Top 5 "worst Husker moments" in the modern era

1. Beat down in Lubbock, 70-10, in 2004

2. Firing a head coach who had better than a 75% winning percentage (Solich) in 2003.

3. Offering the head coaching job to Houston Nutt, of all people, WHO THEN TURNED IT DOWN (ouch, that hurt!)

4. Hiring Bill Callahan (the official beginning of the dark years).

5. The beat down at the Rose Bowl (one could argue that this was the beginning of the dark years), that occurred in January 2002.

Bonus: The beat down at Colorado in 2001, which may well have precipitated numbers 5, 2, 4, and 1.

2. Firing a head coach who had better than a 75% winning percentage (Solich) in 2003.

3. Offering the head coaching job to Houston Nutt, of all people, WHO THEN TURNED IT DOWN (ouch, that hurt!)

5. The beat down at the Rose Bowl (one could argue that this was the beginning of the dark years), that occurred in January 2002.

Bonus: The beat down at Colorado in 2001, which may well have precipitated numbers 5, 2, 4, and 1.

Note: Frank Solich, and I'm not trying to dedhoarse again but he needed to be fired. The mistake Steve Pederson made was not doing after the 7-7 season.

To the point of the thread, my 5 worst Husker moments...

5. Losing to FSU in the 1994 Orange Bowl after clearly out-playing them all game long...damn referees.

4. Tommie Frazier not winning the Heisman.

3. Brook Berringer's death.

2. Losing to Missery...in Lincoln last year.

1. I'll lump '04-'07 into one horrifying ordeal.

Referring to Jen's list...

Tommie Frazier not winning the Heisman is why they need to do the Heisman Trophy Presentation after all the bowl games are done. I mean come on, how many players would have gotten what they deserved after a great performance in a bowl game? I do realize, however, that Crouch probably wouldn't have won the Heisman and it probably would have gone to Grossman because Grossman had a very nice bowl game.

But still, the Heisman Trophy is supposed to be there to award the best player from that season. The season isn't just limited to the non-conference and conference games, it is everything. It seems wacked out to me. :wacko:

Tommie Frazier not winning the Heisman is why they need to do the Heisman Trophy Presentation after all the bowl games are done. I mean come on, how many players would have gotten what they deserved after a great performance in a bowl game? I do realize, however, that Crouch probably wouldn't have won the Heisman and it probably would have gone to Grossman because Grossman had a very nice bowl game.

But still, the Heisman Trophy is supposed to be there to award the best player from that season. The season isn't just limited to the non-conference and conference games, it is everything. It seems wacked out to me. :wacko:

Your argument seems contradictory to me. The award is supposed to be given to the best player from the season, but you want them to wait because they might have a good bowl game which somehow is more important than all of the regular season games?

To me, there are two very different types of bad games/moments. The heartbreaking moments when the team gives a great effort but falls just short, and the embarrassing moments when the effort doesn't seem to be there, or the team just gets destroyed.

I will keep them in separate lists.

Worst heartbreakers:

5. I can't decide between '99 Texas, '96 Texas and '08 Texas Tech. All three were pretty rough.

4. Texas Tech 34, Nebraska 31 (10.8.05): LeKevin Smith. I'd rather not get into it.

3. Texas 22, Nebraska 20 (11.21.06): I was at this game. Texas was ranked #5. Weather was really sh**ty which helped the crowd get nuts (something about a good blizzard or pouring rain helps people lose their social inhibitions... a good gameday substitute for alcohol). Up 20-19 late in the fourth, Terrance Nunn catches a quick slant for a first down that would have allowed us to run out the clock and win the game, but fumbles and Texas recovers to set up for the game winning field goal.

2. Texas 27, Nebraska 24 (11.2.02): I was at this game too. We were coming off an amazing comeback road win against A&M, and a win over #7 Texas would have completely turned the season around. We played them neck and neck the whole way. Groce had a nice return to set us up for a game-tying field goal late in the fourth quarter. We played it aggressively and went for the win, but Nathan Vasher read the corner route at the goalline perfectly and stomped on our hearts. Brutal.

1. Florida State 18, Nebraska 16 (1.1.94): I was ten and this was the first Husker game I really got into. Watched it with my dad and cried my eyes out when we lost. Devastating.

