Sam Keller files lawsuit against EA sports and the NCAA

Did Michael Crabtree Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, Reggie Bush etc. get paid for being on the cover of these games or does that cash go to the University? On www.huskers.com you can buy what they are pimping as Johnny Rodgers or Mike Rozier or Tommie Frazier or Will Shields jerseys. Do the former players get any of that action or is it tough luck for them and payday for NU?

Also I mentioned it before, what is the difference in EASports making money off of the players "likeness" in this game and that guy that got told to stop selling his Helu is my Homeboy shirts?

Or like I mentioned how about the walk-on that is on this game? What about them.

Did Michael Crabtree Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, Reggie Bush etc. get paid for being on the cover of these games or does that cash go to the University? On www.huskers.com you can buy what they are pimping as Johnny Rodgers or Mike Rozier or Tommie Frazier or Will Shields jerseys. Do the former players get any of that action or is it tough luck for them and payday for NU?

Also I mentioned it before, what is the difference in EASports making money off of the players "likeness" in this game and that guy that got told to stop selling his Helu is my Homeboy shirts?

Or like I mentioned how about the walk-on that is on this game? What about them.

My post right above yours explains your first question. 8% of all money made goes to the specific university, and it is there payday in that sense. None of it is seen by the players.

And as to your second point, which I kind of said in my post above yours as well, if a player is going to be used in a game they should see some of that money. Look at any video game that has real people in it (like those terrible 50 cent games, Lord of the Rings games, etc.) those guys make money off of being in those games. Just because they are in college, that doesn't mean they shouldn't receive money for being in a video game imho.

I know the players on the covers are no longer in college. Like this last season had Darren Mcfadden. Reggie Bush was on the cover after he was already on the Saints roster.

As for old school players I dont know...

one question i hadnt thought about is their amutuer status. To keep that you can not be paid or have endorsements Where would royalties fall into that??

Good for Sam, so what if it's just a ploy for money? It's a good strategy to try to get some dough.

I hope he wins, I just dont want EA sports to take away the likenesses and numbers of the players, that's all the fun of the game.

what do you think will happen?

If they do have to change everything, will your thoughts change then?

I am pretty curious as to what people think about this

If this results in major changes in the game, then I will forever dislike Sam Keller (more than I already do) and extremely dislike the game and most likely not play it. I think that players should get something out of these games, but not to the point of where it becomes a problem and the entire game has to changed. If that is what has to happen this lawsuit to go through, then I am not OK with it.

The universities are making money using player likenesses. EA Sports is also making money in similar ways. The only reason the players themselves don't get any money out of the deal is because the NCAA says so. If they were doing something else, like skiing or skydiving or whatever, and their likeness was used in the same way, they'd get paid for it. And could sue someone who used their likeness without permission.

So the question is: can and should the NCAA be allowed to do this? Personally, I don't think the NCAA should be able to do it - the players should get a cut of the money or be able to opt out of having their likeness used.

I have to wonder if there aren't some releases that should be signed by players when they play for a university? If there hasn't been, maybe there will be now? I don't feel that this suit will be taken too seriously, because if it is, it will basically put EA Sports out of business - or any other game manufacturer out there now or in the future.

If a player for a university refuses to sign on, it basically would make that university's roster obsolete. I can see some kid coming along, being the "star player" and demanding a bigger cut of the action. I have a hard time believing a lawyer out there actually took this one on. The court will throw this one out rather quickly.

This raises another question...is the university being paid or is the NCAA reaping all the financial benefit out of these games?

Bad Sam Keller...bad!! :nutz If he was going to do something like this, or if I was the lawyer willing to take a case like this, I would have went out and got some other kids signed on so I could make it a class action lawsuit. But then you do realize that if they actually won this case it would drive the prices of the games through the ceiling, with every kid wanting their cut.

:sarcasm And oh yeah...I think I seen a fan on there that looked JUST like me and had the same clapping motion...I want my share, too, damn it!! :horns2

Watch out Mods...I see several smilies that look just like me on here, too, since I am bald and not that tall... :hellloooo have anger issues :nutz:steamdedhoarse and a drinking problem :wasted:cheers !!

wow....

that's really low. is this for real? sounds like he's really desparate for some money. and i've always had pretty high regard for sam keller as a guy. sorry sam, that's just f'n retarded.

I just had to edit this comment...

Well when you party like Sam Kellar does you tend to "blow" through cash quite quickly.

:laughpound

wow....

that's really low. is this for real? sounds like he's really desparate for some money. and i've always had pretty high regard for sam keller as a guy. sorry sam, that's just f'n retarded.

Well when you "party" like Sam Kellar does you tend to burn through cash quite quickly.

:sarcasm Real life after college just really sucks...having bills, pregnant girlfriends, and having to buy your own beer...oh yeah, and for most of the rest of us - those Sallie Mae loans that we have to pay off!!

Good for Sam, so what if it's just a ploy for money? It's a good strategy to try to get some dough.

I hope he wins, I just dont want EA sports to take away the likenesses and numbers of the players, that's all the fun of the game.

:clap:yeah

Back in my modeling days, I always signed a contract first before they could use my likeness..Although that time I won the Lotto..I did grow a beard first and wore a disguise before I turned in my winning ticket..

I still don't know how the paparazzi are able to shoot those pictures of me in my skivvies without my written consent.

:dunno

I'd like to see EA pay each player a half cent for each copy sold to be put in a scholarship fund for finishing up their degree or even paying for daycare for their kids..bypass the NCAA altogether.

Some Tribes think if you take some one's picture, you capture their soul, so EA might have to make provisions for "non-permissions"

http://www.easports.com/

NCAA Footballl 10 is coming! - Be sure to take advantage of our 2010 pre-sale, and save up to $10 on your 2010 rosters: Purchase New | Download | Mail In