Niles Paul..what's next?

I am not going to lie. I am not a fan of this thread

Oh, jeez, why didn't you say so? Close down shop everyone. Someone called to complain.

you know, the sad deal here is, this is likely to surface again, maybe not with the same guys, but i wouldn't be surprised before the end of the 2009 season, some one on this team gets charged with an alcohol related offense......just seems to be an escalating trend. you have to ask yourself, how many more incidents are we going to have and then make excuses/exceptions for these kids? i don't know what the answer is, but it is a problem that doesn't seem like it is going away.

:yeah

Yes, we understand that Driving under the Influence of Alcohol is a terrible and idiotic thing to do.. And i sympathize with you for having to have gone through the suffering that must follow this type of tragedy.. That said, Niles didn't kill anyone. He didn't even wreck into anything or anyone.. There is no reason to kill him because he did something stupid. Nobody was hurt. He should feel lucky because something terrible could of happened and his life would be as good as done.. There is a reason that when someone is killed during a drunk driving accident there are other charges than a DUI. DUI in and of itself is not nearly as bad as when something worse happens....

Are you down at the courthouse every day telling everyone that gets a DUI how idiotic they are? How about people that smoke? 2nd hand smoke is a bigger killer than drunk driving isn't it?... Shouldn't they be punished accordingly? Give me a break.....

Yep I can't wait till July 1st or is it June 1st for the new law on smoking in bars, restaurants, etc here in Nebraska. I enjoy going out to bars and restaurants now that everything is smoke free in Iowa of course since it hasn't gone thru Nebraska yet. I hate leaving a place smelling like smoke and having to breathe in smoke :wacko:

But back to the subject. I think being suspended for the spring game isn't such a bad idea the more I think about it. Because he actually got caught during a time where our players where getting ready for spring ball and the spring game was right around the corner. I can see if Paul got pulled over for DUI around the start of the football season and suspending him for a game or two but he got pulled over around spring ball and still has a lot of time to prove himself. But Paul has had all of April to the start of season to really improve from his mistake and to prove to Bo and the rest of Husker Nation that he learned from his mistake and learn from it.

If Paul screws up anytime from today till the season I would assume that 1-2 game suspension would be up in the air and I'm sure most of us would agree on that. Only time will tell.

Yep I can't wait till July 1st or is it June 1st for the new law on smoking in bars, restaurants, etc here in Nebraska. I enjoy going out to bars and restaurants now that everything is smoke free in Iowa of course since it hasn't gone thru Nebraska yet. I hate leaving a place smelling like smoke and having to breathe in smoke :wacko:

Nothing to do with the thread but . . . . rather than ban smoking in ALL bars and restaurants - make the owner choose - smoking or non-smoking and let the market place decide. If you have a smoking bar and there is a lot of competition, switch to a non-smoking bar and you will make more money. And the government doesn't need to put its big nose into everyone's business.

i agree with skersfan on this one. getting suspended for a "SPRING GAME" would be a very light punishment, and i will be disappointed if that is the end of it.

now i do not think that he should be kicked off of the team for a first offense, but i do believe that he should have to sit 1 "REGULAR SEASON" game at the least. that is what the punishment seemed to be for this last season i think

If Hunter can get slap on the wrist after slap on the wrist for his 183 drinking related incidents, then Niles should as well.

Not that I necessarily agree with it. But just in terms of consistency.

correct me if i am wrong, but didnt Hunter have to sit out a regular game or two

I guess the point is, as Hunter94 said, and I have said it is getting worse. Something needs to be done to persuade these kids that it is not acceptable. Not acceptable as human beings, let alone a representative of our Universtiy or program.

Harsher treatment is needed. The spring games means nothing. The coaches have said their observation was complete before the game. The game is just for fun.

I never said kick him off the team. I said set him for a year, or at least that is what I meant. This is the highest level athlete we have had do this. His ethics were above comparisson according to some. Making hims the scapegoat maynot be popular, but it will send a message that Bo is serious about drinking and driving, under age drinking and the things that go with it.

This program needs to be above this stigma.

As stated, I have no hardon for Niles. Who ever drinks and drives is looking for serious trouble.

We all agree about drinking and driving, it is not to be tolerated any longer. I don't think that keeping a kid from playing for a year is the answer. Unless the rest of college football is on the same page. I can't see giving an opponent an edge during the season, or a recruiting edge because of our tough stance on DUI or any other major violation that other schools won't enforce for their players, for the same types of violations.

If you don't think other schools won't use it against us your wrong. I know I would want all the recruiting edge I could get. NCAA has enough rules as it is, but maybe a list of things, that could warrant a year ban, could be at least looked at. I don't think Nebraska or any other school should go it alone on any kind of year ban. IMO.

GBR!!!

i agree with skersfan on this one. getting suspended for a "SPRING GAME" would be a very light punishment, and i will be disappointed if that is the end of it.

now i do not think that he should be kicked off of the team for a first offense, but i do believe that he should have to sit 1 "REGULAR SEASON" game at the least. that is what the punishment seemed to be for this last season i think

If Hunter can get slap on the wrist after slap on the wrist for his 183 drinking related incidents, then Niles should as well.

Not that I necessarily agree with it. But just in terms of consistency.

correct me if i am wrong, but didnt Hunter have to sit out a regular game or two

I know of at least 5 drinking related incidents with Hunter just in the last few years. The guy should have been off the team a long, long time ago.

Any punishment he got after the first couple was nothing but a slap on the wrist when he should be off the team.