Most embarrassing games:

5. Miami 37, Nebraska 14 (1.2.02): I had my rose-colored glasses on and a big 32-ounce Kool-Aid by my side, but we were just so overmatched.

4. Colorado 62, Nebraska 36 (11.23.01): I really don't like Colorado. But they were pretty damn good that year. Were were down 35-3 before we even knew what hit us. Real ugly experience.

3. Missouri 52, Nebraska 17 (10.4.08): Such high expectations for this game. Went with my cousin and found tickets for around $80 a piece (which was a pretty good price for that game). Our defense just couldn't keep up with anyone. A very painful experience.

2. 2007 is sort of a blur. There were several games where we were just utterly helpless, so I'd have to say this is a tie between '07 Oklahoma State, '07 Kansas and '07 Missouri. I would really prefer not to try to recall any further details.

1. Texas Tech 70, Nebraska 10 (10.9.04): Inexcusable, pathetic, ugly. Never ever did I think I would see anything like it.

Those would have to be mine...maybe not in that order...

:yeah

I was crushed when we missed the 2 point conversion in 1984. I suffered through the 70-10 beat down, and the embarrassment in Austin the year before. Watching Switzer's Sooner magic was awful. The bowl loss streak, many of them blowouts, in the late 80s and early 90s, and then the 2002 Orange Bowls were no fun. The blowout losses hit me worse than last second losses because it showed how far off we were.

But nothing hit me like hearing that Berringer died in a plane crash.

The whole Solich thing is one of the better moments not one of the saddest. If Solich were still here we would be in the same position we were in 2 years ago, only we would have no chance of a brighter future.

We have that chance today. Solich needed fired, it was the one and only good thing Pedey did

Your argument seems contradictory to me. The award is supposed to be given to the best player from the season, but you want them to wait because they might have a good bowl game which somehow is more important than all of the regular season games?

I'll explain a little more, but I'm not sure I see the contradiction.

I want the entire season to be taken into consideration, including the bowl game. Take the 1995-96 season, for example. Tommie Frazier came in second behind Eddie George. They both went to their respective bowl games, and Eddie George had a lackluster performance while Tommie Frazier put on arguably the best performance of his life. If the Heisman presentation had been done after the bowl games (including the NC), then the guy who played the best after the entire season had finished would have won, because that would have been Frazier.

I don't think the bowl game is more important than the season, I just think the bowl game should be considered because it technically is part of the season.

:yeah

I was crushed when we missed the 2 point conversion in 1984. I suffered through the 70-10 beat down, and the embarrassment in Austin the year before. Watching Switzer's Sooner magic was awful. The bowl loss streak, many of them blowouts, in the late 80s and early 90s, and then the 2002 Orange Bowls were no fun. The blowout losses hit me worse than last second losses because it showed how far off we were.

But nothing hit me like hearing that Berringer died in a plane crash.

Finally, someone mentions the 84' Orange Bowl. We were supposed to be unbeatable, and Miami was still a nobody at that point, so to me that is by far the most painfull loss ever. Plus, even growing up in Lincoln, I was never really into Husker football, until that year when I was in 7th grade, so it was a big let down.

1 - Nebraska vs miami - Orange Bowl loss - I can still remember crying in front of the tv.

2 - Nebraska vs florida state - Orange Bowl loss - The ref's did a number on us that night.

3 - frank solich's hiring - Didn't take him long to F everything up.

4 - Nebraska vs colorado - 2001 loss - see # 3 enough said!!!!

5 - steve pederson / bill callahan era - WORST 4 years of my life as a HUSKER fan!!!!

I'm going to limit this to games. In no particular order.

1. Loss to Miami in Orange Bowl after 1983 season. That was a GREAT team, just a little short on defense, playing in the sandbox in neutral Miami Florida, didn't help.

2. Loss to Alabama in Orange Bowl following 1965 season. That would have given Devaney a NC in his 4th year.

3. T.O. going 1-8 vs Oklahoma in his first 8 seasons.

4. Loss to Mizzu after finally beating Oklahoma in 1978

5. Loss to FSU in Orange Bowl after 1993 season.

6. Loss to Penn St. in 1982. NU should have been undefeated NCs in 82 & 83.

I know thats more than 5, better quit there are more but am getting all worked up now.

1998 loss to Texas that ended home win streak. argh, now I feel like drinking.

post-4426-1239297334.jpg