Matthew May

glm09

What will this kids role be? He is a sprinting champion from high school, yet coaches thought he was big enough and violent enough to play linebacker during this last season. Word is that he one of the strongest pound for pound guys on the team.

Will we see him at LB again next year, and if so, will he see the field? maybe an awesome safety with that speed and strength since I see that as more of a need than LB on the depth chart?

This is one kid i think is going to make a huge impact before his time is done. He is one of the few freshman to see the field last year, and it wasn't on special teams.

I predict he will start on defense some time before his senior year.

I look for him to be moved around quite a bit during his stay here at Nebraska. With all of those redshirted linebackers getting action next year, I don't see him lining up at linebacker, so safety is probally the next step. However, we have quite a few players there already. So it could be interesting to see what happens.

What will this kids role be? He is a sprinting champion from high school, yet coaches thought he was big enough and violent enough to play linebacker during this last season. Word is that he one of the strongest pound for pound guys on the team.

Will we see him at LB again next year, and if so, will he see the field? maybe an awesome safety with that speed and strength since I see that as more of a need than LB on the depth chart?

This is one kid i think is going to make a huge impact before his time is done. He is one of the few freshman to see the field last year, and it wasn't on special teams.

I predict he will start on defense some time before his senior year.

With the influx of talent at the LB spot from the RS class and this past class I doubt that May starts as a LB at NU.I do however expect him to play a huge role as a special teams guy over the next 3 years.Guys like him and Holt and Thorrell were decent stop gap guys who got quality pt because the coaches decided to RS the majority of their incoming freshman.With those guys playing now Im not sure you will ever see them start at anything other than special teams.One guy mentioned special packages on defense which is possible but thats about it imo.

These guys are solid walk on types who could fill in during the pinch but I think thats about as much as I would expext from them.When you add guys like Fisher,Compton,Whaley,Williams,and Martin at LB.As well as guys like Osborne,Smith,Green,Washington,Middleton,Martinez and Dennard(even though he played last year),and Gomes at DB Id say it will be hard for those guys to ever start at NU.That doesnt mean its not possible but I think injuries would have to pile up at some positions for these guys to ever START at NU.

Id be completely satisfied if guys like may Holt and Thorrel became mainstays on special teams.They obviously have the heart as well as the size,speed and work ethic to help the team in that capacity.These guys could be very valuable members of the team if THAT became their main jobs.Think about how guys like Thenarse,Rigoni and an old name like Lance "bullethead" Gray were factors on special teams.If these guys could become THOSE types of special teams players Id be thrilled.You have to take pride in it and approach with intensity and aggressiveness.THATs what made those other guys great Special teams players.After next year Ricky Thenarse will be gone and we could use some guys to take those type roles.Especially guys who may not become starters.Id love to see Mason Wald in this same capacity as well as Ricky for this last year.

I find it interesting that so many people want more speed on defense, but the fastest LB on the team is a walk-on (May) so some of these same people don't think he'll be a starter or significant contributor. I think there's a reason those schollie LB's stayed redshirted - May and Holt are good players. I think May will end up in the 2 deep this fall at WLB with a definite chance to be the starter.

I find it interesting that so many people want more speed on defense, but the fastest LB on the team is a walk-on (May) so some of these same people don't think he'll be a starter or significant contributor. I think there's a reason those schollie LB's stayed redshirted - May and Holt are good players. I think May will end up in the 2 deep this fall at WLB with a definite chance to be the starter.

May reminds me a lot of Scott Connot from Spencer. Connot went on to star at South Dakota State as a safety. After college, he was invited to a tryout with the Chiefs. He measured in at 6'2 217 and ran a 4.43. He spent 3 seasons on their practice squad as a Safety and was a differnce maker in NFL Europe.

Guys like Connot are the type of athletes Nebraska needs to sign as walk-ons. You can win a lot of games with future NFL practice squad players as either depth or upperclassmen starters.

Don't get me wrong, you need guys who will become NFL draft picks to win championships, but walk-ons who can sniff the NFL are imperative to Nebraska.

May reminds me a lot of Scott Connot from Spencer. Connot went on to star at South Dakota State as a safety. After college, he was invited to a tryout with the Chiefs. He measured in at 6'2 217 and ran a 4.43. He spent 3 seasons on their practice squad as a Safety and was a differnce maker in NFL Europe.

Guys like Connot are the type of athletes Nebraska needs to sign as walk-ons. You can win a lot of games with future NFL practice squad players as either depth or upperclassmen starters.

Don't get me wrong, you need guys who will become NFL draft picks to win championships, but walk-ons who can sniff the NFL are imperative to Nebraska.

That, sir, is a well thought spot on post.

Bravo my man.

:clap:clap

I dont really have an opinion if he starts. But when annoucers say and NU has 2 walk-ons starting today, it makes NU seems untalented. And for the people who dont want to start it is because if football you just dont run, you have to do other things such as tackling ;) . So even if they want speed May may not be the best guy, because obviously if he was good enough Bo would have gave him a scholarship.

I dont really have an opinion if he starts. But when annoucers say and NU has 2 walk-ons starting today, it makes NU seems untalented. And for the people who dont want to start it is because if football you just dont run, you have to do other things such as tackling ;) . So even if they want speed May may not be the best guy, because obviously if he was good enough Bo would have gave him a scholarship.

Or he would give that scholarship to a Texas kid knowing full well if he asks almost any kid in Nebraska to walk on they would in a heart beat.

:wacko:

So, when Nebraska was kicking butt on a regular basis with upper classmen walk-ons as starters and helping stack the 2 and 3 deep, we seemed weak?????

And, the answer is to make sure our walk-ons are so sorry that they'll never challenge a scholarship athlete for playing time. That way the announcers won't have to announce a walk-on's name and make us sound weak?

Having excellent walk-ons isn't a sign of weakness, its a sign of strength. If a walk-on cracks the 2 deep, he typically was awarded a scholarship. 1) if he has a scholarship 2) if he is playing ahead of another scholarship player 3) then he is not a underskilled piece of meat