DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa

The following is a recap of what Rick Kimbrel (the guy who wrote the most recent Rivals article on Owa putting OSU back in his top 3) has to say about Owa's status on the UCLA Rivals page (BruinBlitz).

He says that word was Owa was all set to commit to UCLA before Christmas. Owa apparently even told current Bruins DE Datone Jones that when he was in Lincoln all he could think about was UCLA (I guess this is UCLA's version of our textgate). Kimbrel says that things changed since then in large part because of the play of Suh. He also suspects there has been some serious negative recruiting going on against coach Neuheisel (not necessarily against the school itself though, interestingly). He doesn't make any prediction as to whom Owa will choose.

I seem to remember Owa or someone making a comment about how Nebraska's staff is refreshing in that they don't do any negative recruiting and just talk about the positives of Nebraska's program. And so if Kimbrel is correct about the negative recruiting thing, I'm guessing it must have come from Chip Kelly, which would make sense since these coaches battle each other for many of their recruits.

Edit: In response to a reader's post at the end of the article, Kimbrel says that he likes UCLA's chances since Owa thought UCLA had the best trip and the best academics.

• Fire 1

dedhoarse So this is my first post on huskerboard. I have been reading the Owa pages for a few weeks and just decided to throw in my own two cents. IMO a lot of us thought we had at least a silent commit from owa by sunday night (I actually was throwing out high fives during the saints game). I don't think we were wrong by believing that we just have to understand that we may be in the lead it's just not a for sure thing yet. I was dumb enough to add Owa on facebook just like a lot of people were but I did it before i realized people were actually commenting on his wall and he is getting very annoyed by it. I assumed that like me other people adding Owa just did it incase he posted something on his status about his commitment but apparently grown men feel the need to argue with each other and try to convince Owa one way or the other on his wall on a website that most college guys use to pick up girls and keep up with friends from their hometowns. It is rediculous that Owa had to say something about that on his facebook. My gut feeling is that we have a better chance at seeing Cooper and Carnes sign than we do Owa. I would be very very happy if we got Owa and I'm saying we have about a 65% percent chance at this point. dedhoarse

Woah. What did he say? I can't believe those people. Did they think they were impressing him? :facepalm:

Some trolls just don't realize they are trolls. <_< I cringe whenever I see a post on ESPN message board from a so called Huskerfan. In their own way I suspect they are fans, but they have no idea how their actions reflect on the schools they supposedly love.

Getting back to OWA I highly doubt he's using another team to deflect the whining of Oregon fans by putting OSU back in the mix. I couldn't think Oregon fans would lay off if he chose a school that's one of their main rivals.

I would'nt think much of a kid that would get the hopes of a school OSU (coaching staff) if they weren't really in the mix if that's the reason he put them back in. (Meaning he was just using them) <_<

The following is a recap of what Rick Kimbrel (the guy who wrote the most recent Rivals article on Owa putting OSU back in his top 3) has to say about Owa's status on the UCLA Rivals page (BruinBlitz).

He says that word was Owa was all set to commit to UCLA before Christmas. Owa apparently even told current Bruins DE Datone Jones that when he was in Lincoln all he could think about was UCLA (I guess this is UCLA's version of our textgate). Kimbrel says that things changed since then in large part because of the play of Suh. He also suspects there has been some serious negative recruiting going on against coach Neuheisel (not necessarily against the school itself though, interestingly). He doesn't make any prediction as to whom Owa will choose.

I seem to remember Owa or someone making a comment about how Nebraska's staff is refreshing in that they don't do any negative recruiting and just talk about the positives of Nebraska's program. And so if Kimbrel is correct about the negative recruiting thing, I'm guessing it must have come from Chip Kelly, which would make sense since these coaches battle each other for many of their recruits.

Edit: In response to a reader's post at the end of the article, Kimbrel says that he likes UCLA's chances since Owa thought UCLA had the best trip and the best academics.

From a pac 10 blogger. Looks like UCLA has an uphill battle this coming year. NU's D is going to be great.

http://bustersports.com/blog/buster-blog/2010/01/26/pac-10-ucla-bruins-2010-expectations/

From a pac 10 blogger. Looks like UCLA has an uphill battle this coming year. NU's D is going to be great.

http://bustersports.com/blog/buster-blog/2010/01/26/pac-10-ucla-bruins-2010-expectations/

How on earth would any parent send their kid to play for Slick Rick, a man that bets on college athletics??? He also killed 2 programs on his watch, Colorado and Washington.

How the guy is still coaching in the college game shows you what only a lawyer could pull off, disgusting.

How on earth would any parent send their kid to play for Slick Rick, a man that bets on college athletics??? He also killed 2 programs on his watch, Colorado and Washington.

How the guy is still coaching in the college game shows you what only a lawyer could pull off, disgusting.

