Niles Paul..what's next?

he was suspended because he was pulled over for DUI....

Okay, now I remember. Sorry, I was feeling very American and didn't feel like looking it up.

Well, let's hope he has learned his lesson and he focuses on football now. He really needs to take part in the 7 on 7's to build that chemistry with Lee. Let's hope he is able to do this.

I hope the young man is embarrassed, ashamed, and truly sorry for his infraction. I'm sure he is quite a bit lighter in the wallet and will in all probability have to do some community service. Let's hope he has learned his lesson.

T_O_B

Has he went to court?

If he hasn't it is not over. The comment was they would let the legal system run its course I thought.

I thought the date was mid June, but could be wrong.

But of course we need him on the field.

Never mind that as of this minute 4432 people have died so far this year due to drunk driving, most likely higher now, as someone dies every 40 minutes from it.

One insignicant game for the utter stupidity he displayed is a joke.

here we go again....

:yeah

Yes, we understand that Driving under the Influence of Alcohol is a terrible and idiotic thing to do.. And i sympathize with you for having to have gone through the suffering that must follow this type of tragedy.. That said, Niles didn't kill anyone. He didn't even wreck into anything or anyone.. There is no reason to kill him because he did something stupid. Nobody was hurt. He should feel lucky because something terrible could of happened and his life would be as good as done.. There is a reason that when someone is killed during a drunk driving accident there are other charges than a DUI. DUI in and of itself is not nearly as bad as when something worse happens....

Are you down at the courthouse every day telling everyone that gets a DUI how idiotic they are? How about people that smoke? 2nd hand smoke is a bigger killer than drunk driving isn't it?... Shouldn't they be punished accordingly? Give me a break.....

Has he went to court?

If he hasn't it is not over. The comment was they would let the legal system run its course I thought.

I thought the date was mid June, but could be wrong.

But of course we need him on the field.

Never mind that as of this minute 4432 people have died so far this year due to drunk driving, most likely higher now, as someone dies every 40 minutes from it.

One insignicant game for the utter stupidity he displayed is a joke.

You're right. What were we thinking? Let's give him the chair. That way he'll never drink and drive again.

Gentlemen,

The day will come when you understand. I pray it never does. But 1/3 of us all have that day.

When it happens, remember your words, and how insigifigant the loss is.

Nothing more to say as far as I am concerned. You have your opinions and I have mine.

I pray he learned his lesson. But few that young do if not delt with harshly. I do not feel 1 spring game is enough for the embarassment and jeopardy he placed himself and the University in.

no one is saying that it is not a bad thing, in fact most agree that it is bad.

all we are saying is that making an example out of ONE individual would be a stupid move. if there are going to be stricter policies then they need to be put into place for any future violation, not the current violation.

read over the last thread we had about this as i feel that we all made some very good points that i do not think you read, or if you did then you did not take them into consideration. what you are saying is completely unfair to the student athlete in question as it relates to precident.

I understand completely what you are saying and what others have said.

But we seem to have a lot of this going on. Punishment is obviously not strong enough as every year we have one or two test the system, pay for it and get to play with a slight slap on the wrist. All is forgiven and we move on. If a high profile player was sat, no matter who it is, it would gain the attention of others I think. I have no ax to grind with Niles. But something has to get their attention.

Some times you have to pay more than others for your actions. He was supposed to be a leader, above reproach as some have said. If so then he leads by example.

My initial thoughts were a year after Christianson and Purify, but maybe to harsh, I don't know. I have dealt with this problem in the Marine Corps with young Marines. I found that it took several run ins before it got their attention and some never did understand the cost. When the punishment got too much to bear they seemed to get the message. Some never did. This is not childs play. These are life or death situations that by the grace of god did not end that way. But 50% of teen ageers killed in auto accidents are the result of drinking and driving.

It is very easy to think no big deal, but it is. We were running like chickens with our heads cut off over the Swine flu. Pandemic, one death so far. 30 are killed a day by drunk drivers.

I live in Socal so I very seldom deal with 2nd hand smoke, but I feel just as adamant about it too. I hate coming to the mid west for that very reason. People dying because someone else does not take them into consideration.

I understand you guys are young and still do a lot of partying and think you understand how devastating it is, but until it hits you, you really do not understand the situation. I know he is young kid, but he knew better.

I will be very disappointed if this is the end of it. But if Bo does make changes to the punishments after this I will be happy. But something really needs to be done, if not now, before the next one.

