.

I don't give a F**K about class - HE SUCKED BALLS AS A COACH!!!!!!!

I guess we can agree to disagree. From our standpoint as fans, we see it as "there are a few rotten apples, but that's not us." And that's right _ I am not calling anyone here classless.

But what Coz saw and went through is not that. The experience he (and his wife and kids) had from the Nebraska fans was constant heckling, threatening phone calls, etc. He is making comments now for the first time about that experience. He should respond by admitting mistakes? I don't know. Anyone in their right mind in his position would be more than a little peeved at the treatment they received.

I don't give a F**K about class - HE SUCKED BALLS AS A COACH!!!!!!!

Well there you go then :)

Although I am not a fan of Cosgrove, threatening is family is way out of line. Whoever did that was a classless, sob. No need to threaten a man's family. Get a life.

As for his defense MY GOD!!! We became soft, and I tell you what.....I can't get that Tech game in Lubbock out of my head. Rush 3, drop 8. I still have nightmares.

Him and Callahan ruined the program.

Question for the room... I know it may have already been discussed, but I have been out for a while. But, I did watch lucky in the shrine game. I was shocked at how he looked. Explosive, fast, etc. Was he happy at Nebraska? Did we misuse his talents? I mean, constant substitution and this offense was a little fancy. Maybe we need to get back to pounding the ball. No fancy schmancy shifting during the shrine game. They just lined up and played ball.

Your thoughts please......

Although I am not a fan of Cosgrove, threatening is family is way out of line. Whoever did that was a classless, sob. No need to threaten a man's family. Get a life.

As for his defense MY GOD!!! We became soft, and I tell you what.....I can't get that Tech game in Lubbock out of my head. Rush 3, drop 8. I still have nightmares.

Him and Callahan ruined the program.

Question for the room... I know it may have already been discussed, but I have been out for a while. But, I did watch lucky in the shrine game. I was shocked at how he looked. Explosive, fast, etc. Was he happy at Nebraska? Did we misuse his talents? I mean, constant substitution and this offense was a little fancy. Maybe we need to get back to pounding the ball. No fancy schmancy shifting during the shrine game. They just lined up and played ball.

Your thoughts please......

My dad bowls with his uncle out here in CA - ML ended up hating callahan but was good with pelini, problem was he was hurt most of the season.