:yeah

I really hope that Owa doesnt buy any of Slick Rick's snake oil.

dedhoarse So this is my first post on huskerboard. I have been reading the Owa pages for a few weeks and just decided to throw in my own two cents. IMO a lot of us thought we had at least a silent commit from owa by sunday night (I actually was throwing out high fives during the saints game). I don't think we were wrong by believing that we just have to understand that we may be in the lead it's just not a for sure thing yet. I was dumb enough to add Owa on facebook just like a lot of people were but I did it before i realized people were actually commenting on his wall and he is getting very annoyed by it. I assumed that like me other people adding Owa just did it incase he posted something on his status about his commitment but apparently grown men feel the need to argue with each other and try to convince Owa one way or the other on his wall on a website that most college guys use to pick up girls and keep up with friends from their hometowns. It is rediculous that Owa had to say something about that on his facebook. My gut feeling is that we have a better chance at seeing Cooper and Carnes sign than we do Owa. I would be very very happy if we got Owa and I'm saying we have about a 65% percent chance at this point. dedhoarse

Woah. What did he say? I can't believe those people. Did they think they were impressing him? :facepalm:

Some trolls just don't realize they are trolls. <_< I cringe whenever I see a post on ESPN message board from a so called Huskerfan. In their own way I suspect they are fans, but they have no idea how their actions reflect on the schools they supposedly love.

Getting back to OWA I highly doubt he's using another team to deflect the whining of Oregon fans by putting OSU back in the mix. I couldn't think Oregon fans would lay off if he chose a school that's one of their main rivals.

I would'nt think much of a kid that would get the hopes of a school OSU (coaching staff) if they weren't really in the mix if that's the reason he put them back in. (Meaning he was just using them) <_<

This is my shot in the dark perspective. Purely speculative, nothing more.

Another possible theory may be the timing of the UO scandal presently happening at the moment. The timing almost seems too perfect when you think about it. Or is it just a coincidence? We'll never really know, but it's valid to assume such a possibility if you try to correlate the two events.

Last night he had UO in his Top 3. Suddenly news breaks out that some high profile UO players were involved in some criminal activity at a frat house, while one player is also in critical condition. I imagine Owa's mother pulled him to the side and said "UO is officially OUT."

UO is now focusing on an on-going investigation and tending to a player hospitalized in critical condition. In other words, they're busy with PR damage control at the moment.

This also leaves UO's undecided commits ripe for the picking. OSU and any other Pac-10 school are probably using the scandal to their advantage to try and sway the undecided's to look their way at the last minute. Which possibly leads to OSU trying to get back in with Owa again.

I also read that Owa is taking final exams this week. The last thing he needs is OSU and OSU fans in his area calling him and trying to put pressure on him in the final week of recruiting. Therefore it'd make sense to go ahead and throw OSU back in the mix to keep the locals happy and off his back for at least a week, while UO tries to manage their off-the-field PR disaster.

Of course Owa and his coach are going to tell the media that "all 3 schools are tied" because there's still a week left until LOI day. If he were to declare his choice today, then those other 2 schools would put the full-court press on him heading into Feb. 3rd. And since he's busy with finals this week, he can't afford the distractions that come along with such a scenario. Therefore he's playing it smart and safe.

Personally, I don't think OSU would be under consideration this week if UO wasn't hit with this scandal.

• Fire 1

This looks like the same old tired story. Like it or not, Owa is savoring the attention to some degree. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but let's not continue to paint it like he doesn't want any attention/recognition... because he is announcing at his high school on signing day as opposed to just telling the press over the phones before then and getting it over with.

Nebraska came close, but in the end location (whether it be close-to-home or the big warm beach city) and manipulative recruiting almost always beat out great football tradition and a more honest, no-nonsense recruiting approach. Nebraska is the great, handsome, hard-working guy who just isn't ever quite exotic, charming, mysterious or clever enough to nab the ridiculously hot girl.

Good luck to Owa at UCLA or Oregon St. I do think he'll have some regret down the road, because Nebraska seems poised to become a special football program in the very near future, while UCLA is stuck at average and Oregon St. will continue to play third fiddle to USC and Oregon more years than not.

• Fire 2

This looks like the same old tired story. I'm afraid, like it or not, Owa is savoring the attention to some degree. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but let's not continue to paint it like he doesn't want any attention/recognition... because he is announcing at his high school on signing day as opposed to just telling the press over the phones before then and getting it over with.

Nebraska came close, but in the end location (whether it be close-to-home or the big warm beach city) and manipulative recruiting almost always beat out great football tradition and a more honest, no-nonsense recruiting approach. Nebraska is the great, handsome, hard-working guy who just isn't ever quite exotic, charming, mysterious or clever enough to nab the ridiculously hot girl.

Good luck to Owa at UCLA or Oregon St. I do think he'll have some regret down the road, because Nebraska seems poised to become a special football program in the very near future, while UCLA is stuck at average and Oregon St. will continue to play third fiddle to USC and Oregon more years than not.

We're not getting Owa this recruiting class. Yea he thinks Neb would be a decent fit but not the right fit- he'll settle on OSU or UCLA.