But we seem to have a lot of this going on. Punishment is obviously not strong enough as every year we have one or two test the system, pay for it and get to play with a slight slap on the wrist. All is forgiven and we move on. If a high profile player was sat, no matter who it is, it would gain the attention of others I think. I have no ax to grind with Niles. But something has to get their attention.

Some times you have to pay more than others for your actions. He was supposed to be a leader, above reproach as some have said. If so then he leads by example.

My initial thoughts were a year after Christianson and Purify, but maybe to harsh, I don't know. I have dealt with this problem in the Marine Corps with young Marines. I found that it took several run ins before it got their attention and some never did understand the cost. When the punishment got too much to bear they seemed to get the message. Some never did. This is not childs play. These are life or death situations that by the grace of god did not end that way. But 50% of teen ageers killed in auto accidents are the result of drinking and driving.

It is very easy to think no big deal, but it is. We were running like chickens with our heads cut off over the Swine flu. Pandemic, one death so far. 30 are killed a day by drunk drivers.

I live in Socal so I very seldom deal with 2nd hand smoke, but I feel just as adamant about it too. I hate coming to the mid west for that very reason. People dying because someone else does not take them into consideration.

I understand you guys are young and still do a lot of partying and think you understand how devastating it is, but until it hits you, you really do not understand the situation. I know he is young kid, but he knew better.

I will be very disappointed if this is the end of it. But if Bo does make changes to the punishments after this I will be happy. But something really needs to be done, if not now, before the next one.

skersfan,

I would never want to trivialize your loss, and you're right, this is a serious issue. It happens far too often. But the answer here isn't booting a kid off the football team. First off, we have ridiculous drinking laws in this country. By having the limit at 21 we add a mystique and a draw of rebellion that simply doesn't exist when it's assumed you have wine at every meal. You can die for your country and vote for the most powerful man on earth, but you can't have a beer. This is a root problem, as well as the soft drinking and driving laws at the state level. It isn't Bo's job to change this. Paul didn't kill anyone. He didn't even hit a tree. Kicking him off the team is an absolutely absurd and unarguable punishment. Period. This issue is bigger than a football team.

skersfan,

I would never want to trivialize your loss, and you're right, this is a serious issue. It happens far too often. But the answer here isn't booting a kid off the football team. First off, we have ridiculous drinking laws in this country. By having the limit at 21 we add a mystique and a draw of rebellion that simply doesn't exist when it's assumed you have wine at every meal. You can die for your country and vote for the most powerful man on earth, but you can't have a beer. This is a root problem, as well as the soft drinking and driving laws at the state level. It isn't Bo's job to change this. Paul didn't kill anyone. He didn't even hit a tree. Kicking him off the team is an absolutely absurd and unarguable punishment. Period. This issue is bigger than a football team.

These points pretty much sum it up, Bo is dealing Team justice that is in accord with what the legal system prescribes. You may not agree with it, but it isn't necessarily up to Bo to change a cultural issue. Fact is that DWI has some fairly light consequences as compared to the possible out come. If Niles has done his punishment as society's laws have deemed necessary, then I am sure in Bo's mind his punishment should be similar in scope.

skersfan,

These points pretty much sum it up, Bo is dealing Team justice that is in accord with what the legal system prescribes. You may not agree with it, but it isn't necessarily up to Bo to change a cultural issue. Fact is that DWI has some fairly light consequences as compared to the possible out come. If Niles has done his punishment as society's laws have deemed necessary, then I am sure in Bo's mind his punishment should be similar in scope.

wasn't that DT kicked off the team for less than an ounce of marijuana (which is pretty much a slap on the wrist if i'm not mistaken)?

skersfan,

wasn't that DT kicked off the team for less than an ounce of marijuana (which is pretty much a slap on the wrist if i'm not mistaken)?

Not the 1st offense... He had other problems with discipline/law if i remember correctly... (almost certain)

i agree with skersfan on this one. getting suspended for a "SPRING GAME" would be a very light punishment, and i will be disappointed if that is the end of it.

now i do not think that he should be kicked off of the team for a first offense, but i do believe that he should have to sit 1 "REGULAR SEASON" game at the least. that is what the punishment seemed to be for this last season i think

i agree with skersfan on this one. getting suspended for a "SPRING GAME" would be a very light punishment, and i will be disappointed if that is the end of it.

now i do not think that he should be kicked off of the team for a first offense, but i do believe that he should have to sit 1 "REGULAR SEASON" game at the least. that is what the punishment seemed to be for this last season i think

If Hunter can get slap on the wrist after slap on the wrist for his 183 drinking related incidents, then Niles should as well.

Not that I necessarily agree with it. But just in terms of consistency.